General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno tuning

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 03:13 PM
tx-skydiver
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dyno tuning

Is this something that can be done at the dealer or is it only from a specialty shop? I assume it would take the place of a race tuner?

Sorry for the ignorance.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:54 PM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

A dyno tune has to be done on a dynamometer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamometer
some dealerships have them and some independent shops have them, it will not take the place of a fuel processor or race tuner, it is used to tune the bike (or car) for the best performance.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:00 PM
albertasaurus
Road Master
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Some dealers do dyno tuning, some don't. Personally, and I don't have a real good reason for my choice other than gut feel, I would go to a good independent dyno tuner. I'm sure there are a few reputable tuners in the Dallas area.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:30 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by albertasaurus
Some dealers do dyno tuning, some don't. Personally, and I don't have a real good reason for my choice other than gut feel, I would go to a good independent dyno tuner. I'm sure there are a few reputable tuners in the Dallas area.
One needs to find a tuner with a reputation. There are some very talented tuners out there. Most are independant shops.

Very few dealerships have a strong reputation in the dyno tune department.
The few dealerships that I have dealt with, spent minimal time and charged maximum dollar. You end up running good at 5000 rpm (so he could give you pretty numbers on the dyno sheet),.... then running like crap in the cruising range where you spend most of your time at.

A good tuner will spend several hours dialing your bike in at every range and in every gear, in order to recreate actual driving conditions.

Find one with a proven track record, even if you have to drive a few hours to get to him. You won't regret it.

You still need a SERT or Power Commander. This is where he makes all his adnustments while on the dyno. The dyno is his "measuring stick" to see what the changes are doing and where they need improvement.