General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycles being Targetted at Checkpoints

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 10:48 PM
Brewtality
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

We deal with this every day in NYC. motorcycle only checkpoints randomly pop up all over the 5 boroughs all the time.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:16 PM
BB4xl
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When are they going to have check points for low-riding thumpers with the wrong size wheels sticking 5'' out of the wheel well?

Old 10-02-2010, 11:52 PM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The reason it was surprising to me is because it seems like an extreme effort for little return.

Old 10-03-2010, 12:12 AM
stevja1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This seems odd to me. I'm no lawyer, but pulling over just motorcycles to just check if your in compliance in the law seems a bit of a stretch. Are bikers generally out of compliance more than cars? Seems to me somebody's got something against bikers out there. In response, I think it would be funny if a series of rides were organized to overload the checkpoints... it would be better if the rides sponsored a charity or something, (fallen police officers families?)

As for trucks, the weight is a safety and wearing issue. The heavier the truck, the more it supposedly wears on the road. Really heavy trucks will create grooves in the road where the tires are, especially in slow moving traffic or stop lights where the truck can sit for a few minutes. There are also checks to make sure trucks aren't running guns/contraband across states. Also, when a truck wreaks on the freeway where I live, it causes a massive traffic jam or closure. When a bike wreaks, you hardly hear anything about it.

Old 10-03-2010, 12:26 AM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by dope_man_21
And it is not going to stop, until someone finds a lawyer with big enough ***** to go after them for discrimination or racial profiling.
The AMA is going after them. Motorcycle Consumer News magazine had an article in last months issue in reference to the NHTSA sponsored profiling. As stated NHTSA has been offering funds to various Departments that set up safety check points for motorcycles and the AMA is trying to stop it through legal action.

I'm not defending NHTSA but they do go after all types of violators in the name of safety. NHTSA gives money to departments that conduct seat belt enforcement programs and use radar enforcement for speeders and DWI violators. My department has taken NHTSA money for a few years now. The money is paid to officers who are willing to work overtime concentraing on the above mentioned violators.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:29 AM
hagger
Banned
Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts
Old 10-03-2010, 03:12 AM
blkdimon8
Tourer

What exactly are these checkpoints looking/inspecting for? Damn leave the country for a few deployments and this is what happens? kind of reminds me of checkpoint Charlie back in Berlin in the early 80's, "You are now Leaving the American Sector, be prepared to stop and show your papers."

Old 10-03-2010, 06:17 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pibpd905
This is no different than 'weight stations' for semi-trucks, it is targeted at a specific vehicle type. If you meet all the standards set by law then it is no problem.

There is nothing "racial" about this type of checkpoint, why do people always have to account everything as being racial.

Since it is a National Agency Grant, it would have to be ruled as Unconstitutional. Because this act/grant is dealing with safety on the roadway, it is within the power of the government (Congress) under the Commerce Clause to regulate any activity on the roadways that supply interstate commerce. The only way to deal with this would be through Public Pressure to stop the check points.

Just remember, every state is also impowered to stop all vehicles traveling on the roadways to conduct the same equipment violation check. Most don't because there is no grant money to conduct the check points.
Good point!

I can remember when seat belt laws were first being enforced. There were check points for cage drivers. When I got caught in line with 4 wheeled vehicles while riding my motorcycle, the inspecting officer(s) would allow me to pass.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:53 AM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

if i ever come across one of these so called checkpoints i won't be stopping.. as long as i'm traveling according to the law they have absolutely no reason or cause to stop me. its pure discrimination and i'm sure any lawyer with half a brain could prove it in court..

I live in MD and vehicle inspections are required one time when you first buy it but can be given a sfatey repair order by the state police. Do the police have checkpoints for cars and trucks to check their motor mounts, ps for leaks, cracked windshield, battery holdown, cracked drive belts, tire tread depth, wheel bearing play ??? hell no, but they will pull you over for too dark window tint and no front tag.. only when it concerns their safety or pocket do they care.. i bet i could go up my road right now and find at least two vehicles legally tagged that should be ticketed for safety violations.. broken lens or windshield cracked..

if its a DUI checkpoint where everyone is stopped, then i don't have a problem with it..

Old 10-03-2010, 06:55 AM
1957buick
Club Member
Received 209 Likes on 161 Posts

NEW YORK STATE POLICE is famous for the motorcycle only check points. Last year i got stuck in 3 of them! americade ,harley rendovous, marcus dairy. they do helmit and paperwork check. A friend of mine on his bone stock dresser did not stop because he is 100% legal and was chased down and received a ticket for disobeying a traffic sign .

Quick Reply: Motorcycles being Targetted at Checkpoints