General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle Safety Course

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 08:26 AM
Mobius570
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blaven48
That's awesome. I gotta head over for my class tomorrow night. Was supposed to go to the fair but the darn rain stopped that tonight
Good luck with your test, we may have to ride sometime!

Old 10-01-2010, 11:01 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

"Like I said if everyone had real road experience before taking the test, some would realize motorcycle riding is not for them."

Okay, big cahuna, now I understand what you said in your previous post, and agree with it! In fact, some make that decision in the class, when they get to a point they can't handle.

As far as the 16 year olds, (or anyone under 18), they have to take and pass the class just to get their permit, and then have to ride a period of time and test for the state (MN). Other states may be different.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:38 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by big cahuna
To everyone who has taken this 3 day course, Don't think because you have spent three days driving in circles in a parking lot, that you know how to ride. The scary part is you can now buy the biggest most powerful bikes they sell, with no real road experience. The learning part will come when you realize that all the other drivers on the road haven't taken the same course you have, and don't care about what you know. Just because you can pay a fee for the class doesn't mean you'll react the right way in a situation, because most new riders are old car drivers. The licensing part should come 2 months after you take the class and have logged at least 1,000 road miles on your bike. I' d be willing to bet alot won't show up for the test, due to being scared to death of some of the actions cars and trucks will do to a motorcyclist who hasn't learned to anticipate what other drivers are about to do.,,

So what's your complaint, exactly? You can buy the same bikes without the class. If this post has a point, it seems to be either that (a) you should start riding on the road in traffic, without learning in a parking lot first or (b) you're better off riding in traffic without taking a safety course than riding in traffic after taking the course. Both of those would be kind of dumb points. Maybe your point is "nobody should ride a motorcycle because they might get scared?"

Unless you're going to tell us a way that a new rider can learn to ride without ever being a beginner, I don't see much that makes sense in your post.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:23 PM
SPaZZdOG
Advanced

You are correct. I had my license decades before someone came up with the idea to make fast money by adding an express lane for getting a license. Like I said if everyone had real road experience before taking the test, some would realize motorcycle riding is not for them. I personally know some people that were thrilled to get their license over a weekend, bought a bike and in there first time out on the real road freaked out. One had to have the bike towed home. And 16 year olds getting a license in three days? There's a recipe for disaster if I ever heard one. As far as the class making people better drivers maybe it will, but not in a weekend.,,

I don't know the laws in other states but in Kentucky you have to hold your permit for 30 days if your over 21 and 6 month for under 21(could be wrong on the 21 ,it may be 18). So where I live you won't get your license in a weekend. All it does here is waive the riding portion of the test ,which is just riding through a few cones. I don't see how you can put the class down without ever doing it.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:53 PM
1hellbent
Road Captain

You are correct. I had my license decades before someone came up with the idea to make fast money by adding an express lane for getting a license. Like I said if everyone had real road experience before taking the test, some would realize motorcycle riding is not for them. I personally know some people that were thrilled to get their license over a weekend, bought a bike and in there first time out on the real road freaked out. One had to have the bike towed home. And 16 year olds getting a license in three days? There's a recipe for disaster if I ever heard one. As far as the class making people better drivers maybe it will, but not in a weekend.,,
I had Harleys and many big crotch rockets for over 15 years, they were my daily drivers much of the time....and on the streets and freeways in southern California as well. I lost my knee cap at the age of 15 after laying a scooter down.

After taking time off from riding for 20+ years, I took the MSF course so as to get my M1 edorsement back. I have a hell of a lot of experience under my belt, more than many on the roads and this forum. So did the weekend class make me a better driver? You bet your *** it did! And it made better drivers out of everyone enrolled that weekend. Don't ever think you now it all....ain't ever going to happen.

Regards,
Larry

Old 10-01-2010, 01:05 PM
Blaven48
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Mobius570
Good luck with your test, we may have to ride sometime!
Thanks and yes maybe we will have to do that I was gonna go ride with my buddy today he has to take his bike to get tuned after I installed his new exhaust for him but I'm still on vacation for 3 more days and wanted to relax a bit hehe.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:49 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by brenn
So what's your complaint, exactly? You can buy the same bikes without the class. If this post has a point, it seems to be either that (a) you should start riding on the road in traffic, without learning in a parking lot first or (b) you're better off riding in traffic without taking a safety course than riding in traffic after taking the course. Both of those would be kind of dumb points. Maybe your point is "nobody should ride a motorcycle because they might get scared?"

Unless you're going to tell us a way that a new rider can learn to ride without ever being a beginner, I don't see much that makes sense in your post.
I don't have a complaint, just want to let people know what the real deal is. I never said you shouldn't practice riding in a parking lot, my statement is to all the people that think you can sit thru a day of class and 2 days riding in a parking lot and think your a good rider. If you stop being so defensive about taking the course and read the points I was making you would understand. Of course everyone is a beginner at some point, but nowadays everyone wants a license first, then will learn how to ride later. I've seen people that took the class, go on group rides right after getting their bikes and if they aren't holding up the ride due to being nervous, they fall over in the parking lot. Controling a 175 at parking lot speeds is alot easier then maneuvering a RoadKing at 40 in traffic. I believe new riders should take the class first, then do practice riding to gain confidence and ability before being handed a license. Would you want a electrician that never touched a wire before taking a 3 day class then being handed a license, to come to work on your house to "start learning" how to do it right.,,

Old 10-09-2010, 06:51 AM
gman33
Cruiser

Well I am 4 classes in, scored a 98 (1 wrong out of 50) Very opened minded, showed up 1hr before the riding portions to listen to those instructors, was lucky to have no rain as well. This weekend is my last two classes......I now have the flu from my kids. Feels like I have been knocked on my A$$...but there is no way I am giving up. The instructors were extremely nicer to me, or so it seemed because I asked a ton of questions.....not that it is going to help in passing but they could tell that I am into it and love to ride. There were only 3 of us that have ever been on a bike and a couple of people did not come back....they just looked too uncomfortable riding. The best place to realize this is at a free course.
So I am hoping I don't cough and sneeze a lot the next two days....haha....will do my best

Thanks again you guys for all of your comments and support...truly appreciate it!!

Old 10-09-2010, 05:42 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

I willl be a contrarian on the basic course. I've been riding 40 years. I kept hearing how great the course was and how much I would learn.

NOPE.

I can see it for those that have never ridden, ridden little, or have taken a break from riding that it would help.

I ride alot every year and have ridden steet bikes for decades. It really didn't teach me anything I didn't already do intuitively or have learned over the years.

Maybe the Riders Edge Course of one of the more advanced one would be more beneficial. The most beneficial thing for me would be able to take the courses on my own bike.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:02 PM
dmftoy1
Tourer

I had ridden for 20 years, took a long break and then started again to please my wife. I have to say I learned alot more than I expected. To me the two best bits were the box and the swerve drill, really enjoyed those. I never thought I'd be able to ride the box (was on the dirt bike) but then I watched one of the instructors ride it on his full dress Victory . .still amazed at that one as I've put on 21k miles since taking the class and I still don't think I could ride the box on my dyna . .really would like to try it a few times though.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Safety Course