General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The new Harley six speed or Gold Wing ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 10:44 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts
Default RE: The new Harley six speed or Gold Wing ?

Have you gone to a Goldwing forum and asked about Harley's?

Old 09-16-2006, 02:04 PM
IU_Booger
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well my first bike was a Honda.. gas and go great bike great ride. The entire time I owned it, personally, the thought was “ I wish I could afford a Harley”. Now that is not bashing my Honda for a second, I wish I had kept it. I have taken long rides on both, and both were gas and go. Once I broke in my seat on my Harley, I can ride all day. To me it is what you can afford, and what you want. I bought them both used, with low mileage on them, it seems a majority of riders, buy bikes and do not run them. I see a lot of wings on the road and I’m sure they are great rides. I wave at them, they wave at me.
I have been bashed by Harley people when I rode a Honda and I am bashed by Honda owners now that I ride a Harley. Now I’ve only been riding for 8 years so.. not a lot of history, other then this, I stop when I see a bike on the side of the road. I have never had someone stop for me I read about it, but never experienced it. I have never really broken down on either bike, other than ran out of gas twice and a flat once. I have simply criteria for a bike, it starts, it fits me, I like it and it has a cigarette lighter, it has a gas tank to take me places. And in my humble opinion, now that I own a Harley, I am free of the “ego” or self image of owning one. And if I buy another one new or used I just buy what I like based on my butt and my wallet. For me I figured out it was the ride, and not anything else that is important to me. I would feel exactly the same I think on any bike.

Old 09-16-2006, 02:29 PM
Fred00
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Psycho

You're comparing an 1800 cc bike with a 1550 cc bike. Try comparing closer displacements and see what you get:

Screamin Eagle Electra glide 1690 CC.
It makes 84.1 rear-wheel ponies at 5750 rpm. Peak torque arrives at 2750 rpm, where its pumping 94.3 foot-pounds to the rear wheel. The extras muscle down low allowed harder launches or the luxury of ignoring first gear and easing way in second with little clutch slip. Its full-goose power—as shown by its 13.09-second, 98.3-mph quarter-mile sprint
From here: http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roa...electra_glide/

Honda Goldwing 1800 CC
Corrected 1/4-mile* 12.78 sec. @ 103.3 mph
0-60 mph 4.44 sec.
0-100 mph 13.27 sec.
Top-gear roll-on, 60-80 mph 5.90 sec.
Power to weight ratio** 10.25 lb/hp
Fuel mileage (low/high/average) 30/40/36
Cruising range (exc. reserve) 205 miles
CD changer capacity 6 discs
So with a 110 cc advantage, the honda is only able to shorten the quarter mile up by .31 seconds. Hardly any superior engineering there in my opinion.
In all honesty, there are better times for the Goldwing. Like in the link below, 12.14 @ 106 mph.

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/technical/JAN06Pindx2.pdf

Old 09-18-2006, 10:06 PM
ecvjohn
Banned

So BBT, did you sell your chopper in the last couple of days? If your going to try and BS people at least keep your lies straight.

Old 09-19-2006, 03:34 AM
RMBob
Cruiser

Exactly what I was thinking ecvjohn. I think BBT should jump on his GSXR and ride on out of here. Maybe he could post a few pics of him on one of his Harley's or his Big Dog. I don't think so. If you want a Goldwing BBT, sell your GSXR and buy one. The main thing is that you ride, not what you ride.

Old 09-19-2006, 03:02 PM
Big Boys Toys
Banned

mvlow. Where you live ? If not to far I would love to show you my bike.

Old 09-19-2006, 03:16 PM
jimbo21165
Banned

,.....hmmmm, well, yesterday, he said he had sold his chopper, but still drives it.

This is some good comedy, .....GIT ER DONE!!!!!

Old 09-19-2006, 04:22 PM
Big Boys Toys
Banned

Your a trouble maker. I told you I sold my bike. I did. The guy is to finalize everything at His bank Friday. If He does it's sold. Until then I can show it to whomever I wish.

Old 09-20-2006, 12:22 AM
RMBob
Cruiser

Then post a picture of it.

Old 09-20-2006, 02:35 AM
librarian
Intermediate

I rode Hondas for 40 years and last May bought a 2001 UC. I sold my 1500 wing about a week after I got the UC. I have had one issue with the UC. I had to have the stator replaced. Other than that, it is running great and puts a smile on my face that could not be removed by a heavy wire brush. Several of the posts have mentioned things good and bad about wings. I agree that there are issues with the 1800 series. Personally, I wouldn't buy one, but I know of several that have run reliably past 100K miles. I do think the 1500 wings are the most bullet proof bikes yet made. Even so, the comments I read about foot position are still true of all wings to greater and lesser degrees. There is just no room to move your foot/leg position comfortably. I had floorboards on mine for two seasons, but took them off just before I sold the bike. I understand why Honda doesn't put floorboards on as a stock item. They are awkward and reduce rear braking times in a way that Harley floorboards don't do. I can get to the rear brake on my Harley just as quickly as I could my wing when it was equipped with the stock footpegs. The wing with floorboards required a complete lift of my foot onto a dead pedal in order to use the rear brake. It just took too long in an emergency situation. Also, highway pegs on my 1500 wing were in an awkward position and were just not comfortable.

So, I gave up some power for better riding position (at least for me) and better low speed handling. As for the reliablity compared between the two bikes, for me the jury is still out. I know I will have cam chain tensioners to replace by the end of next year (guessing at around 35K miles). I see that as just regular maintenance. I haven't decided whether it would be worth it to go with a set of Andrews 26 gear driven cams to remove the need for worrying about tensioners in the future. As for the Harley family issue, I think it may be more evident when one is on a long road trip. Locally, the nicest bunch of folks at any dealership in my area are the guys at the local Yamaha/Kawasaki dealership. I bought a Kawaski Mule 610 from them last fall and I couldn't ask for better treatment. The local Harley dealership is nice too, but they are not in the same class as the Yam/Kaw shop.

Unless my UC treats me so bad I can't stand it, I can't see me riding anything else. It just feels so good to be on that bike, I don't see how anything else could be as wonderful to ride.

Quick Reply: The new Harley six speed or Gold Wing ?