General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riders Edge

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 11:02 PM
tlempke
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riders Edge

Just registered for the Riders Edge Basic course tonight at the House of Harley in Milwaukee. I will be taking the class in a week and I am really looking forward to it! Anyone on here taken it and have experiences they would like to share?

Old 09-28-2010, 11:15 PM
AThousandHurricanes
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took it. It is basically the standard MSF course, plus they give you a HD branded notebook and a tour of the dealer. I only took that vs. regular MSF because the course fit my schedule better than the MSF course. We rode Buell Blasts, which I actually found harder to maneuver than my FXR. You will do fine though...there were some seriously horrific riders (Myself included!) that passed, if only just barely.

Also found it funny that of the maybe 12 people in the class, 3 rode mopeds, and all of them (save for 2 or 3) had any intentions of every buying a Harley. One kid wanted a Triumph Thruxton (he had the trendy scene-boy gayness to go along with that hipstermobile), one guy was happy with his newly purchased Goldwing, and the others were going to rock their Vespa's for a while (more power to them). Only an older guy who had ridden years prior, myself, and this hot actress chick who happened to be in the class to learn to ride for her show (DVD on TV host or something like that) either had or wanted an HD.

Overall the course was great and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Especially if hot actress chick is doing a retake too

Old 09-30-2010, 02:48 PM
StreetGlider57
Road Master

I took my rider's edge class at Hal's, so I expect you'll get the same class. Expect a lot a class time, lecture, but it is worth it. Many of the things the teacher will tell you, you will remember when on the road later on. The range lessons are made for beginners so don't worry about your skill level. I never rode before taking the course. You may have a few rough spots on the range, but that is okay, just stay focused and work through them. I had trouble with the clutch and dropped my Beull Blast during one of the tight turn exercises. After passing the course you only need to take the written test at the DMV, which is the same as the written test for the class only shorter. After practicing the same things with my Street Glide that I learned in the class I was riding my Harley on the open road. Good luck and enjoy and course.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:47 PM
mrt1
Intermediate

I would never recommend the Riders Edge course. Yes, you will learn how to ride, learn the laws, etc...but the price is ridiculous. Take the course offered by the state. Same lessons learned. I wish I took the state course. I would have kept 250 bucks in my pocket.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:52 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrt1
I would never recommend the Riders Edge course. Yes, you will learn how to ride, learn the laws, etc...but the price is ridiculous. Take the course offered by the state. Same lessons learned. I wish I took the state course. I would have kept 250 bucks in my pocket.
State course is only $25 in Michigan. It's the same MSF course but it's subsidized by the state. Either way you'll have fun.

Last edited by barjbar; 09-30-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:36 PM
35KILO8589
Supporter

I took the course and was glad I did. I had never been on a motorcycle before. The instructor was great and kept the class interesting. I would recommend it to anyone. The class size was great, 6 guys total.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:47 AM
oldprowler
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

It is always good to learn/practice on someone elses equipment. You will take away only as much as you put into the course and in the end you will find that you learned a whole lot more than you felt like you were learning at the time. I still find myself hearing one of the instructors talk about getting out of "situations" as they develop around me on the road. Hell, just being more aware of what is going on and how to avoid/escape was worth the cost of the course. And I understand that most if not all HD dealers refund the cost of the course if you buy from them within a certain time.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:23 AM
mwswarrior
Cruiser

I enjoyed my Rider's Edge course (Doc's in Shawano, WI). Best quote of the class on the last day: "You are now qualified to ride a small bike very slowing aroudn a parking lot." Funny and true!

Just took a one day "Experienced Rider Course" at the Naval Base. Great reminders of good riding skills and habits and a day riding is always better than a day at work!

Old 10-01-2010, 08:36 AM
06Ultraman
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

I took it last year 09 after 3 years of riding on temps. Finally spent the $400 on the 3 day course as I remember. Lots of book reading and good basic manuevers on Buell blasts. Content wise it is worth it for beginners. I took it to get the endorsement. Everyone told me DONT take the state test on an Ultra...(tight course etc) SO! what to do? you cant rent a bike without an endorsement. I knew no one with a small bike and I was tired of reupping the darn temp every year. (written test) The state MSF course is only one day and not much practice time. I figured what the hell. The people were great who took it with me and it was fun aside from the 90deg. on blacktop pavement!

Old 10-01-2010, 08:41 AM
inswva
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Local dealers offering Riders Edge around here want anywhere from $250 to $400 depending on the dealer and the schedule. The MSF course through my local community college was $105. Of course, I got lucky and snapped up the last spot in my MSF course after someone else bailed on it two weeks prior to the start of the course. Typically, folks have to wait *months* to get into the MSF around here.

So, if time is a priority, I can see the benefit of Riders Edge. Of course, even the Riders Edge classes fill up pretty darn fast too.

Quick Reply: Riders Edge