General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycles being Targetted at Checkpoints

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 04:45 PM
Ratster
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Contrary to what the mental midget says, groups like ABATE do in fact help. Thanks to them, we don't even have a helmet law, let alone checkpoints, inspections, exhaust laws, handlebar restrictions, etc...

Last edited by Ratster; 10-05-2010 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:12 PM
Bones77
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nabubba
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that driving or riding is a privilege that can be taken away, it is not a right. The state issuing your license can take those license from you at anytime or suspend them.

Do I think it is right NO if you are gonna have a checkpoint then all vehicles should be stopped. Yes many motorcycle riders ride without a MC endorsement on their license and yes just as many folks drive with a revoked license. I drive a truck for a living and I am subjected to being stopped at anytime the DOT likes to give me a safety inspection whether it be a complete truck inspection or just a driver inspection. Do I like it NO but it is something I have to deal with to help make the roadways safer for all of us. I am not comparing trucks to motorcycles but the fact that I deal with one type of vehicle profiling sort of speaking.

Motorcycles make up about 1% of the total vehicles on the roadways so they figure they can target them easier then the mass number of cages. And again less of a population of voters IMO.
Being politically conservative I disagree with your position.

Article VI

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Taken from the Bill of Rights, not the Bill of Privileges. I pay taxes and I disagree with the legal view that driving is a privilege. Owning a horse was not a privilege 150 years ago. I believe the government has a responsibility to ensure I can safely operate my vehicle, but I've always believed I have a right to travel on the roads I pay for if I'm capable of doing so safely.

I also believe the Bill of Rights protects my personal liberty. Liberty: The condition of being free from restriction or control.
Or, the right and power to act, believe, or express oneself in a manner of one's own choosing.

I understand the government doesn't also agree with me on this, but it is what I believe.

Bones

Old 10-05-2010, 05:53 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I still don't understand how we can fund all these crazy things, pay for wars, bail out banks and car manufacturers, stimulous the highways with orange cones all over the USA, while we should be cutting some tax dollar spending.

Government grants for MC safety? How's about letting us riders worry about our own safety.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:13 PM
Ratster
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
I still don't understand how we can fund all these crazy things, pay for wars, bail out banks and car manufacturers, stimulous the highways with orange cones all over the USA, while we should be cutting some tax dollar spending.

Government grants for MC safety? How's about letting us riders worry about our own safety.
I suggest you ask your president and his minions. They seem to have had all the answers and it's all working out so well.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:23 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

Originally Posted by Ratster
I suggest you ask your president and his minions. They seem to have had all the answers and it's all working out so well.

I'll call him tomorrow. Anybody got the phone number?

The only one I have is 1 800 eat chit. Bwahahaha!

Old 10-05-2010, 07:54 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

Anyone who thinks this is about safety is naive or just plain stupid. This is borderline unconstitutional. It's about money and just another way to ease us into becoming a police state.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:05 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

Originally Posted by DynaMightBuzz
Anyone who thinks this is about safety is naive or just plain stupid. This is borderline unconstitutional. It's about money and just another way to ease us into becoming a police state.

Yeah, all the towns are ticketing more to raise more money. It's no secret.

But why is our Federal government SPENDING money for this?
They are giving grants to the cities that go along with this.
They are supposed to be cutting the spending.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:38 PM
jafhdo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by traveler
Please understand....the judge can make you pay court costs....ending up costing you a few hundred bucks.

In short, it won't be a "free legal stunt".

~Joe
Don't know where you're from but in the Common Wealth of Virginia the tickets are for fines, (court) costs and fees. A $25 non-moving violation ends up costing $100. (Regardless of whether you go to court or pay it by mail) While the fines are set by the state, each jurisdiction (county) has the right to set their own costs and fees.

Unfortunately I think we are in a ever increasing spriral downwards to government control. The majority of people today don't want to be responsible for their actions and are quite happy when someone else makes decisions for them.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:23 PM
Harleybass
Road Captain

I will not stop at that Micky Mouse Bullshit! Their gonna have to come on down the road after me.

Not tryin to be your local badass, but if people don't stop, they can't get em all. Your only a victim, if you let yourself become one.

I don't see Texas buyin into that ****!

Old 10-06-2010, 12:43 AM
SgtMic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Copy and paste these. Add in where required and mail them off. If enough of us do things like this, we might actually have a chance and changing things in our best interest.

October 4, 2010

Your name here
Put Address Here.... Put city, state and zip here

Secretary Ray LaHood
U.S. Department of Transportation
1200 New Jersey Ave, SE
Washington, DC 20590

Honorable Secretary LaHood,

For Your Information: A second letter will be addressing Mr. Strickland.

Like hundreds of thousands of freedom loving motorcyclists in the United States, I have grown very weary of being considered a second-class citizen when in fact, I vote, work, and pay taxes like millions of other hardworking Americans; both bikers, and non-bikers alike.

As voting taxpayers, patriots, veterans, retirees and members of every profession we have been mobilized by the "US Defender" program to engage in protecting our God-given and hard-earned rights as freedom loving citizens. Please note that we are indeed a very large block of politically aware and active members of society.

Today we are very concerned about any and all laws or administrative regulations that attempt to hinder our rights to ride free. Throughout the United States, we, as bikers are under attack legislatively and administratively in a thinly veiled attempt by Federal and State law enforcement agencies to restrict our freedoms and arbitrarily and subjectively profile and harass us as if we are second class citizens.

So today I am petitioning you to please reconsider your position on mandatory helmet laws across this nation. This is a state issue and surely there are more pressing matters at the federal level than to harass and profile the motorcycle riding community. Additionally, in many states, mandatory roadblocks posing as safety checks for motorcycles only, under DTNH22-10-R-00386 also known as “Motorcycle Law Enforcement Demonstration” program is an illegal attempt on the part of the NHTSA to Lobby state legislatures using Federal taxpayer dollars for funding. I do not support such a law, and neither will I support any legislator at any level who embraces, or endorses any such law. And I will do my best to see that any legislator who does so does gets fired during their next election cycle.

I support each State's rights to determine their own helmet policies, NOT Mr. Strickland's position of wanting to, "put a helmet on every motorcyclists head" to reduce accidents and fatalities. That statement alone makes it painfully obvious that Mr. Strickland does not travel America’s roadways on a motorcycle. The most dangerous situation that motorcyclists confront daily traveling America’s roadways would be cell phone texting and usage by individuals driving automobiles. I would dare say that reduction in cell phone usage and driver awareness programs would impact the accident and fatality rate of motorcyclists 10 fold over requiring helmets and the traffic safety checks combined. It seems ludicrous to me that I would be pulled over on the side of a busy freeway and risk injury or death to have someone that may or may not have ever driven a motorcycle, school me, on motorcycle safety. The statistics prove that motorcycle safety and awareness, in conjunction with riders training programs across the country have a far greater impact in reducing injuries and fatalities. The funding the government has set aside would be much better spent in causation studies, such as the one being conducted right now in Oklahoma.

I support the honorable Jim Sensenbrenner (R-Wisconsin) H.R. 1498 supporting efforts to retain a ban on NHTSA's ability to lobby State Legislators using our federal dollars through the "Motorcycle Law Enforcement Demonstration" grant program. Suspend this program now, (DTNH22-10-R-00386) for your reference.

I would also appreciate a response to my letter.

Thank you;

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 4, 2010

Your name here

Administrator David L. Strickland
U.S. Department of Transportation
West Building
1200 New Jersey Ave, SE
Washington, DC 20590

Honorable Administrator Strickland,

For Your Information: A second letter will be addressing Secretary Ray LaHood…

Like hundreds of thousands of freedom loving motorcyclists in the United States, I have grown very weary of being considered a second-class citizen when in fact, I vote, work, and pay taxes like millions of other hardworking Americans; both bikers, and non-bikers alike.

As voting taxpayers, patriots, veterans, retirees and members of every profession we have been mobilized by the “US Defender” program to engage in protecting our God-given and hard-earned rights as freedom loving citizens. Please note that we are indeed a very large block of politically aware and active members of society.

Today we are very concerned about any and all laws or administrative regulations that attempt to hinder our rights to ride free. Throughout the United States, we, as bikers are under attack legislatively and administratively in a thinly veiled attempt by Federal and State law enforcement agencies to restrict our freedoms and arbitrarily and subjectively profile and harass us as if we are second class citizens.

So today I am petitioning you to please reconsider your position on mandatory helmet laws across this nation. This is a state issue and surely there are more pressing matters at the federal level than to harass and profile the motorcycle riding community. Additionally, in many states, mandatory roadblocks posing as safety checks for motorcycles only, under DTNH22-10-R-00386 also known as “Motorcycle Law Enforcement Demonstration” program is an illegal attempt on the part of the NHTSA to Lobby state legislatures using Federal taxpayer dollars for funding. I do not support such a law, and neither will I support any legislator at any level who embraces, or endorses any such law. And I will do my best to see that any legislator who does so does gets fired during their next election cycle.

I support each State’s rights to determine their own helmet policies, NOT Mr. Strickland’s position of wanting to, “put a helmet on every motorcyclists head” to reduce accidents and fatalities. That statement alone makes it painfully obvious that Mr. Strickland does not travel America’s roadways on a motorcycle. The most dangerous situation that motorcyclists confront daily traveling America’s roadways would be cell phone texting and usage by individuals driving automobiles. I would dare say that reduction in cell phone usage and driver awareness programs would impact the accident and fatality rate of motorcyclists 10 fold over requiring helmets and the traffic safety checks combined. It seems ludicrous to me that I would be pulled over on the side of a busy freeway and risk injury or death to have someone that may or may not have ever driven a motorcycle, school me, on motorcycle safety. The statistics prove that motorcycle safety and awareness, in conjunction with riders training programs across the country have a far greater impact in reducing injuries and fatalities. The funding the government has set aside would be much better spent in causation studies, such as the one being conducted right now in Oklahoma.

I support the honorable Jim Sensenbrenner (R-Wisconsin) H.R. 1498 supporting efforts to retain a ban on NHTSA’s ability to lobby State Legislators using our federal dollars through the “Motorcycle Law Enforcement Demonstration” grant program. Suspend this program now, (DTNH22-10-R-00386) for your reference.

I would also appreciate a response to my letter.

Thank you;

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
October 4, 2010

Your name here

Congressman Michele Bachmann
107 Cannon HOB
Washington, DC 20515

Dear Representative Bachmann;

There have been some recent events that have come to light about Motorcycle only checkpoints. This project is headed up by NHTSA, which is doling out federal grant money to law enforcement agencies (up to five) for these “Safety Checkpoints” which resemble the old weigh stations for commercial vehicles.

As you know, motorcycles are not commercial vehicles, and I find this to be extremely discriminatory and make a mockery of anti-profiling laws that were passed.

Representative James Sensenbrenner of Wisconsin has introduced H. Res. 1498 supporting efforts to retain a ban on NHTSA’s lobbying of States by withholding federal Highway funds for failing to pass a mandatory helmet law. He has also written a letter to the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation urging them to suspend NHTSA’s DTNH22-10-R-00386 program until the concerns of motorcyclist are addressed. Please support his letter or write one of your own asking the same.

This program was piloted in the state of New York, and there have been documented cases where the NY DMV confiscated motorcycles because their so-called experts said that the VIN numbers had been altered. One case in particular, went to trial and the judge issued an order to release the motorcycle to him because of the jury’s findings, and the NY DMV filed a suit against the judge. Therefore, this man’s property is still being withheld.

As a concerned US Citizen and registered voter, I cannot abide by this type of enforcement. It seems to me that Federal Tax Dollars would serve the public better by spending it on awareness and education of how to best prevent crashes. The old adage, “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure”, comes to mind.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I await your response.

Thank you
;

Quick Reply: Motorcycles being Targetted at Checkpoints