General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The new Harley six speed or Gold Wing ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 03:46 AM
5701andbroke
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The new Harley six speed or Gold Wing ?

If you gotta ask you belong on the honda.

Old 09-20-2006, 09:19 AM
Jular2
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I completed 2 road trips on my Harley's--one 3921 miles and one 9927 miles--no problems--I am only 70--not old enough to be a Wingdinger yet.

Old 09-20-2006, 01:43 PM
Inforit
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

One of my co workers bought a Goldwing after looking into Harleys and BMWs, and asked me if I wanted to take it for a spin. What can I say, the performance and handling is like a sports bike. Switching gears is smooth as butter and just has an overall smooth feel. What I didn't like is that after 1 minute of riding is that I got a cramp in my right side hip due to the leg position when riding. I could not ride that thing for long distances with the controls the way they are. And another thing is that you lose the feeling of riding a motorcycle, bike has no character and it feels like you are driving a 2 wheel car. So after my short test ride, I was glad to be back on my Road King and feel the rumble and the roar of the engine that the Harley's vtwin engines have. Another thing to consider, if you do break down on a Harley there is a dealerships less than 100 miles from one another where you can tow to get it fixed (only speaking on the east coast, do not know about everywhere else). Good luck finding a Honda motorcycle dealership when you break down on the Wing.

These are some things to consider,

Good luck on your purchase.

Old 09-20-2006, 04:26 PM
dogtownmax
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Inforit
Good luck finding a Honda motorcycle dealership when you break down on the Wing.
Ride what you want, but everywhere I have lived, there are lots of honda dealerships. Honda products are actually pretty widely available in the US.

Old 09-20-2006, 04:44 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

5 pages so far, and from your post I feel your mind was made up before you wrote it, before you buy your honda, you should read the goldwing forum, their new wings have a host of issues, overheating being a big one. I thought of buying one for a day or two, till I read up on them and then sat on one, hated the seating and footpeg position, and they are overwhelmingly huge, its like a two wheeled civic And just not at all what I wanted when I thought about it. If all you want is to go from point a to point b then its fine,it makes for good transportation.
ORIGINAL: Big Boys Toys

PLEASE PLEASE . Before you flame the hell out of me, I’ve been a devoted Harley man for years. This is a serious question for me and im asking my brothers here to be honest with me.
I have owned three Harley’s. Soft tail , Bagger and ultra classic. I’ve taken trips on my Ultra but it has left me broke down from time to time. I find myself making runs to each Harley shop rather than just going where I want. I guess I don’t trust it anymore, but my friends same the same thing. Well , there’s a lot of people on here that have taken trips on there Harley’s also so I thought I would ask them about reliability issues.
My friend bought a Gold Wing the other day. He let me ride it. MAN it blew me away. What a ride. I talked to several guy’s that own one and they all say gas an go. They travel all over the united states and don’t worry.
Which brings me to my question. I want to travel for a while. Long runs like to Cala and Phili. Should I go with the Honda Or the New Harley six speed ? Im hearing there having problems with it already. I don’t know if it’s just me or Harley , but it seems we can’t trust the bike like we used to. To much new stuff.

Old 09-20-2006, 07:29 PM
Alaska Bobber
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I will chime in. Specially since I JUST went to the Alton, IL Harley Dealer and they just happen to be a Honda Dealer as well.

They have a UC sitting right next to a Goldwing. I jumped on both. I ride a 06 FXDBI (streetbob) and I love it. I have owned Suzuki Intruders, Kawa Vulcans, Gixxers, Katana and Even a Old *** Vega.

The GW was not the bike for me. I am not going to bash GW. Hell it might be the perfect bike for you. If it is I hope you buy it and ride the hell out of it.

The UC is a nice sled. Foot position, Hand Position, Weight distrobution....All felt "right" to me.

Price was about the same for both. They were within a few sheckles and were equipped the same.

I personally think you should go get whatever it is you want. I ride a Harley. I will always ride a Harley. If I want a sport bike I will buy a Buell.

For me the GW is a overpriced pile of soulless metal.

I wish you luck in your purchase.

Old 09-20-2006, 08:44 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Call both brands customer service depts,buy the brand that answers the quickest.

Old 09-20-2006, 08:52 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I have been in both the local HD dealership, and now the local Honda/Victory Dealership. I have only had good experiences with HD (exc when they wanted to wait 3 days to fix a major leak, on the bike I had bought from them the day before).

Today, I went in to the Victory/Honda dealer, to buy a jacket. (sorry...not gonna pay $$$$ for a leather jacket that sez HD on it)...anyway, I was talkin to the guy behind the counter, and he asked why I was there, and not at the HD shop. When I told him about the prices for a jacket that sez HD, he replied "yea.....just like their bikes". I reminded him that Victory's pricing is pretty close to HD, and he said "Well...yea, thats true, but if Victory doesn't keep the prices closes, people will think they are junk". I then mentioned that my 13 yr old FLH will still get an asking price of $8500 or more, and it is pretty unlikely that a 13 yr old Honda will fetch that price tag. Again, he agreed. Maybe he shouldn't have bashed on Harley bike prices. Maybe I took his comment out of context, but it rubbed me the wrong way.

Old 09-20-2006, 09:07 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes they do hold their values better than others.Yet nowhere like they did before production numbers grew.The higher production #s are hurting the now.

Old 09-20-2006, 09:16 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I can't believe this stupid thread has been going on for six days and six pages or that I looked at it again. Who here really cares about a Honda anyway? Aren't we all Harley riders?

Quick Reply: The new Harley six speed or Gold Wing ?