General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The new Harley six speed or Gold Wing ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 01:07 PM
Philt
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: The new Harley six speed or Gold Wing ?

I used to have a 1982 FLH 80" Shovelhead and sold it to a friend of mine about 2 years ago. He immediately went on about a 5000 mile trip. He went with 2 other guys. One on a 1972 Shovelhead and the other on a 2005 Goldwing. The other shovelhead blew a tire and the Goldwing broke down. I think it was fairly minor, but they had to find a Honda shop on the trip to fix it. The 82 FL that I sold him never had any trouble at all! On that trip, coming home he did over 1300 miles straight thru, only stopping for gas and to eat. That's been a while back and he is still riding it, hard! He has been to Colorado a couple of times and Sturgis once. One of those trips he did it with a passenger. He has had no real trouble. Just performed minor maintenence and changed a sprocket so he could ride that 4-speed tranny at 80 mph. Sometimes I wished I had never sold it to him!! LOL!

Old 09-14-2006, 01:07 PM
Big Boys Toys
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cause I wana ride NOW ! Im ready. I would love to here some reports from guys on the new 07 Harley. Im hereing it dont have the power because of the emisions and the trans wines. I dono. I haven't rode one yet. I would love to though.

Old 09-14-2006, 01:12 PM
Manish_Hawg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

just get both a Harley and a Goldwing.

Old 09-14-2006, 01:19 PM
Psycho
Road Master

ORIGINAL: jbatp92

I just sold my Goldwing and bought an '07 Ultra. I am taking my first trip on the Ultra next weekend.
It is hard to compare the 2 bikes. It is more like apples to oranges than it is apples to apples. The Wing is more of a sport tourer and the Ultra is more of a cruiser tourer.The Wing is quieter, smoother and more powerful. The Ultra is the opposite. To me the the Wing was always a gas and go bike. I never worried about it. I hope I can say the same about the Ultra after a couple of years.
The Wing is quieter, smoother and more powerful
You're comparing an 1800 cc bike with a 1550 cc bike. Try comparing closer displacements and see what you get:

Screamin Eagle Electra glide 1690 CC.
It makes 84.1 rear-wheel ponies at 5750 rpm. Peak torque arrives at 2750 rpm, where its pumping 94.3 foot-pounds to the rear wheel. The extras muscle down low allowed harder launches or the luxury of ignoring first gear and easing way in second with little clutch slip. Its full-goose power—as shown by its 13.09-second, 98.3-mph quarter-mile sprint
From here: http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roa...electra_glide/

Honda Goldwing 1800 CC
Corrected 1/4-mile* 12.78 sec. @ 103.3 mph
0-60 mph 4.44 sec.
0-100 mph 13.27 sec.
Top-gear roll-on, 60-80 mph 5.90 sec.
Power to weight ratio** 10.25 lb/hp
Fuel mileage (low/high/average) 30/40/36
Cruising range (exc. reserve) 205 miles
CD changer capacity 6 discs
From here:http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/es...800_gold_wing/

So with a 110 cc advantage, the honda is only able to shorten the quarter mile up by .31 seconds. Hardly any superior engineering there in my opinion.

I'd like to see the quarter mile times for the 07 screamin eagle ultra, as it's closer in displacement to the 1800 goldwing, but I couldn't locate the numbers.

Old 09-14-2006, 01:22 PM
saidin43
Cruiser

If you really want to look at the goldwing, I suggest taking a look into the details of it. Like any vehicle, I wouldn't take any individual user experiences as gospel, because I'm sure some have had zero problems, others apparently have had their bike literally break in two ! [&:]

Likewise, I have an 06 Roadglide, and have had no problems in the last 5000 mi except for having to tighten my highway pegs every now and then. My friend who has a 2000 RG has had endless leak problems...again, somtimes you get lucky, sometimes you get f'd.

So do your research, check the Goldwing forums for common issues, ask for opinions from there (you may not want to mention harley) You may find that some model years are better than others. Keep in mind that most in forums are there because they have a problem in the 1st place, so it may look worse than it really is. Next thing I would say, that if you can rent one, go on a trip with it, see if you like it on a longer haul. In the end its all gonna come down to whats important to you. Reliability, comfort, price, retained value over time, soul factor, noise etc...

Whatever your descision, make sure you're happy about it.

Good luck

Old 09-14-2006, 01:25 PM
Big Boys Toys
Banned

Psyco . Do you work for Harley ? Dam you would make a good salesman. Yu go boy. That man can talk some **** .
OK. That's some good points.

Old 09-14-2006, 01:28 PM
kingultra
Cruiser

Well for the past couple of months I went throught the same thing you are going thru. I really thought about both the Ultra and the GW. I rode both and liked both (alot) they are very different bikes. well at 35 I just could not see myself riding a goldwing with all my biker buds. My friend kept telling me "It is just different riding a HD" I never owned an HD and really never considered buying one. I decided this year that I would have a touring bike, not because I tour but because I like to ride. I rode with my daughter last night - maybe 40 miles and the conversation that we were able to have about school, homework, basketball ect. was priceless. (last night was the first ride with the intercom set up) I know the GW has that too, but me and my little girl was on a Harley, yeah I know, but it really is different riding a Harley. Having Pride in your bike and knowing that if anything was to ever happen, an HD bud will be coming around the corner and stopping to help. My 07 ultra is awsome! the Goldwing that I rode was nice. I really like having the 6th speed ready to kick in. I always found myself on other bikes looking for another gear at 70 or so. Not now. I guess I am just blabbering on on on. so I will stop. Ride a HD - Have pride that you are American (yes I know they are not 100%) but they do represent Good ol USA. Remember the smile you had the first trip you make and the respect you receive for riding the HD. If not buy a goldwing and always know in the back of your head "I could of had a Harley".

BTW I think the frame problems in the GW were in the 04 models and no longer an issue.

good luck on the choice you have to make

Old 09-14-2006, 01:32 PM
Psycho
Road Master

When I was a kid, one of my older cousins informed me that 95 percent of what I would hear in life would be bullsh*t, and that my job was to sort out the 5 percent that is not bullsh*t. So, with that in mind, I always try to get to the bottom of statements that appear to be "common knowlege" and generally find they are closer to "urban myth" than gospel.

With that in mind, I don't take much of anything at face value, and one sore spot for me, is constantly hearing over and over again that foreign vehicles/motorcycles are somehow better, when there is absolutely no overwhelming or solid data, whatsoever, to prove the argument.

IMO, if it weren't for american free economy, ingenuity, and hard work, the rest of the world would likely still be hooking oxen to a wooden wheeled cart to get around.

Old 09-14-2006, 01:35 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

Level 1 Honda Goldwing. $19,299 plus setup/freight/tax/title and lic.
No CD Player/No CB/No self cancelling turnsignals.

Your looking at around $21,000 out the door and $2000 worth of accessories to get to an Ultra.

How do I know this? I sell them.

Level 2 and 3 include some really cool things like heated seats/GPS and ABS but still no CD player or CB.

Old 09-14-2006, 01:42 PM
Big Boys Toys
Banned

OK. How much is the 07 ultra out the door with CD and CB ?

Quick Reply: The new Harley six speed or Gold Wing ?