General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle Safety Course

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 06:37 AM
gman33
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motorcycle Safety Course

Having my first class tonight for this program. (6 sessions total @ 2.5hrs per) I am really looking forward to taking it and wonder who else has taken it and if there are any pointers, other than not dropping the bike or running over the instructor, that you could provide? I have been reviewing the manual and would really like to have my MC license after this. Have only been riding for 2 months or so and feel very comfortable on my Sportster

Thanks for the feedback!!

Old 09-29-2010, 06:45 AM
Redleg by God!
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Listen to every word. Assuming that you know better will get you in a bind later. Then practice what you were taught.

Good Luck!

Old 09-29-2010, 06:50 AM
artz
Road Master

listen and pay attention to the instructors in and out of the classroom, for they are there to teach and help you (obviously).
Have no fear, when they say to do a particular exercise. Just follow thru.
The reasoning behind this course is to get you your license, so the majority of folks are gonna be in the same boat as you. As **** says....Just do it.
and remember.... if you take for granted what you learned and let it go to waste and not improve upon it,
you are dead meat, and a statistic in waiting. Your success means more than just your life at stake.

Last edited by artz; 09-29-2010 at 06:53 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:53 AM
nrvna76
Intermediate

I just took the class in MA a couple of weeks ago.. if you have been riding for 2 months I am sure you will be fine.. There were people in my class who had never sat on a bike before and the whole class passed. Definitely pay attention to the classroom part and the written test will be a breeze. While doing the field practice before the test I tried to make sure I pushed my limits to see what would happen, I figure thats what I payed for. Good luck.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:33 AM
gman33
Cruiser

Thank you all for the comments....appreciate it!! I am going into this not knowing a thing....my mind set. I want to learn as much as I can. I guess my one concern is the bike that I will be using as it will be from the class but that should be a minor issue.

Thanks again!!!

Old 09-29-2010, 07:46 AM
FatJohn
Cruiser

Originally Posted by gman33
I guess my one concern is the bike that I will be using as it will be from the class but that should be a minor issue.
Most of the MSF classes use little Honda 250's or something equivalent. Compared to your sportster, you'll find it light, simple, agile, and signficanly underpowered. Shouldn't be a problem at all.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:19 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts

I'm 55 & just took mine a few years ago. I'm in PA also. The bikes were Honda 250s. They also had some dirt bikes, but I knew I wanted a cruiser so I did the 250. When I took my course, the last day of riding was actually the test. Pass the test & walk away with your motorcycle endorsement on your license. At least, that's how it was 5 or 6 years ago. You'll get some good, useful info. For example, when you're on the road & you wanna go around a bend in the road, if it's a sweeping right bend, you have to push on the right side of the handlebar to go right. Doesn't make sense & I rode my nephew's bike the day before my safety course started. I tried to turn right, but the bike always went left! He didn't tell me! Just alot of stuff like that, that you'll learn. It's pretty easy & will be useful to you. Have fun.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:39 AM
Mobius570
Intermediate

I just took mine here in PA as well, back in August. I have never been on a bike before this, so I was nervous as hell. Like it was stated above, just pay attention in class and the writen part is easy as hell. The bikes we used were the Honda 250's, and I had no problems at all and passed the test.

After words the instructor asked how long I have been riding and told him since yesterday. Thinking I was doing something wrong, I asked him why he asked. He said I looked comfortable and confident for never being on a bike before. I repsonded with "I pushed myself to my limit with the mindset that I would rather dump your bike here at 20MPH, and not know my limit and dump my bike on the road at 60MPH".

Old 09-29-2010, 09:54 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

open your ears and eyes, take what the you learn to heart. While the 250cc bikes may seem like a toy, everything you learn can be transferred to your own bike.
Don't freak out on doing the box... it's all HEAD, and EYES... look where you want the bike to go, and you'll whip that 250 in tight circles.
If you can, take the ERC next year.... same course, but just one day.... and uses YOUR bike.

One word of caution... don't let the 250cc bike fool you....People get careless, and are killed taking the class, on those bikes..... operator error, is a fact of life

Old 09-29-2010, 10:01 AM
DavidStiebel
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Thumbs up The EU model

For what its worth, In the EU (Germany, France, Spain etc) you need to have at least 1 year on a mid sized before you can test for a heavy.

I completed the mid sized test 1.4 years ago, 4 months ago finished the heavy coarse consisting of written and field testing, both were simple and easy, nothing I didn't already know or would have figured out on my own. For this privilege I paid 1500 NIS (@ $400) X2. Was it worth it? No but this is the bureaucracy we live in here.

Alternately in St. Louis where I received my US lic, it was 'my ***' so I passed a simple ‘can you control this thing’ test and away I went. MUCH BETTER! STILL ALIVE!!

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Safety Course