General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The new Harley six speed or Gold Wing ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 01:43 PM
Big Boys Toys
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The new Harley six speed or Gold Wing ?

No wait ! Heated seats and handlebars. CD . 07 six speed. Ready to go ???? Harley

Old 09-14-2006, 01:46 PM
Wayward Son
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Terry1955

Level 1 Honda Goldwing. $19,299 plus setup/freight/tax/title and lic.
No CD Player/No CB/No self cancelling turnsignals.

Your looking at around $21,000 out the door and $2000 worth of accessories to get to an Ultra.

How do I know this? I sell them.

Level 2 and 3 include some really cool things like heated seats/GPS and ABS but still no CD player or CB.
Don't forget the coffee maker. You get an airbag however, dontcha?

What I don't like about the wing (I used to own a Valkyrie Interstate) is, where's the motor? It's a motorcycle. Don't hide the motor behind all that plastic. What I didn't like about the Valk was it was too smooth. Didn't like the shaft either. Lacks personality. The harley, it's got personality +.

Old 09-14-2006, 01:46 PM
JTC3495
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My first bike was a Honda, I could not ride 15 miles without it breaking. I am now on my third Harley and not one has left me stranded.

Old 09-14-2006, 02:01 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

What about looking around and seeing if any dealers have any 06 Ultras on the floor still? You could get a killer deal if you find one most likely, and could use that difference to get a Baker 6spd and/or bump the motor up some.

Granted, you would be extremely limited on the color choices though.

Old 09-14-2006, 02:01 PM
kingultra
Cruiser

I did the price thing too:

Best price on gw with navigation, comfort pack (heated seats) and premium audio
18500.00 (this is the best you will get-you may need to travel for this price Abernathy's Union City TN)
cb - 1000.00 installed
cd - 1000.00 installed
Headset for intercom Harley comes with just one -500.00
total 21000.00 plus all the dealer SH**
6speed tranny - who knows what this cost
pipes so your bike does not sound like a sewing machine 800.00 installed

Ultra glide
21500 with cd, cb, headset for intercom
heated seats - Not needed. close you vented lowers and you will have as much heat as the heated seats will give you - I guess if you still needed you can buy a corbin for 800.00 but this is what the wingers buy anyway because the stock seat is not that good
GPS - this is extra - you can get a unit for around 300.00 that is much better than the very simple and basic gps that comes with the
Here is another selling piont - satalite radio not equiped but the unit is ready to except for around 500.00 (added Chip)- Yeah you can add a stand along unit for cheaper but not that the hand controls will work

Price is closer than you think.

Here is something that helped me make my choice - sit on the wing - You will sit straight up with your feet below your butt. (with not much room around your feet) felt funny to me. Also on the wing you get pegs for your feet to rest on. floor boards on the Ultra support mor of your feet and will be feel better after a long ride. Most wingers add floor boards or extra wide pegs for this reason. Now you goto add another 500.00 to the goldwing price

Now sit on the Ultra - You sit in a more natural position with your feet slightly in front of you.

now add the highway pegs - goldwing - because of the fairing your legs will be spead wide like spread eagle wide. Not this way on the ultra.

Old 09-14-2006, 03:02 PM
Keith_H
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know you said you want to travel more and this is all about when you're out on the highway but don't rule out the percentage of time you are not out on the road but home and about. Out on the road what, at most 10%, 20% of the year, what about the other 80%. To me this is also a factor and now you're getting into the full riding experience. Would you rather a Harley or Honda about town, poker runs, in the dealer for scheduled maint., clubs, friends, on and on?? Lot more to riding than the annual long haul from point A to B. Even this web site is part of the overall experience. I know which i prefer, just trying to give you some food for thought.

Old 09-14-2006, 03:12 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Save some money and buy an 05 or 06 Classic and put the six speed gear set in it. I put the 6 spd gears in my 03 case in late 04 and really like it. I don't have the problems that the 07's have.

Old 09-14-2006, 03:23 PM
Big Boys Toys
Banned

I didnt know you could do that. What about the bigger engine though ? Would be cool to have a carb rather than a injection. What do ya think ?

Old 09-14-2006, 03:24 PM
jward
Tourer

At the money you are talking about, you must try the BMW K1200LT...THE long distance King-I ride Harley
jward
ORIGINAL: Big Boys Toys

PLEASE PLEASE . Before you flame the hell out of me, I’ve been a devoted Harley man for years. This is a serious question for me and im asking my brothers here to be honest with me.
I have owned three Harley’s. Soft tail , Bagger and ultra classic. I’ve taken trips on my Ultra but it has left me broke down from time to time. I find myself making runs to each Harley shop rather than just going where I want. I guess I don’t trust it anymore, but my friends same the same thing. Well , there’s a lot of people on here that have taken trips on there Harley’s also so I thought I would ask them about reliability issues.
My friend bought a Gold Wing the other day. He let me ride it. MAN it blew me away. What a ride. I talked to several guy’s that own one and they all say gas an go. They travel all over the united states and don’t worry.
Which brings me to my question. I want to travel for a while. Long runs like to Cala and Phili. Should I go with the Honda Or the New Harley six speed ? Im hearing there having problems with it already. I don’t know if it’s just me or Harley , but it seems we can’t trust the bike like we used to. To much new stuff.

Old 09-14-2006, 03:53 PM
spikehyre
Road Master

I grew up on Japanese bikes and had loads of fun on them. Light and easy to flick around. Spent some time in Europe and was awed by the BMW motorcycles and the autobahn. So, like you, when I wanted something special for myself I looked at where I had spent some time. I ended up buying an 07 FLSTN in July and 3 days later was on a 4500 mile trip that was the biggest kick in the *** ever.....just gas and go...Oh, and grin when bikers and non bikers walked up and said; "Wow." Now I saw a few GW's on the trip and they were very smooth looking, all coated in glass, complete with GPS, cup holders, intercoms, cruise, am/fm/mp3's, 6 speakers, glove boxes, night time running lights, matching luggage and picnic basket, reverse gear and backup light.....then I would look at mine...map tucked up in a leather wrap against the windshield, tour pak slipped over the sissy bar, sleeping bag and tent attached to the pac, v twin sound and back roads calling classic chrome wires with whitewalls, ah, the waves of strangers, old and young. Harley has mastered the history of motorcycling in America and the legend continues to live....all ya gotta do is throw your leg over the saddle......can you hear it?

Quick Reply: The new Harley six speed or Gold Wing ?