General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fear of Curves

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 07:00 AM
Maclugie
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You should not be on a motorcycle.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:21 AM
bigalv63
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I try to do what many have said here in that I take the curves at the posted speeds as I finally realize the signs are there for a good reason...One place here in Arizona not only has the signs but the metal marker things in the road to make you slow down becuz so many bikers have wrecked in this area toward Sonoita, AZ.....As far as other's abilities over mine.. Glad they are all so great......I left that port a long time ago....You just do as they say...ride your own ride and don't let others make you ride like they do.....You'll be fine ...just ride and ride safe....bigal v I also quit riding in groups for the most part becuz ,,,Yes,,,,some of them run into each other...some of them wreck on their own and all kinds of stuff....I do my own thing on my Harley...

Old 10-04-2010, 07:32 AM
BobStreetBob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by toastman
how are you gonna tell him to not listen to people he doesn't know, then proceed to give him advice?
lmao.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:34 AM
t059736
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I believe it's always good to "push" yourself to the edges of what YOU believe are your limitations.
Riding with more skillful riders may help in this regard if they recognize your limitations and leave your riding up to you.
"Scraping floorboards"; unless you got FB extensions, tells you that you're at 80% maximum of the bikes lean. I'm not sure how one gets by the floorboards to get to a 100% but I digress.
The only issues I have on sharp, hard, tight corners are: animals, gravel, wet leaves potholes, etc. etc.
I try not to focus on other vehicle license plates; that narrows your vision and you're looking down as opposed to up.
Find a "quiet road" with lots of corners, ride it in both directions many times, becoming familiar with it will help you to "push" you.
Ride In Peace

Old 10-04-2010, 07:44 AM
greglal
Cruiser

First off, like everyone else said never ride beyond your comfort level or abilities.
So what you need to do is get more comfortable and confident in the corners.
I suggest practicing the following, it will give you a much more comfortable feel in the corners by...
Reducing the lean angle needed
Increase your traction on the road
Center the gravity forces on your body

You don't need to lean off the bike like you're racing, a little shift of your back and shoulders and a slight slide of your *** cheek. Before you enter the corner pick your line, as you enter smoothly shift your back and shoulders to the inside and slide your butt just a little; and very important look through the corner, not right in front of you. Don't be looking at the curb look to the end of the corner in your line where you want the bike to actually be. It's amazing how this technique inspires confidence, comfort and ability. Practice this and tell me if it doesn't calm your anxiety.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:51 AM
redmonster13
Road Captain

ride to your comfort level, remember life is not a race, being dead first doesnt mean you win.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:53 AM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts

I don't really agree with some of the comments here about if you can't ride the speed limit you don't belong on a bike. It just depends. Here at the Lake of the Ozarks, all of our roads are curvy, twisty and full of blind hill tops. Hell, we have to go out of our way to find a straight road.

The particular lake road that I live on has posted 55 mile per hour limit. I don't do that when I take my truck into town. They are full of deer, gravel kicked on the road, wet leaves, you name it. Last night coming home I counted 19 deer on a 6 mile stretch. No, I stay around 45 when I ride the bike, a little faster in my truck, but seldom do I hit 55.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:00 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 662 Likes on 412 Posts

Ride your own ride. Never let others compromise your safety.

I also suggest you take an advanced rider's course or attend a trackday school. I've been riding for 30+ years and attend a trackday about every two years. Unlike pipes and chrome bling which come and go when you buy/sell a bike, proper riding skills will benefit you forever.

As for the present, when you enter a curve try looking through it toward the exit. This will help you improve your line through the curve and allowing higher speeds. Countersteering and proper body position help, too.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:22 AM
hamdizle
Cruiser

if you're scared to ride around curves then sell you're bike and get a car sissy.....

Old 10-04-2010, 08:28 AM
jbyun
Road Captain

Originally Posted by hamdizle
if you're scared to ride around curves then sell you're bike and get a car sissy.....
Absolutely, because every time we encounter something we're not good at in life, we should just quit and move on to other things...

Let's not forget we were all newbies and inexperienced riders at some point but I have a feeling you'd be an exception and you drove out from your mother's vagina on a Harley.

Quick Reply: Fear of Curves