General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid new rider questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 07:40 PM
Kess
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Stupid new rider questions

Hey Chunks - Just to chime in here - I really think you are feeling the effects of the solid wheel - I rode a fatboy and a softail standard this year each over a thousand miles and I can tell you that the wind effect is more dramatic with the fatboy because of the solid wheel - it is also true you will get used to it and it becomes less and less of an issue - I traded in the softail for a electra glide classic and I can tell you with the batwing and no solid wheel I don't even feel it when the trucks pass me - Still if I follow a tractor trailer at just the right distance I get the crap knocked out of me - Nature of the beast - I doubt there is anything wrong with your bike at all

Old 06-21-2005, 11:18 PM
Nav
Cruiser

At the risk of offending some of you I am going to add another possible cause for the wobble. You say you are new to riding at highway speeds. You may be gripping the bars to tight and have too much tension in your arms. This will induce a wobble. After I read this post today I tried an experiment on my bike. When I tightly gripped the bars and tensed my arms, instant wobble. When I relaxed, no wobble. Next time you're on the highway try to relax and see if this helps. If your jacket has a lot of loose fitting material and flaps in the wind this will also contribute to a wobble, along with the disc wheels. Rain grooves are also notorious for wobbles. Good luck and enjoy!

Old 06-22-2005, 12:21 AM
chunks
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a shot.

I am definitely guilty of gripping the handgrips too tightly and
I've been trying to relax them. I have not tried relaxing them
at faster speeds, as I still feel nervous when riding faster than 45 mph so
I'm sure I'm holding on for dear life

I'll post back my results tomorrow night!

Kinda funny that I can go upwards of 160 mph at 13,000 ft and not be nervous,
but look at me going 45 mph on the ground and I'm nervous as a long tailed cat in
a room full of rocking chairs

BTW, heres a slightly better photo than the one I posted originally

[IMG]local://upfiles/2336/D795B66DF59E4C2DACA757049024FDF2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-22-2005, 12:34 AM
Lovetoride
Grand HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

The best advice I can give, is to relax, and loosen your grip on the handlebars. I'm guessing you have a "death grip" on them. You will notice a big difference when you relax a bit...

Ryan

Old 06-22-2005, 12:56 AM
fatboydews
Intermediate

At the risk of sounding like a smart a%%...from a physics perspective, a spoked rims are pretty much a solid rims at highway speeds.

Although wind does some strange things, and can definitely get your attention at times (especially in the desert), IMHO what you are experiencing hasn’t got anything to do with the rims.

A windshield will help with the wind effect because it will deflect it off your body, but if I had to guess at the cause of the wobble, I would have to agree with all who have discussed the “death grip on the bars”.

Bottom line, Chunks, relax and enjoy the ride. It takes some time, being nervous is natural when you first start riding, but as you log the miles and become more comfortable, you will learn to relax and the ride will become smoother.

Old 06-22-2005, 01:23 AM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 708 Likes on 340 Posts

Chunks, what type of jacket are you wearing. If it's loose, or open, it will make a huge difference on how your body gets pushed around by the wind. Tight fitting, thick leather or a proper kevlar riding jackets are the best.

Old 06-22-2005, 02:21 AM
ApeKing
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Nav

At the risk of offending some of you I am going to add another possible cause for the wobble. You say you are new to riding at highway speeds. You may be gripping the bars to tight and have too much tension in your arms. This will induce a wobble. After I read this post today I tried an experiment on my bike. When I tightly gripped the bars and tensed my arms, instant wobble. When I relaxed, no wobble. Next time you're on the highway try to relax and see if this helps. If your jacket has a lot of loose fitting material and flaps in the wind this will also contribute to a wobble, along with the disc wheels. Rain grooves are also notorious for wobbles. Good luck and enjoy!
Good post I was gonna say the same thing. Cheers!

Old 06-25-2005, 08:45 PM
chunks
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Well after a couple more days of riding and 350 miles under my belt I'd have to conclude that
the "wobbling" I was describing was related to my rigid arms and ultra tight grip on the handlebars.

I put 100 miles on today and I'm feeling a lot more comfortable, confident (but not cocky!),
and I've relaxed significantly. and the wobbling has disappeared.

I guess it wasnt the solid front wheel after all

Old 06-26-2005, 04:53 PM
FLSTSI
Intermediate

Glad to hear it, chunks. I'm a former Fat Boy owner, and IMO the solid wheels make no difference. Spoked wheels at highway speeds are pretty much solid also, like another post said.

We get a lot of strange wind out west, and a wind that's at an angle to you will buffet the heck out of you. I'm not sure a windshield helps with wind issues, maybe makes it worse. but it sure keeps the bugs and rocks off my face, and for some reason that's important to me! ha.