General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ape Hanger Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 08:52 AM
prattbratt
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ape Hanger Recommendations

Just want to know what handlebar manufacturers you all have used and recommend. I'm planning on replacing my stock handlebars on my 2008 Sportster with a set of 14" apes. Looking at both pre-installed wiring/controls versus just buying the handlebar bar along with a cable/hose kit. A company with great customer service (both before and after the purchase) is a must as I live in Korea and can't "kick the tires" before I buy.

Thanks,
Mark

Old 09-30-2010, 09:02 AM
prattbratt
Advanced

BTW - attached is a "before" picture. This is my first time posting a picture, so I'm not sure if it will work.

Attached Thumbnails Ape Hanger Recommendations-2_mhp_0354.jpg  
Old 09-30-2010, 09:33 AM
junior07
Road Master
Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts

Nice lookin sporty.

I am in the process of upgrading my bars as well. Not installed yet, but ordered the Burly 14" 1 1/4' apes.

http://www.burlybrand.com/apehangers/B28-336t.aspx

I have a great indy nearby who is doing the wiring for me. He does all custom wiring to minimize the excess wiring and make the cleanest front end possible. It will cost me $$ but for the clean look, it is worth it.

Will post pics when finished.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:14 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you want the best go with carlini`s go to there web page, there spendy but they are the best

Old 09-30-2010, 06:33 PM
Wizid
Cruiser

I had very good luck with www.wild1inc.com. The quality is very good, and they are good guys to deal with. They also provide very good tips on wiring, and doing the installation.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:35 PM
smketr7139
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine are narrow 1" 16's with internal wiring..all I have showing is brake and throttle lines..gives it a nice clean look..IMO you should go with narrow apes on your sporty they seem to add better flow on narrow front end models

Old 09-30-2010, 06:41 PM
BobStreetBob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going from 16" Wild1's in chrome to 14" Wild1's in black. There are lots of different makers and styles out there. Gotz to check them all and go with the ones that jump out at you and feel comfortable and makes you feel all tingly and chit.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:56 PM
Stubby3492
Road Captain

Originally Posted by prattbratt
Just want to know what handlebar manufacturers you all have used and recommend. I'm planning on replacing my stock handlebars on my 2008 Sportster with a set of 14" apes. Looking at both pre-installed wiring/controls versus just buying the handlebar bar along with a cable/hose kit. A company with great customer service (both before and after the purchase) is a must as I live in Korea and can't "kick the tires" before I buy.

Thanks,
Mark
That's a great looking Sportster. Personally, I think it looks good just like it is.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:38 PM
prattbratt
Advanced

Thanks Stubby. I also like the way it looks now. The main reason I'm going with apes is comfort. Otherwise, I'd leave it as is for now. That being said, I like the looks of apes better, so it's a win-win for me.

To elaborate a little on the comort, I've noticed I develop a knot in my back just under my neck when I go on long rides. It feels like someone is sticking me with a hot poker when that particular muscle flexes, and usually takes 4 or 5 days to get the knot out. I took some still photos of me on the bike. I rigged up a VERY crude dummy ape hanger using a tube from a roll of paper towels and a couple of wire hangers. I varied the length of the apes (12", 13", 14", and 16") by adjusting the length of the wire hangers. I wanted to see at what point my hands would be above my shoulders. At 16" they are over, and at 14" they are under, so that's why I'm going with 14".

Attached are two pics: one of me with the current stock bars and one with the dummy apes bent to 14". What really struck me when I saw these pictures was 1) how much more forward my back is bent with the stock handlebars and 2) my body is in more of a jack knife position with the stock handlebars (especially if I had an engine guard with foot rests, which I also plan to get), whereas with the 14" 'apes', my back is straight and overall my body looks more natural (I'm 6'0" but have relatively long arms and legs). So that's really the driver behind switching to apes.

Mark
2008 Sportster 1200 Roadster
V&H Short Shots, Fuel Pak
Screamin Eagle Heavy Breather
LePera Sorrento

Attached Thumbnails Ape Hanger Recommendations-2_mhp_0356_stock-handlebars.jpg   Ape Hanger Recommendations-2_mhp_0362_14-inch-apes.jpg  
Old 09-30-2010, 10:45 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bill has a video of how he asks his customers to measure for a new set of bars.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KahEt...0a88f5fbcb7287
http://www.brcustomcycles.com/Home_Page.php

Quick Reply: Ape Hanger Recommendations