General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fear of Curves

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 07:39 AM
Elginator
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Not having read though 2 miles of posts all I can offer in solid advice not being a smart *** or mean is either man up & take an advanced riders coarse were you scrap the pipes , pegs and the heel on your boots learning to handle a bike & ride a curve at speed safely and confidently . Or find another hobby this one is going to get somebody killed or at minimum cause a major wreck . It only gets worse as you get older man you may have riding skills but your head is not in the game , something sudden your in a bad way .
You owe it to the other forum members to read the thread before adding more redundancy yourself. Especially before posting a shallow, knee jerk reaction.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:27 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,985 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 10-06-2010 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:31 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,985 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by Elginator
You owe it to the other forum members to read the thread before adding more redundancy yourself. Especially before posting a shallow, knee jerk reaction.

I wish it was as simple as a knee jerk thing I would still have 2 good friends alive today if they would have taken that riding class for the very same problem . If you would have read my comment it said was not meant in a bad way it was a from the heart suggestion that may save his or someone else,s life . I have been to too many funerals for riders that didn't have to die . So please take your self righteous dribble and go F*ck yourself nicely .

PS : I don't " owe " anyone anything if you don't like something skip over please , may save you a chipped nail typing all angry like that .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 10-06-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:35 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by HoggyMtnBreakdown
I have been riding motorcycles since I was 19, but bought my first H-D 2 years ago. I have always had a terrible fear of taking curves, especially blind, downhill curves, and have to slow down to a crawl, until I can see my way around them before I accelerate through the curve. I always get left behind on mountain roads, but I have one buddy in particular who rides an Ultra and always takes the curves at speeds that seem a little crazy to me. He leaves me in the dust on twisties and loves giving me advice on how to keep up, to point where I feel pressured to ride at speeds where I don't feel comfortable. I don't mind scraping floorboard or anything, I just feel uncomfortable taking curves at speed, which I can't see around, for fear that they might tighten up on me, sending me into a ditch or worse, oncoming traffic. Is there anything I can do help overcome my fear? Any advice from anybody here, or does it just come with practice and experience? It just seems to me that no amount of experience can bring comfort in taking a blind curve at the speeds I see a lot of riders do.

You answered your own question. I'm no guided missile for sure. If I feel pressure and don't feel comfortable that means 2 things:

1. I am riding beyond my skill level and/or reflex ability.
2. I stopped having fun.
3. Training courses may help, but it it stops being fun for you, why go faster? If you wanted to careen around curves, you probably would have bought a Hyabusa.