General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycles being Targetted at Checkpoints

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 07:05 AM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

see'em in court..

Old 10-03-2010, 08:24 AM
MCHOGG
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I heard about a couple of fellows that went to Mexico and brought some cocaine back in the batteries of there trail bikes.
In Tn only drunk checkpoints so far.
Must still be looking for them.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:10 AM
JollyRogers
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pibpd905
... I was just pointing out that all vehicles are subject to 'safety inspections'. When laws are passed for safety reasons, it is not a matter of cherry picking between weight or level of danger, the bar is set for safety at a specified level of equipment condition for each vehicle that travels the roadways.

I remember the Ohio State Patrol vehicle check points from when I was a younger driver, if you passed the check you had to display a sticker in your lower windshield. Haven't seen those check points in years.
We have annual vehicle SAFETY checks in Virginia for ALL vehicles and display the annaul sticker on the vehicle. It targets all vehicles. Trucks using the roadways typically are for interstate commercial business and are being inspected for weight/cargo, motorcycles are private use vehicles.

What I don't get, is when a car in FLA has dark tinted windows, but is in another state, the tinted windows are not a ticket because it is legal in the owners state. Same with license plate covers etc... However, in my state, the pipes are legal as it is written in Va, but if I go somewhere else like NY, I can get a ticket, even if they are not overly loud. Sure they aren't Federally EPA legal, but the EPA is not writing the ticket.

Do they announce somewhere when and where the checkpoints will be? I believe there is a requirement for DUI checkpoints to do that in most states.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:16 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts

This is no different than 'weight stations' for semi-trucks, it is targeted at a specific vehicle type. If you meet all the standards set by law then it is no problem.

There is nothing "racial" about this type of checkpoint, why do people always have to account everything as being racial.

Since it is a National Agency Grant, it would have to be ruled as Unconstitutional. Because this act/grant is dealing with safety on the roadway, it is within the power of the government (Congress) under the Commerce Clause to regulate any activity on the roadways that supply interstate commerce. The only way to deal with this would be through Public Pressure to stop the check points.

Just remember, every state is also impowered to stop all vehicles traveling on the roadways to conduct the same equipment violation check. Most don't because there is no grant money to conduct the check points.
Your statement makes no sense.
Are you are saying that same incentive (money) to risk matrix that tempts OTR drivers or their companies to take dangerous risks applies to bikers?

Are you saying the company that I work for might overload my bike by say 20,000 lbs so they can make extra money every time I go for a ride?

Are you saying that I might skip sleeping and ride my bike countiously for 3 days so I can make a late mortgage payment?

Admititly some people overload their bikes, but what is the payoff? An extra outfit for Momma? Some people try to ride to far, but they don't get paid to it.

Even if a biker does these things and worst comes to worst and they cause an accident what are the chances they will take inocents with them. Are you saying an accident caused by a 900 lb bike causes the same kind of carnage a 90,000 semi does?

I don't believe the 2 things are related in any way...

Old 10-03-2010, 09:37 AM
PnDegc
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its called implied consent and has been upheld in court. Neither the 4th or 5th ammendment apply - I think they DO - but the STATE does not.
If you Google "Implied Consent" (Wikipedia) it won't take you long to figure that the States & Feds have determined that "Hey, if it works for getting drunk drivers we can use it against anybody at anytime." Welcome to Amerika where your RIGHT against self incrimination, and protections against unreasonable search & siezure now only apply if the state says they do. The funny part is its all paid for by us. God I do hate the terms "Federal" funds or "Federal" grant. Makes it sound like it's their money. Drives me crazy. And if you are wondering about the supreme court- they AGREE that this DOES violate our constitutional rights but have chosen to look the other way. A "little" infringement of the peoples right is ok since it's catching drunk drivers.....and now it's motorcycles. But it's ALL ok because hey, YOU ELECTED these people.

pat

Old 10-03-2010, 10:10 AM
Ratster
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is no different than 'weight stations' for semi-trucks, it is targeted at a specific vehicle type. If you meet all the standards set by law then it is no problem.

There is nothing "racial" about this type of checkpoint, why do people always have to account everything as being racial.

Since it is a National Agency Grant, it would have to be ruled as Unconstitutional. Because this act/grant is dealing with safety on the roadway, it is within the power of the government (Congress) under the Commerce Clause to regulate any activity on the roadways that supply interstate commerce. The only way to deal with this would be through Public Pressure to stop the check points.

Just remember, every state is also impowered to stop all vehicles traveling on the roadways to conduct the same equipment violation check. Most don't because there is no grant money to conduct the check points.
Well, to be honest, I somewhat agree. Now look at it this way. The progressives and race baiting pukes all say the Arizona immigration enforcement law is racist towards hispanics. After all, the overwhelming majority of people who cross illegally are hispanic.

So tell me why this motorcycle checkpoint issue cannot be said to be a racist issue as well? Afterall, the overwhelming majority of people they are targeting are indeed, caucasian. Same logic here, right?

The truth is this, politicians have an agenda. That agenda is to grab all the power they can. To accomplish this, they have to disable your civil rights. They do this slowly and over time, and have been. They start with the "little things" and work up. Little things like a small group of people that are insignificant in the big picture. It's all part of the nanny state mentality of; "We know what's best for you".

Just remember, the difference between a nanny state and a totalitarian state is just a matter of time.

Last edited by Ratster; 10-03-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:39 AM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

just another money grab by the our government of the people, by the people for the people. Same as red light cameras an speeding cameras. We are taxed to the breaking point so you have to get creative to suck more money from our wallets.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:46 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Nothing new.

We have been on the $hit list since 1946.

~Joe

Old 10-03-2010, 11:47 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957buick
NEW YORK STATE POLICE is famous for the motorcycle only check points. Last year i got stuck in 3 of them! americade ,harley rendovous, marcus dairy. they do helmit and paperwork check. A friend of mine on his bone stock dresser did not stop because he is 100% legal and was chased down and received a ticket for disobeying a traffic sign .
There you go. I can't imagine anyone thinking they shouldn't have to stop.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:50 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

The Motorcycle Rights Foundation (MRF) sent out an email on this back in July. They are lobbying hard to stop this.

MRF URGENT CALL TO ACTION - Mandatory Motorcycle Roadside Stops

A mandatory roadside motorcycle stop may be coming to a town near you, reports the Motorcycle Riders Foundation (MRF). Recently, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has asked for applications from law enforcement outfits to apply for a new pot of taxpayer money designated for pulling motorcyclists off the road to lecture them about safety.

The MRF strongly opposes this sort of discrimination against motorcyclists. “Pulling over law-abiding motorcyclists does not make anyone safer and is huge waste of taxpayer money,” said Jeff Hennie, Vice President for Government Relations and Public Affairs for the MRF.

NHTSA’s request for applications asks law enforcement officials to submit plans similar to what New York State Police did last summer. They set up outside big public motorcycle gatherings and pulled every single motorcyclist over to the side of the road to lecture them about safety, drinking and riding, proper tire inflation, and so on.

The MRF feels there are much more productive and less discriminatory ways to promote safety for motorcyclists, and is disappointed that this approach was decided upon behind closed doors by a group of federal employees who apparently did not consult anyone in the motorcycling community for their input and expertise in motorcycle safety.

This particular project is limited to five law enforcement agencies, and total funding is capped at $350,000. In these tough economic times, that’s a ton of money. The deadline for applications is August 13, and to the MRF’s knowledge, no applications have yet been submitted.

The MRF will be investigating to determine if NHTSA and the federal government have legal jurisdiction to fund states to single out one particular type of vehicle for clearly discriminatory practices over other vehicles, and will be working diligently to see that these proposed grants are never awarded.

The MRF encourages you to contact U.S. Secretary of Transportation Ray LaHood today to voice your displeasure, either by phone: 202-366-4000 or by email: http://ntl.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ntl....nduser/ask.php

Contact Jeff Hennie, MRF Vice President for Government Relations and Public Affairs, at Jeff@mrf.org if you have any questions or need further information.

Quick Reply: Motorcycles being Targetted at Checkpoints