General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has been stopped for having earphones in while riding? Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 06:16 PM
glebo
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,093 Likes on 351 Posts
Default RE: Who has been stopped for having earphones in while riding? Anyone?

the only music I listen to is the sweet music of my harley motor!! And the wind through HA HA, (or around) my ears.

Old 09-13-2006, 06:21 PM
hdtwice
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: TXSwede

ORIGINAL: hdtwice
Aw geez.......what were you in school....the hall monitor?

Stop running!!! I'm going to tell!!
Better than that! I taught Junior High School english in the 70's in inner city Minneapolis for a couple years. I had to take the knives away from the kids who were going to fight that day, and tell on them. I had to tell on the kids with the crack in thier backpacks. And I had to tell Woody's mom that he had died of an overdose of herion in the third floor bathroom, cuz nobody TOLD on him!! So try your preachin on someone else.
Ha!! I knew I wasn't that far off seeing you as a hall monitor. However, kids on crack and pulling knives are a far cry from some earphones an adult is wearing, try to put it in perspective and lighten up a little.
Safe rideing to you

Old 09-13-2006, 06:31 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Put it in perspective. O.K. You go on picking and choosing the laws you want to obey, and try to remember you make things very diffucult for those of us who are trying to teach kids to obey laws. Great examples!

Old 09-13-2006, 06:33 PM
saidin43
Cruiser

Some states allow you to wear an earphone in one ear, don't know if where you are allows that. Of course, want to somehow make the connection a monaural one so u can hear everything in the music.

Old 09-13-2006, 06:49 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member

If you want a law changed write your congressman, join your local A.B.A T.E. Get involved in local elections. Or you can just say that the law is 'stupid' and do it anyway. How many poeple think speed limit laws are stupid, or turning your blinker on before a turn, or having two beers and driving? I've known guys that thought laws against armed robbery were stupid. If you think a law is stupid work to have it changed. But you have to obey it till it is. The next time your child is caught breaking one of your rules, I hope thier excuse is 'Its stupid'. You will let him slide then, right?

Old 09-13-2006, 06:56 PM
dadofsix
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From a practical standpoint, what is the difference between listening to "tunes" via headphones while riding, and a cager's use of a cell phone (heck even a hands-free one) while driving. Both take some of your attention off of the road to some extent don't they? Are we, perhaps, establishing a double-standard here?

Just curious, I guess.

<><Peace

Old 09-13-2006, 06:56 PM
lapisblue
Tourer

It's legal for a person that is 100% deaf to ride but you can't wear headphones and ride????

Old 09-13-2006, 07:06 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: lapisblue

It's legal for a person that is 100% deaf to ride but you can't wear headphones and ride????

Agreed, but up until such time as the public lobbies to have the law changed, it is illegal to ride/drive with headphones on.

Quite honestly however, it would take either a bored cop, or a new one, to worry about it. Unless I am behind you with lights and siren running, and you don't move over cuz you can't hear me, I could really give a hoot.

At the same time it raises a question. You either ride with no helmet, or with a shorty, hence the wind noise in the ears. To cover the noise, which you apparently don't like, you wear earphones......and then complain that it is illegal. Isn't the entire situation something of your own creation? Not trying to be an azz here.....just looking at it from the opposite side of the coin.

Old 09-13-2006, 07:07 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: lapisblue

Thats the excuse I gave the cop in Palm Springs 30 years ago! He said that thier other senses were hieghtened to make up for it.

Old 09-13-2006, 07:20 PM
eliems
Cruiser

I met a lady while driving my dirtbike and slowed down for her dog runing around on the trail. This gave her the opportunity to yell at me that the sign said "No Dirtbiking".

"Right", I said ... "that's the sign under other the one that reads "Keep you dog on a leash".

Enjoy your tunes but not too loud to hear sirens etc.

Quick Reply: Who has been stopped for having earphones in while riding? Anyone?