General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle Safety Course

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 02:48 PM
John_HD
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ohh and I'm not normally one to rat on someone, but that instructor doing the wheelie should not be an instructor. The MSF takes this very seriously.

Old 10-26-2010, 04:46 PM
chrisangie
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me,wife and 17 year old son all 3 just took the course. We all loved it allthough the boy outroad all of us in the class. I would recomend it for anyone.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:01 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by John_HD
My instructor told me that covering the brake creates an opportunity to over-react.
That's one of the silliest things I've heard. Covering the brake allows you to react to an emergency quicker. Never a bad thing. If you "over-react", it's because you don't understand braking or because you panic.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:41 PM
caberto
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by stro1965
That's one of the silliest things I've heard. Covering the brake allows you to react to an emergency quicker. Never a bad thing. If you "over-react", it's because you don't understand braking or because you panic.
Well, that's exactly the point... most people taking the course wouldn't understand motorcycle braking or might panic when starting out, so why tell them it's OK to do so.

Our instructor touched on that... he said it would not be a good idea for a beginner to do so... because of the inexperience and tendency to possibly panic and squeeze hard in certain situations because of the panic - and not a deliberate and more controlled action of actually reaching for the brake purposely... once a rider is experienced and in more control, he said he didn't see anything wrong with it.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:49 PM
tlever
Advanced

My wife took the course. She said it was really good and informational. She went to the DMV a few days after finishing the course and aced her test. Not bad for going from never riding a bike to getting a license in 4 or 5 days. Best of luck and enjoy the ride.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:01 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by caberto
Well, that's exactly the point... most people taking the course wouldn't understand motorcycle braking or might panic when starting out, so why tell them it's OK to do so.

Our instructor touched on that... he said it would not be a good idea for a beginner to do so... because of the inexperience and tendency to possibly panic and squeeze hard in certain situations because of the panic - and not a deliberate and more controlled action of actually reaching for the brake purposely... once a rider is experienced and in more control, he said he didn't see anything wrong with it.
Ahhh, gotcha. Yeah, I can see that. I guess I wasn't looking at it from a newb point of view.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:03 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gman33
Having my first class tonight for this program. (6 sessions total @ 2.5hrs per) I am really looking forward to taking it and wonder who else has taken it and if there are any pointers, other than not dropping the bike or running over the instructor, that you could provide? I have been reviewing the manual and would really like to have my MC license after this. Have only been riding for 2 months or so and feel very comfortable on my Sportster

Thanks for the feedback!!
It's well worth the $. Study your state DMV rules of the road book.

Good luck and enjoy.

Jim

Old 10-26-2010, 08:43 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The MSF course is great. Very well structured lesson plan that enables a brand new rider to get their license in 3 days. And may even teach the veteran rider a few new things.

But I wonder if what is taught in that class really makes much of a difference on the streets as far as preventing accidents.

When I think about it, it's been my defensive riding skills rather than my ability to do a figure 8 in a box that has kept me out of harms way.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:32 AM
QehQeh
Road Captain

+1

Originally Posted by caberto

Ahhh, gotcha. Yeah, I can see that. I guess I wasn't looking at it from a newb point of view.
OK +1 on that

Old 10-27-2010, 06:32 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
The MSF course is great. Very well structured lesson plan that enables a brand new rider to get their license in 3 days. And may even teach the veteran rider a few new things.

But I wonder if what is taught in that class really makes much of a difference on the streets as far as preventing accidents.

When I think about it, it's been my defensive riding skills rather than my ability to do a figure 8 in a box that has kept me out of harms way.
The figure 8's are great practice for preventing embarrassment in a parking lot though! I can do some wicked figure 8's in that box on the Ultra...

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Safety Course