General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle Safety Course

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 11:05 AM
caberto
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
The MSF course is great. Very well structured lesson plan that enables a brand new rider to get their license in 3 days. And may even teach the veteran rider a few new things.

But I wonder if what is taught in that class really makes much of a difference on the streets as far as preventing accidents.

When I think about it, it's been my defensive riding skills rather than my ability to do a figure 8 in a box that has kept me out of harms way.
When I took the MSF course several years ago... they did teach evasive maneuvers, emergency stops, and good practices to help stay out of or minimize threatening situations. Yes, you can get your license in a short amount of time, but the things you learn there are only meant to be starting points. The rider's responsibility is to practice what they've learned there. Learning and practicing never ends.

The figure 8 is not done for the sake of doing a figure 8, I think it is done for the sake of becoming comfortable with being able to control a motorcycle. Granted, it's a light 250, but it gives the rider a feel for what they should be able to do on a bike to know they can handle it properly at slow speeds.

It is much better to have this course than to not, and go out there and be a much higher danger to themselves and to others.

Without a doubt, I think it is the best and most important $ anyone can spend on their total riding experience.

Last edited by caberto; 10-27-2010 at 11:08 AM.