General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The new Harley six speed or Gold Wing ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 07:12 PM
DoCPooF
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: The new Harley six speed or Gold Wing ?

I guess if you don't enjoy the rumble under your seat, or the sweet exhaust sound of the harley, if you don't like to feel the road under you and don't really care about riding a legend, if you don't really care about the brotherhood of HD then - go with the goldwing. Oh, don't expect it to hold it's value either, my neighbor lost his **** on his when he traded into a Road King.

I personally would get bored of riding something so quiet and smooth.

Ask Inforit - He rode a goldwing and couldn't wait to get back on his Road King.

But, to each his own. Good luck with your new purchase.

Old 09-14-2006, 07:17 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Psycho

When I was a kid, one of my older cousins informed me that 95 percent of what I would hear in life would be bullsh*t, and that my job was to sort out the 5 percent that is not bullsh*t. So, with that in mind, I always try to get to the bottom of statements that appear to be "common knowlege" and generally find they are closer to "urban myth" than gospel.

With that in mind, I don't take much of anything at face value, and one sore spot for me, is constantly hearing over and over again that foreign vehicles/motorcycles are somehow better, when there is absolutely no overwhelming or solid data, whatsoever, to prove the argument.

IMO, if it weren't for american free economy, ingenuity, and hard work, the rest of the world would likely still be hooking oxen to a wooden wheeled cart to get around.
That may be what you think, but there is a lot solid data out there to prove the foreign engineered cars (Japanese) are better overall, but the American cars are getting a lot better since they were forced to improve their quality by the quality of the Honda's and Toyota's and the like that started taking over the market. Over the years I have had many American built cars and every one of them was more troublesome than the last 3 Honda's that I have purchased. The only car that was almost trouble free was my 65' Mustang 289 fastback ( I wish I still owned that one ). Both GM vehicles that I purchased new, a 67' GTO and a 77' full sized Blazer were total crap from the finish to the mechanicals. The other Ford and Chrysler products were somwhere in between. I also had a lousy 79' VW Rabbit that I ranked right down there with the GM cars I owned. Now my Harley on the other hand has been very good and the only problem I had was the 8° injector problem which was fixed with the 25° CVO injectors and some fine tuning with my SERT.

Old 09-14-2006, 07:20 PM
TampaJim
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: atomic

I read that this BMW has a power windshield. That is kind of cool. But probably another case of going overboard on features.
I have a BMW with the power windshield and it's the best thing since sliced bread. Use it all the time when touring.

If you are really serious about touring, might want to look at these alternatives:

BMW R1200RT & K1200LT7 $19,000 & $22,000
Honda ST1300 $14,000
Yamaha FJR1300 $13,000
Kaw Concours $8,500

I also have a Harley (Superglide) and it's my ride of choice for day in /day out riding but for long distance touring and high speed, the Beemer rules.
It has weather protection, no wind buffeting is very comfortable running at high speeds. The Harley (with windshield) will beat me down over 65 in about 1/2 hour.

Any of the above bikes would be as good a tourer as the Goldwing, and there are pros and cons on each.

Old 09-14-2006, 07:31 PM
ENZOTHEBAKER
Tourer

Im beginning to think that the SE Roadking in blue is the best looking bike HD has ever put out.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3026/EAF1318ECC89477B997016DCDA20289A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-14-2006, 07:31 PM
cjmilez
Ultimate HDF Member

Hmmm..makes me wonder when people jump on board, and WANT a reason for them to BUY a Harley.....and then compare them (negatively) with other brands of bikes.... Jim, I think we got one on our hands???

Old 09-14-2006, 07:57 PM
Punky Brewster
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: cjmilez

Hmmm..makes me wonder when people jump on board, and WANT a reason for them to BUY a Harley.....and then compare them (negatively) with other brands of bikes.... Jim, I think we got one on our hands???
Yea been watching this one,seeing where it's going.

Old 09-14-2006, 08:13 PM
OzarkHarleyguy
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ultimately you will have to live with your decision but maybe I can shed a little light since I've owned:

--'82 Wing; '84 Wing; '93 Wing; '06 Wing

--'99 ElectraGlide; '04 Heritage Softail Classic; '07 RoadKing Classic (yea I'm into the classics)

While I had the Heritage I thought I'd buy a Wing for my long trips 2 up and have my Heritage for day rides. I was especially hooked by the comfort package of heated seat, grips and the GPS Nav system. BUT here is what I ran into: I'm 6ft1 with long legs. The '06 has changed the riding position since my '93 Wing. After about an hour in the saddle my legs were sore from being cramped. So I bought hwy pegs, but then I had to straddle around that huge fairing and that wasn't comfortable either. So I sold it and bought my new RoadKing and love it.

This is a question you will have to answer but this is what I experienced. As far as dependability I keep my maint done and have never had problems with the Wings or my Harleys. The problems with the Honda frame cracks have supposedly been fixed and from '05 and newer it shouldn't be a problem.

Over the years I've had many bikes and continue to enjoy all brands. But for this time in my life and my needs the King suits me best. Good luck with your decision and whatever you do we'll wave and you wave back, cause what matters is "being in the wind."

Old 09-14-2006, 08:27 PM
Big Boys Toys
Banned

OzarkHarley guy. WHAT A POST ! Thank everyone on here for helping me out . This has been one good thread. No bashing and vewry informative. To be honest I was sold on the Gold Wing until today. A lot of you really made me think about some REALLY GOOD POINTS. Want me to share them with you ?
First - No matter what bike or manufactor you choose, theres always going to be problems. Most bikes today can provide comfort and reliability.
Second - I like the idea of seeing my motor. I love the sound.
Third - I like the way you guys treated me today with all my post and questions. I didn't get that with the wing people.
Fourth - Resale
Fifth - If im going to travel how much better can I ask than a store that has signs up everywhere and a store in just about every town. Thats relibility .
Sixth - Theres love with the harley people. Its more than just a bike or plastic. Its more than a sound or metal. Its a FULL PACKAGE . No other bike manufacture can give me this. Ive been to over76 bike rallies now and everything is geared to Harley and people that love Harley. I really like that.

Old 09-14-2006, 08:30 PM
Big Boys Toys
Banned

OzarkHarley guy. WHAT A POST ! Thank everyone on here for helping me out . This has been one good thread. No bashing and vewry informative. To be honest I was sold on the Gold Wing until today. A lot of you really made me think about some REALLY GOOD POINTS. Want me to share them with you ?
First - No matter what bike or manufactor you choose, theres always going to be problems. Most bikes today can provide comfort and reliability.
Second - I like the idea of seeing my motor. I love the sound.
Third - I like the way you guys treated me today with all my post and questions. I didn't get that with the wing people.
Fourth - Resale
Fifth - If im going to travel how much better can I ask than a store that has signs up everywhere and a store in just about every town. Thats relibility .
Sixth - Theres love with the harley people. Its more than just a bike or plastic. Its more than a sound or metal. Its a FULL PACKAGE . No other bike manufacture can give me this. Ive been to over76 bike rallies now and everything is geared to Harley and people that love Harley. I really like that.

Old 09-14-2006, 08:40 PM
Psycho
Road Master

ORIGINAL: oldfartjc

ORIGINAL: Psycho

When I was a kid, one of my older cousins informed me that 95 percent of what I would hear in life would be bullsh*t, and that my job was to sort out the 5 percent that is not bullsh*t. So, with that in mind, I always try to get to the bottom of statements that appear to be "common knowlege" and generally find they are closer to "urban myth" than gospel.

With that in mind, I don't take much of anything at face value, and one sore spot for me, is constantly hearing over and over again that foreign vehicles/motorcycles are somehow better, when there is absolutely no overwhelming or solid data, whatsoever, to prove the argument.

IMO, if it weren't for american free economy, ingenuity, and hard work, the rest of the world would likely still be hooking oxen to a wooden wheeled cart to get around.
That may be what you think, but there is a lot solid data out there to prove the foreign engineered cars (Japanese) are better overall, but the American cars are getting a lot better since they were forced to improve their quality by the quality of the Honda's and Toyota's and the like that started taking over the market. Over the years I have had many American built cars and every one of them was more troublesome than the last 3 Honda's that I have purchased. The only car that was almost trouble free was my 65' Mustang 289 fastback ( I wish I still owned that one ). Both GM vehicles that I purchased new, a 67' GTO and a 77' full sized Blazer were total crap from the finish to the mechanicals. The other Ford and Chrysler products were somwhere in between. I also had a lousy 79' VW Rabbit that I ranked right down there with the GM cars I owned. Now my Harley on the other hand has been very good and the only problem I had was the 8° injector problem which was fixed with the 25° CVO injectors and some fine tuning with my SERT.

If the data is out there, then how about showing it to me, instead of telling me about it.

And I'm not talking about "survey" type data, from sources such as consumer reports either. That stuff is pure opinion. I'm talking about 20 year hard number studies on cost of ownership.

Quick Reply: The new Harley six speed or Gold Wing ?