Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's with trikes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 09:31 PM
warrconn
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What's with trikes?

I understand that some folks who can no longer keep it up on two wheels, for whatever reason, need more wheels. But, I don't get the trike, training wheel thing. How about a sidecar? They're pretty cool, actually, and historically a big part of motorcycling. Have you seen those electronic training wheels that automatically come down at stop lights/signs? WTF!!

Then there are are the kits that are actually training wheels that retain the bikes's rear wheel. After that, we get the trike conversions which H-D is now selling. How about a cool side car? Handling wouldn't be any worse, and Mama would probably be more comfy. When the time comes, I will go sidecar. Plus, for some reason, people love 'em.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:48 PM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts

I guess people are going to ride whatever they choose...I don't have a problem with that...From my experience a trike handles easier than a side car...But I agree the side car does have a certain appeal to people.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:00 PM
chopperglide
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trikes flip at highway speeds, in emergency maneuver mode. With that said ever try a side car? They look cool but they are hard on the right turns and in an emergency with all that txt and driving jeeps a side car would certainly put a lot of fun back into it.
I have never seen those retractable training wheels but with the new SG I just don’t want to put my feet down LOL.
Do what ya gotta to 2 stay in the wind!!!!!

Old 09-26-2010, 10:04 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I like trikes , think training wheels are stupid....but if they are happy and out there riding, good for them

Old 09-26-2010, 10:06 PM
89 FLST
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am thinking of putting a "DIY" trike kit on a sportster that I have been trying to get my wife to ride. If I do then maybe she will give it a go. She loves to ride behind me. there are a couple of Gals here in our town (both height challenged" that ride trikes because they just feel more comfy on three wheels.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:11 PM
S/SixPack
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The people I see motoring around on them seem to be having a good time.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:20 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by S/SixPack
In a nutshell, that's it right there.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:21 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't get people getting out of sorts about what someone else rides.

what's up with that??!

Old 09-26-2010, 10:35 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Dunno, I think this is cooler than a bike with a sidecar.

http://www.chopperbyggarn.se/frame_central.html

Old 09-26-2010, 10:51 PM
edilgdaor
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,519 Likes on 3,843 Posts

Originally Posted by S/SixPack
Exactly.

Now, I saw something a few weeks ago that initially seemed even more complicated. But it was still as simple as you said, when I thought about it.

It was similar to those CanAm trikes, with the two wheels in front and one rear wheel. In addition, the rider also had two 'outtrigger' wheels between the front and rear wheels. One on each side. They were about as far apart as one of those two-wheeled car-dollies that people tow a car with, the kind where they drive the front wheels of the car up a ramp and strap the car's front wheels down between the dollies's wheels. Yes, that meant that the vehicle I'm trying to describe had 5 wheels. Two front wheels that were close together and steered. Two middle wheels that were like an outrigger canoe, one on each side 4 or 5 feet apart, and then one rear wheel. As far as I could tell, the thing could not lean. It was even wider than some cars at the out-rigger wheel area, and I was puzzled and trying to figure out what the reason was for a vehicle like that that seemed, to me, to have no logical benefit of a motorcycle, and then I realized-

She was in the wind. She was happy. I don't NEED a reason for that.

Quick Reply: What's with trikes?