Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fear of Curves

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 09:38 PM
scooter1128
Road Captain

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

could also try in an empty parking lot, getting some cones or tennis ***** (cut in half) and make some tight turns and practice. no oncoming traffic or ditches to worry about. just make sure clean of loose debris, dirt, gravel etc. and as has been said..practice looking where you want to go and not down...you will go where you look. good luck

Old 10-03-2010, 09:38 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Lot's of good advice. But don't let peer pressure get you hurt.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:41 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Other Sheep
Lot's of good advice. But don't let peer pressure get you hurt.
+1.

if they get there first, so what?

all that means is you'll know where to park and your beer will be waiting

Old 10-03-2010, 10:17 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

Forgot his first name but his last name is Hough, he wrote two books called "Proficient Motorcycling". Get at least the first. He tells you how to ride through the curves. Understanding counter steering is critical to safe riding, he explains that in detail as well.

Other than that, you have received some sound advice here. Look through the curves, not at the ground in front of you. Also, forget the speed limit and trying to keep up with someone else. Ride the speed you are comfortable at. You will progress with time. Hell, you should have seen me when I was reacquainting myself with riding.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:33 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,444 Posts

If you're talking about "blind" mountain switchbacks, slow down for them. Even if you know the road, mountains like the Rockies are falling down 24/7 and will leave rocks and boulders in the road any time of day or night. Animals and stopped vehicles are also found in the blind corners. If you're in a hurry, brake hard and downshift just before you turn in, roll through slowy on the inside of your lane and accelerate hard as soon as you have a clear view of the road ahead - "point and shoot".

Old 10-03-2010, 10:35 PM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HoggyMtnBreakdown
I have been riding motorcycles since I was 19, but bought my first H-D 2 years ago. I have always had a terrible fear of taking curves, especially blind, downhill curves, and have to slow down to a crawl, until I can see my way around them before I accelerate through the curve. I always get left behind on mountain roads, but I have one buddy in particular who rides an Ultra and always takes the curves at speeds that seem a little crazy to me. He leaves me in the dust on twisties and loves giving me advice on how to keep up, to point where I feel pressured to ride at speeds where I don't feel comfortable. I don't mind scraping floorboard or anything, I just feel uncomfortable taking curves at speed, which I can't see around, for fear that they might tighten up on me, sending me into a ditch or worse, oncoming traffic. Is there anything I can do help overcome my fear? Any advice from anybody here, or does it just come with practice and experience? It just seems to me that no amount of experience can bring comfort in taking a blind curve at the speeds I see a lot of riders do.
a shot of whiskey might help...

Old 10-03-2010, 10:36 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

best advise do what is comfy do not listed to people who don`t know you having said that what the guy said above look forward your bike will go where you are looking if you look to your right thats where you aare going

Old 10-03-2010, 10:42 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by wideglidebob
best advise do what is comfy do not listed to people who don`t know you having said that what the guy said above look forward your bike will go where you are looking if you look to your right thats where you aare going
how are you gonna tell him to not listen to people he doesn't know, then proceed to give him advice?

Old 10-03-2010, 10:46 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff W
my advice is, let him go as fast as he is comfortable with, and you do what your comfortable with, Accidents happen when a person pushes themselves into riding beyond their ability. Just ride, if you need to corner slower, then slow it is, and go home intact with a bike intact...really man, just ride your ride.
I agree just ride in your zone, first you get good then you get crazy.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:47 PM
Elginator
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RK4ME
If you're talking about "blind" mountain switchbacks, slow down for them. Even if you know the road, mountains like the Rockies are falling down 24/7 and will leave rocks and boulders in the road any time of day or night. Animals and stopped vehicles are also found in the blind corners. If you're in a hurry, brake hard and downshift just before you turn in, roll through slowy on the inside of your lane and accelerate hard as soon as you have a clear view of the road ahead - "point and shoot".
+1 Some people have x-ray eyes, so they can look through the curve even when it is blocked by a wall of rock. The rest of us are just gambling by not slowing down on blind curves.

Quick Reply: Fear of Curves