General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycles being Targetted at Checkpoints

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 07:53 PM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Motorcycles being Targetted at Checkpoints

http://nwhog.wordpress.com/

this is surprising to me.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:09 PM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

And it is not going to stop, until someone finds a lawyer with big enough ***** to go after them for discrimination or racial profiling.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:11 PM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,059 Likes on 633 Posts

Geeeezzzzzzz,,,,,,,,, I hope they don't come to Cali.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:31 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by brutalbrad
http://nwhog.wordpress.com/

this is surprising to me.
.Why?

Old 10-02-2010, 08:34 PM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,059 Likes on 633 Posts

Isn't that Like sayin Mexicans must Pull-Over . ?

Old 10-02-2010, 09:01 PM
JollyRogers
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guess they would write me a ticket for my pipes, though they are not loud unless I want them to be... But then again, I won't be going through New England anytime soon, and if I have to would probably put stockers back on... Everything else is legit. To think our tax dollars go to this is rediculous. All that money could go to something better for sure.

I have been through many DUI checkpoints on my bike(s) and never had an issue... in fact the officers have always been very professional. I had to show one young trooper where my insp stickers where (Va requirement) and point out my wife was holding my license and registration up for him. But I guess their priority was drunks, not motorcyclists breaking some law.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:07 PM
pibpd905
Advanced

This is no different than 'weight stations' for semi-trucks, it is targeted at a specific vehicle type. If you meet all the standards set by law then it is no problem.

There is nothing "racial" about this type of checkpoint, why do people always have to account everything as being racial.

Since it is a National Agency Grant, it would have to be ruled as Unconstitutional. Because this act/grant is dealing with safety on the roadway, it is within the power of the government (Congress) under the Commerce Clause to regulate any activity on the roadways that supply interstate commerce. The only way to deal with this would be through Public Pressure to stop the check points.

Just remember, every state is also impowered to stop all vehicles traveling on the roadways to conduct the same equipment violation check. Most don't because there is no grant money to conduct the check points.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:22 PM
artz
Road Master

never had any problem in the south. Here, where I live, the deputy's always looking out for us and waving, and what not. Not true with the crotch rocket crowd though.
The GSP has never profiled any of us H-D riders as far as I know.
Now... folks that push the issue on the bikes like excessive speeding, reckless, or any other law breaking or reporting. Thats a different story.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:34 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Semi trucks weight anywhere from 24,000 lbs to 80,000 lbs.
They are slightly more of a safety risk if in an unsafe condition than a motorcycle.

Once they don't get the income they are hoping for they might try autos.
Of course that is a much larger voting block to **** off and they might not get re-elected.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:34 PM
pibpd905
Advanced

It is true that due to weight semi-trucks are a bigger danger, however, I was just pointing out that all vehicles are subject to 'safety inspections'. When laws are passed for safety reasons, it is not a matter of cherry picking between weight or level of danger, the bar is set for safety at a specified level of equipment condition for each vehicle that travels the roadways.

I remember the Ohio State Patrol vehicle check points from when I was a younger driver, if you passed the check you had to display a sticker in your lower windshield. Haven't seen those check points in years.

Quick Reply: Motorcycles being Targetted at Checkpoints