General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

American Made?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 04:29 AM
skydude426
Club Member
Received 389 Likes on 225 Posts
Default American Made?

I was wondering if anyone knows how much of a HD motorcycle is acctually made in America and how much of it is out sourced to other countries? I became interested in this from another thread that is about another topic so I thought I'd start a thread about this subject. If you have information about this, please state your source so that others can reference it and see for themselves. If your just guessing or going off hear-say please don't answer.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:55 AM
Willy G.
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I know is if you took off all the outsourced parts a Harley it wouldn't start and it wouldn't roll. Starter= Japan, suspension= Japan, Carbs= Japan, Wheels (some) Australia and Japan, electrics= Japan.
99% of the Motorclothes are made in china too. When I visited York in the late 80's the boxes that held inner primary cases said Made in Japan.
Some will say it's a "global economy" or it's a "motor" company, I say in this economy everything that Harley makes should and could be made in the USA. We're paying premium prices for outsourced parts shipped half way around the world.

Last edited by Willy G.; 10-03-2010 at 07:00 AM.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:56 AM
hojones
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I know the fenders and tank are because I saw that happening in York last week.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:09 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would suspect most or all of the electrical and electronics are not made in the USA.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:28 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ***** G.
All I know is if you took off all the outsourced parts a Harley it wouldn't start and it wouldn't roll. Starter= Japan, suspension= Japan, Carbs= Japan, Wheels (some) Australia and Japan, electrics= Japan.
99% of the Motorclothes are made in china too. When I visited York in the late 80's the boxes that held inner primary cases said Made in Japan.
Some will say it's a "global economy" or it's a "motor" company, I say in this economy everything that Harley makes should and could be made in the USA. We're paying premium prices for outsourced parts shipped half way around the world.
So you would be willing to pay more for your bike if it were?

Old 10-03-2010, 07:31 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Just like "KFC" - I don't think HD will let you know their secret recipe. You hit the head w/global market & it would be hard building a bike w/o some foreign made parts. Only way to be certain is to build your own...

Last edited by Iceman24; 10-03-2010 at 07:35 AM. Reason: sp
Old 10-03-2010, 07:43 AM
easycruzer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know how much of the bike is made in the US, but every 'geniune' HD accessory I have bought for it was made in China or Taiwan.

Kind of bothers me, as a huge part of me buying and staying with HD is to buy US products.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:37 AM
upstate tim
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hard to conjer up a pro-Union slogan right now..

Old 10-03-2010, 08:42 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ***** G.
...99% of the Motorclothes are made in china too....
I see many posts like this but when I pulled the top 12 t-shirts off my stack, 9 of them were made in the USA. Where did you get the 99% figure? I'd like to see the source.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:50 AM
Roadie09
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jim Dawson
I see many posts like this but when I pulled the top 12 t-shirts off my stack, 9 of them were made in the USA. Where did you get the 99% figure? I'd like to see the source.
I think the "local" dealer T shirts can be from just about anywhere. I am not sure they are even screen printed by the MOCO. I have some that are printed on Hanes colored T's made in the USA.

I have not seen any of the styled clothing that was made in the USA.

Quick Reply: American Made?