General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle Safety Course

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 01:31 AM
Nicky Pass
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I took the Rider's Edge class at the Dealership I bought my Deluxe from. They worked it into the deal. I've ridden for years....but it was only friend's bikes and for short periods of time. When I decided to buy my own, I wanted to do it right, so I took the class and it was also an easier way to get the M license. I thought it was gonna suck, but it ended up being an awesome weekend and I learned stuff that can save my life. I HIGHLY recommend it!

Old 09-30-2010, 02:43 PM
Blaven48
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finish mine up this Friday and Sunday. I never rode a bike before and after doing 2 of my sessions out of 4 I would recommend taking this to anyone. That class gave me the confidence to get out there on my bike and that was just after 1 riding session. Looking forward to my last 2 classes this week. Just wish the darn weather would be decent so I could get more practice in

Old 09-30-2010, 05:15 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

To everyone who has taken this 3 day course, Don't think because you have spent three days driving in circles in a parking lot, that you know how to ride. The scary part is you can now buy the biggest most powerful bikes they sell, with no real road experience. The learning part will come when you realize that all the other drivers on the road haven't taken the same course you have, and don't care about what you know. Just because you can pay a fee for the class doesn't mean you'll react the right way in a situation, because most new riders are old car drivers. The licensing part should come 2 months after you take the class and have logged at least 1,000 road miles on your bike. I' d be willing to bet alot won't show up for the test, due to being scared to death of some of the actions cars and trucks will do to a motorcyclist who hasn't learned to anticipate what other drivers are about to do.,,

Old 09-30-2010, 08:25 PM
Mobius570
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Blaven48
I finish mine up this Friday and Sunday. I never rode a bike before and after doing 2 of my sessions out of 4 I would recommend taking this to anyone. That class gave me the confidence to get out there on my bike and that was just after 1 riding session. Looking forward to my last 2 classes this week. Just wish the darn weather would be decent so I could get more practice in
I'm just over the hill from you in Bloomsburg. The last day of our class it poured all day, but it looks like you may be okay for a nice Sunday ride.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:46 PM
elkhunter719
Cruiser

Took mine on a Friday night, Saturday and Sunday. Needed it to ride on military installation and to cut my insurance. Best 28 miles I ever rode in a parking lot. Classroom instruction was first rate too. Had fun and learned a lot.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:48 PM
SPaZZdOG
Advanced

Originally Posted by big cahuna
To everyone who has taken this 3 day course, Don't think because you have spent three days driving in circles in a parking lot, that you know how to ride. The scary part is you can now buy the biggest most powerful bikes they sell, with no real road experience. The learning part will come when you realize that all the other drivers on the road haven't taken the same course you have, and don't care about what you know. Just because you can pay a fee for the class doesn't mean you'll react the right way in a situation, because most new riders are old car drivers. The licensing part should come 2 months after you take the class and have logged at least 1,000 road miles on your bike. I' d be willing to bet alot won't show up for the test, due to being scared to death of some of the actions cars and trucks will do to a motorcyclist who hasn't learned to anticipate what other drivers are about to do.,,

I just finished the class a couple of weeks ago. I don't think many people who take the class think they know how to ride after the get out of the class. I took the class to learn the proper techniques and so I could get my endorsement so I could test ride some bikes before I bought one. Money can't buy you on the road experience but the class will get you started in the right direction. I do have a little experience because I have a bike before but its been along time ago. I loved the class and will highly recommend it to anyone.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:55 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by big cahuna
You apparently have never taken the class. If you had, you would KNOW that what you state is covered over and over and over and over and over again in the class.

BTW, everyone "shows up" for the test. It's done at the end of the class, and, although similar, is much tougher than the one the state gives. It's how they get their license. Not all pass, but most do.

Yes, many students are "old car drivers." But many are also 16 year old kids. Either way, the class makes them also better car drivers, as they learn to LOOK, and LOOK AGAIN.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:40 PM
Blaven48
Road Captain

I know I'm not gonna be the best with just starting out but I'm not stupid on the road. I'm a very good defensive driver to begin with so I'm sure ill do just fine. Its the other idiots u have to watch out for.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:42 PM
Blaven48
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Mobius570
I'm just over the hill from you in Bloomsburg. The last day of our class it poured all day, but it looks like you may be okay for a nice Sunday ride.
That's awesome. I gotta head over for my class tomorrow night. Was supposed to go to the fair but the darn rain stopped that tonight

Old 10-01-2010, 07:21 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
You apparently have never taken the class. If you had, you would KNOW that what you state is covered over and over and over and over and over again in the class.

BTW, everyone "shows up" for the test. It's done at the end of the class, and, although similar, is much tougher than the one the state gives. It's how they get their license. Not all pass, but most do.

Yes, many students are "old car drivers." But many are also 16 year old kids. Either way, the class makes them also better car drivers, as they learn to LOOK, and LOOK AGAIN.
You are correct. I had my license decades before someone came up with the idea to make fast money by adding an express lane for getting a license. Like I said if everyone had real road experience before taking the test, some would realize motorcycle riding is not for them. I personally know some people that were thrilled to get their license over a weekend, bought a bike and in there first time out on the real road freaked out. One had to have the bike towed home. And 16 year olds getting a license in three days? There's a recipe for disaster if I ever heard one. As far as the class making people better drivers maybe it will, but not in a weekend.,,

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Safety Course