Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help deciding on which bike is right for me

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 06:18 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Chaos
Is it underpowered compared to a 1200, absolutely.
I've owned both, and I disagree

Old 09-29-2010, 06:27 AM
iupsig97
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My opinion from my own experience at 6'2" on a Sportster, you'll be wanting something at least in the Dyna family for your size. Don't get me wrong, Sportsters are a fantastic bike but for us taller guys it just doesn't look right.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:11 AM
Bike-R-Mike
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well , I guess you get where this is going . Although a Sportster is a great bike , as with ANY bike you want it to fit YOU . At your height a Sportster won't . I'd agree with looking for a used Dyna . They are a better fit for a taller person and can be bought in good used condition for the money you want to spend . Case in point , I have one for sale (as I just bought a Road King) and I'm asking $7000 Canadian . I know that doesn't help you as I don't live anywhere near you most likely , but what I mean is that there are plenty of good Dynas out there for what you want to spend .

Old 09-29-2010, 07:17 AM
nigelgeast
Road Captain

My 2c worth, at the moment most dealers have 2011 Demo bikes. if you have a licence book a demo ride on a couple of different bikes and see what you prefer, then make your decision, as said previously there are some good value second hand bikes out there if you are patient.
Good Luck and post the ride as soon as you have it.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:04 AM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

I think you would outgrow that sportster pretty quick. I had a 1200C for about a year and liked it a lot but I'm 5-10 with a 29 inch inseam and short arms. As others have said, take a look at the dynas.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:12 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BassCatcher
I think you would outgrow that sportster pretty quick.
I dunno.......I'm 44

Old 09-29-2010, 10:22 AM
Nubz
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by beitzel15
Yeah, I understand it's a hard topic.. I was more or less wanting to know if they're as cramped as they look! haha.

My favorite harley is a wide glide! I'd take a street bob though! my only problem is getting financed without a job since im in school 10 hours a day.. come tax time, I'll have enough for a street bob but dont want to spend every penny I have for a bike.
I'm pretty sure you could find a decent older Super Glide that is in the price range you mentioned
Easily can be turned into a Street Bob or Wide Glide

Like others say I agree with getting what you really want in the first place even if you might have to wait a little longer or spend a little more money
you want to be comnfortable and happy with what you ride or it won't be as much fun

Old 09-29-2010, 02:12 PM
Bartley1
Advanced
Default Six Four

The XR1200 fits taller riders nicely, has plenty of power and comfort. I'm 6'3" and ride an '03 FXDX which has taller suspension and I really enjoyed the XR1200. I've seen used ones around close to your price range. Like others have suggested, go to your local dealer and schedule a demo ride. My local dlr lets you schedule it online.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:23 PM
4 inch pistons
Road Master
Received 142 Likes on 82 Posts

Trust me on this on. Six years ago I was in the exact same situation----but bigger HDs were a lot more expensive back then. I settled and bought a nice 1 yr old 883 with 1700 miles on it. I was soooooo happy.

Then a dealer had an open house and I had time to kill. I demo-ed a Deuce. I went 2 months without sleep until I could sell the sportster and get a bigger bike. Nothing wrong with a sportster, but you need to compare.

A final thought----- There are a ton of deals out there that make buying a new bike, well...............not necessary.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:26 PM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by beitzel15
I've been wanting to a bike for as long as I can remember... but I really only can afford something in the sportster family price range. I may finance but would like to pay it off cash ($6000-$8000)

I really like the forty eight but hate the small 2gal. gas tank... and the iron883 & nightster are really nice too.

My questions, I've heard that on bikes with mid mounted footpegs that they vibrate pretty bad.... Im 6'4, I havent set on a 883 yet but feel like the bike will be a tad too small for me... Anyone else around my size and ride one of these sporters?

Is the 883 lacking in power compared to the 1200? Does anyone know if Harley will cut deals for Military?

Ill post more questions when I think of them, Thanks!
The 883 is a SLUG! Avoid the 883 if you can.

I rode a 1200 xl for 3 years back in the late 80's and I loved it. I am 6'4 and used forward controls. I moved off the xl because I did not like the high center of gravity.

Quick Reply: Help deciding on which bike is right for me