General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Faulty Crank Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 03:08 PM
TwiggyAZ
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Faulty Crank Sensor

Below is what was on our news last night. I don't know if this is just Police Motorcycles or more spread. I just wanted to post it for an FYI. The officer is ok, but in hospital.

TUCSON , Arizona- The accident involving officer Mike Ryan, who was on one of the Harley Davidson motorcycles at the time of the wreck on the I-10, is still under investigation.
The audit into the motorcycles that Tucson Police launched after the accident, brought the bike's default to light.
"The motorcycles are equipped with a crank sensor. Its basically a sensor that detects somethings going wrong with the engine it will shut the motorcycle off,"said Captain Clayton Kidd.
According to Tucson Police there were 8 Harley Davidson motorcycles that were malfunctioning.
"So what we did is order the parts for all the Harley Davidson's that we still had currently in the fleet, which was about 25 motorcycles,"said Captain Kidd.
Larry Lopez, president of the Tucson Police Officers Association, said the department was wise to be on the safe side and repair the 25 bikes.
"We cannot have equipment like motorcycles or any other equipment that is malfunctioning in terms of putting the officers in danger. We just can't have that,"said Lopez.
Captain Kidd said with the repairs complete, around 30 motorcycles are back on the road.
Whether or not the faulty sensor was a factor in Officer Ryan's accident is yet to be determined.

Old 10-01-2010, 05:03 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

Sounds like Captain Kidd is a wealth of misinformation.,,

Old 10-01-2010, 06:08 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,857 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Could the motorcycle tech in the police motor pool been a contributing factor in contributing to 8 failures?

Old 10-01-2010, 06:13 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

"The motorcycles are equipped with a crank sensor. Its basically a sensor that detects somethings going wrong with the engine it will shut the motorcycle off,"said Captain Clayton Kidd.
In a related incident, Captain Kidd reported that several throw-out bearings had failed, resulting in an accumulation of trash around the motor pool.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:23 PM
zimman20
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forget the accuracy, that's one of the most poorly-worded articles I think I've ever seen!

Old 10-03-2010, 08:30 PM
tombeving
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like "my dog ate my homework" excuse

Old 10-03-2010, 10:00 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

If the crank position sensor on a bike works the same way it does in a car I certainly wouldn't want to have a failure on the turnpike during rush hour.

Shuts power and fuel off just as if you hit the kill button. No stumbling, spitting, sputtering or other warning. It's get to the shoulder or be a skid mark.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:42 AM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 21,527 Likes on 8,459 Posts

Captain Kidd! BWAHahahahhaha I ,I mate!!

Old 10-04-2010, 07:37 AM
JollyRogers
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Faulty Crank Sensor... on my old Dodge Dakota the crank sensor failed and it continued to run until I shut the engine off, then it wouldn't start. I wasn't sure what was wrong until I hooked up a digital tech I borrowed. You would think the MoCo would design it the same way? If the sensor fails while running, it should have a limp mode or something? Not just shut the motor down!!!

Old 10-04-2010, 11:01 AM
hojones
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiggyAZ
Below is what was on our news last night. I don't know if this is just Police Motorcycles or more spread. I just wanted to post it for an FYI. The officer is ok, but in hospital.

TUCSON , Arizona- The accident involving officer Mike Ryan, who was on one of the Harley Davidson motorcycles at the time of the wreck on the I-10, is still under investigation.
The audit into the motorcycles that Tucson Police launched after the accident, brought the bike's default to light.
According to Tucson Police there were 8 Harley Davidson motorcycles that were malfunctioning.
"So what we did is order the parts for all the Harley Davidson's that we still had currently in the fleet, which was about 25 motorcycles,"said Captain Kidd.
Larry Lopez, president of the Tucson Police Officers Association, said the department was wise to be on the safe side and repair the 25 bikes.
"We cannot have equipment like motorcycles or any other equipment that is malfunctioning in terms of putting the officers in danger. We just can't have that,"said Lopez.
Captain Kidd said with the repairs complete, around 30 motorcycles are back on the road.
Whether or not the faulty sensor was a factor in Officer Ryan's accident is yet to be determined.
Please will someone tell this poor guy what a Crank Sensor does.

Quick Reply: Faulty Crank Sensor