General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle Safety Course

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 10:02 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by gman33
Thank you all for the comments....appreciate it!! I am going into this not knowing a thing....my mind set. I want to learn as much as I can. I guess my one concern is the bike that I will be using as it will be from the class but that should be a minor issue.

Thanks again!!!
I rode my Street Glide to the classes and had NO problem making the transition to the 250's. It'll be like riding a toy for you. Like others said, just pay attention & use common sense. I'm not sure if they'll give you a book or not, but I found it super easy to highlight the one sentence in each chapter that pertained to the "practice" questions they had us go through in the classroom. If you do that, you should be able to score 100% on the written test, like I did.

I ride with some people who have been riding all of their lives. A couple of them took the course just last year and were amazed at what they learned. It was a big benefit for them. I was also amazed at the number of people who have been riding for 20-30 years, never took the course ('cuz they didn't think they needed it) and STILL don't know the proper/safe way to ride.

It's a lot easier than you think, but HIGHLY beneficial. Hell, my 23 year old daughter took the course & passed it about 2 months ago and she had NEVER been on a bike OR drove a manual transmission before!

Good luck & have fun!

Old 09-29-2010, 10:05 AM
Splais1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took mine last month. they let you use your own bike if you have one. So I took the class with my Sportster. Our class was three 4 hour plus sessions. One day in classroom and two days riding skills with riding skill test at end. It was an excellent class.

A small and true annecdote - On the second riding day we spent a great deal of time on swerving and emergency stops. You guessed it, on the way home some guy in a truck parked on the shoulder pulled out to whip a U turn right in front of me. Never saw me at all. I ended up slamming on the brakes and coming to a full skid stop. didn't hit him and didn't drop the bike. The class works!

Old 09-29-2010, 10:22 AM
caberto
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Great decision on your part! I think it's the best $ anyone can spend on their riding career. Pay attention, listen, do, and most importantly, after the class is done and your M license in your wallet, is practice what you learned... knowing it is one thing, executing it confidently is something else. It's been almost four years for me, and I still go out to parking lots and practice. It's a life long learning experience, and this is just the foundation of all that learning.

Have fun!

Old 09-29-2010, 10:25 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,346 Likes on 1,520 Posts

Good luck with the class. Some of the best time/money/investment you will spend...

Old 09-29-2010, 10:37 AM
LRHD
Road Captain

Like other have stated, pay attention. As for using bike you will be on, it will be small and very easy to handle. The riding part of the class was enjoyable.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:00 AM
prostar
Club Member
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Youll do fine, lets us know how it goes.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:12 AM
Rick-e
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife announced to me this summer that she was going to get her M endorsement. I left it all up to her to find the course and sign up. When she was on line signing up I said "sign me up too!"
I've been licensed since 1972, but anything I can do to become a better, safer rider is cool with me.
Our classes start Friday night, and I'm really looking forward to it!

Old 09-29-2010, 11:20 AM
Nubz
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't taken it yet myself but I just wanted to wish you luck

also from what I hear it's not a big thing if you pay attention and have half a brain

Old 09-29-2010, 11:29 AM
Lone Stranger
Novice

If you can, attend a class on a military base - it's free and are offered all the time...

Old 09-29-2010, 11:32 AM
doghair
Road Warrior

I took it a few years back to get an endorsement back instead of going to DMV. Been riding for decades but went in open minded and picked up some new tricks and busted some old bad habits.

It's worth every minute, have fun and learn. Cheer each other on, it helps with everyone's confidence.

Let us know how it goes.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Safety Course