General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The new Harley six speed or Gold Wing ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 04:11 PM
atomic
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The new Harley six speed or Gold Wing ?

ORIGINAL: Terry1955

Level 1 Honda Goldwing. $19,299 plus setup/freight/tax/title and lic.
No CD Player/No CB/No self cancelling turnsignals.

Your looking at around $21,000 out the door and $2000 worth of accessories to get to an Ultra.

How do I know this? I sell them.

Level 2 and 3 include some really cool things like heated seats/GPS and ABS but still no CD player or CB.
What a motorcycle without a CB?? WHy would anyone buy one?

Funny I didn't even know you could get a CB on a motorcycle. Really don't see the point. I read that this BMW has a power windshield. That is kind of cool. But probably another case of going overboard on features.

Old 09-14-2006, 04:14 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

OK, lets discuss the 05 or 06 option. 06 possible new bike and should get a discount price. The least expensive route for a bigger engine is installing the 95 Kit, stage 1 A/C, good true duals and 6 speed gear set.

I put a Jims Crate 103 ci in mine in the fall of 04 along with the six speed gear set. There is a minor modification to the 5 speed case of cutting the shifter support ear off the case on the clutch cover (right) side. Then the gear set slips in. I noticed a 4th gear whine while it had 20-50 syn in the trans but cleared up when I went with 70w-90 syn gear grease. I don't believe in engine oil in a transmission.

A 95 kit can give you some HP and Torq numbers very close to a stroker engine. The up side of it, the 95 kit gets done without having to remove the engine from the frame. When you upgrade the gears, the trans is not removed from the frame.

Heated seats on an HD, not really sure you need it. Heated grips might be good. just be sure they are connected to the acc. switch so they can be turned off in warm weather. I live in SC and ride year round and upon occaision might use heated grips, but not the seat.

Going HD, at least you have a nationwide network of dealers. Most cases, parts are available. With HOG membership you get basic Road America that has two upper levels of assistance at a reasonable yearly fee. HD riders are more friendly that wing riders.

Old 09-14-2006, 04:15 PM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

then I would look at mine...map tucked up in a leather wrap against the windshield, tour pak slipped over the sissy bar, sleeping bag and tent attached to the pac, v twin sound and back roads calling classic chrome wires with whitewalls, ah, the waves of strangers, old and young. Harley has mastered the history of motorcycling in America and the legend continues to live....all ya gotta do is throw your leg over the saddle......can you hear it?
I can hear it alright!
sitting at my desk, trying to get a peek outside. Soon though, very soon.

Old 09-14-2006, 04:31 PM
Cowboy49
Tourer

Forget the bikes for a minute and take a look at the dealers. Read some posts here about "on the road" attention you get from most Harley dealers, and how you're treated like one of the family.

Any Honda shop I've ever been in has had the ambience of a grocery store. As a matter of fact I went in to one the other day to pick up an oil filter for my son's dirt bike, and maybe look at a pair of chaps. Sales people in the clothing dept wouldn't give me the time of day, and the expression of the guy at the parts counter was like I was wasting his time.

Bought my first HD in 1980, a Wide Glide. Gotta love the whole experience, not to mention the ride. And if it breaks, you're gonna get help from someone in the family.

Old 09-14-2006, 05:02 PM
Dancemax
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

listen guys, Harley is a Harley and Goldwing is Goldwing. Then ther is Yamaha, BMW,truinph,Kawa, Suzuki and it goes on and on. they are all wonderful bikes. You can say anything you want but the fact is it is such a wonderful world of motorcycling and we have such wonderful bikes. Having said all that...."with a Harley you are "in" with any thing else you are "out". However the future is ours to see.

Old 09-14-2006, 06:28 PM
Big Boys Toys
Banned

I here what everyone is saying so im going to be totally honest here. I to feel the love and people waving at me on my bike. I can’t go anywhere without people gathering around me. People on the road wave at me all the time. It really feels good. I own a Big Dog fully customised chopper. I took it and did a lot of work to hook it up. I truly love the feeling like nothing else in my life BUT !!! Here’s where the problem is. I can’t afford two bikes or don’t want two. I love to take trips. I really don’t mind the wind in my hair and buggs. Its my back. I don’t have anything to lean back on except my girl and I don’t want to do that to Her. Theres where the problem comes in. Plus I CAN’T STAND BILLET ALUMINUM. POLISH POLISH POLISH. Im sick of it. GOD I wish there was an easier way. Well there you go. Thats my problem. So I thought of getting red of it and buying something I could ride to the bike rallies. Just a thought. But it feels soooooo good to have people wave at me and come see the bike.

Old 09-14-2006, 06:42 PM
BlackOak®
Advanced

Buy the Goldwing --

BlackOak®

Old 09-14-2006, 06:43 PM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Get the Harley, people will still wave.

I personaly don't wave at non Harley's anymore unless they wave first, if I wave they never wave back.

Old 09-14-2006, 06:44 PM
211Chuck
Road Warrior

My wife bought me my first Harley in 40+ years of riding for
my Birthday ( a 2007 Blue Swede Pearl Ultra Classic ) I've
rode Wings many of them as well as all the rest of the big
4 from Japan my whole life.

I'll tell you this after putting 3,000 miles on this Ultra in
5 1/2 days I can't sell my Wing fast enough!!

if you really want a Wing real bad and real cheap you
know where I'm at!!

I have 3 motorcycles and I'm keeping the two best ones
2007 Ultra Classic and my 2003 Kawasaki Concours..

Old 09-14-2006, 06:48 PM
Punky Brewster
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Big Boys Toys

I here what everyone is saying so im going to be totally honest here. I to feel the love and people waving at me on my bike. I can’t go anywhere without people gathering around me. People on the road wave at me all the time. It really feels good. I own a Big Dog fully customised chopper. I took it and did a lot of work to hook it up. I truly love the feeling like nothing else in my life BUT !!! Here’s where the problem is. I can’t afford two bikes or don’t want two. I love to take trips. I really don’t mind the wind in my hair and buggs. Its my back. I don’t have anything to lean back on except my girl and I don’t want to do that to Her. Theres where the problem comes in. Plus I CAN’T STAND BILLET ALUMINUM. POLISH POLISH POLISH. Im sick of it. GOD I wish there was an easier way. Well there you go. Thats my problem. So I thought of getting red of it and buying something I could ride to the bike rallies. Just a thought. But it feels soooooo good to have people wave at me and come see the bike.
This post sounds familiar,,,,,Hey BBT do you think helmets are gay?Just asking

Quick Reply: The new Harley six speed or Gold Wing ?