General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

saw a stranded biker

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 12:21 PM
slowenwobbly
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HD 472
A similar thing happened to me a long time ago...I had money when I left, but problems came up.....I spent two nights sleeping on the ground at two different rest stops....It could have been legit......I'm glad not everyone thinks like you.....
Again, I'll help anyone with a legitimate need.
But, everyone lining up here to get their compassion card punched by claiming they'd give this guy money no matter if he was scammin' or not, sounds disingenous and not too bright.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:39 PM
col_kurtz
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fireman9513
Yeh JollyRogers, That would bother me also.
Also when I lived in Tampa there were panhandlers on the street corners, not all of them but there were several areas that must have been gold mines.
There was one woman, her hair was pure white, I dont know if she dyed it or it was from the sun, but she was red from the sun, always out there on the corner begging for money.
She had a sign, 5 kids, no job, need help.
I always asked myself, were are the kids?
I mean, during a weekday I could see them being in school, but on the weekend?
Then one day I got stopped at this light and saw her walking across the parking lot across the road, she got in the drivers seat of a pretty nice car and drove off.
A guy I worked with said he was gonna quit working and panhandle, he said his buddy was raking in 5 to 7 hundread a week and didnt pay taxes and here he was working and paying taxes and only taking home a couple hundred a week.
She hung out right there at Fletcher and I-275.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:45 PM
col_kurtz
Advanced

Originally Posted by dog155
Your definetly a good person.In 06 was stranded,and was amazed how many rode on by and some looked the other way.Very sad day for me because I'm one that always has stopped and always will no matter what the vehicle.
Got a flat on US1 near Sebastian Florida. Rear Tire was done for. at least 200 "bikers" rode past looking. Finally a patched MC'er pulled up. Called a brother who ran a little shop in town, he came down with a trailer took me to his shop and put a Maxxis rear tire on. Not my first choice but it wore pretty decent. 110 bucks for the tire and labor and 40 buck tip. I also dropped a 20 on the first cat.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:06 PM
N-gin
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys.
If it was a scam or not He did all that for $40 he needed it more than I did.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:02 PM
dag5984
Advanced

I have to respond...I am young dumb and full of c** and live fairly on the edge. I have a steady pay check and cant get fired for at least 3 more years. There have been times when I have very little money, enough to get me and my scoot from here to there and maybe back. I have left on many road trips with a pack of smokes in my pocket and a prayer I dont f up my bike somewhere. I have tatoos although I am not meth skinny that could have been me. You just dont know. I am suprised more of the folks on here have never hit the road with almost nothing and not a care in the world. Sometimes you bust. Anyways, I agree with the others that you did right regardless. What goes around comes around (thats one of those good cliches to remember).

Old 09-27-2010, 10:26 PM
brianmz1
Intermediate

Doesn't matter if it was a scam or not. Your heart was in the right place! Right on Bro!

Old 09-28-2010, 05:35 PM
fireman9513
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by col_kurtz
She hung out right there at Fletcher and I-275.
Yep, thats it, couldnt remember the road, but thats the one.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:44 PM
VsTheWorld
Road Master

Originally Posted by dag5984
......... I am suprised more of the folks on here have never hit the road with almost nothing and not a care in the world. Sometimes you bust. ....

guess i've always believed in being self sufficient - not saying there aren't those out there that try to rely on themselves but fail and have to ask for help ... but seems theres a lot more that just rely on others to bail them out of a bad spot rather than plan for a way to do it themselves (or just figure a way out of their predicament once they get into one).

Old 09-28-2010, 09:38 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Pagan48
At the end of the day each of us is going to do what feels right. I've helped out lots of people and walked away wondering if I just got scammed. Thought about it a minute and was satisfied knowing that I did what I thought was right at that time. If I got ripped off then it's on them - not on me. Shame on them if that s the way it is. In no case shame on me. If I reach out and help someone I don't lose anything.
I agree wholeheartedly. You did what your heart told you to do. How it works out is up to him. You'll get teh 40 back many times. If he scammed you , he'll get that back too.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:04 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You done good OP.

And the King shall answer and say to them, Truly I say to you, Inasmuch as you have done it to one of the least of these my brothers, you have done it to me.

Quick Reply: saw a stranded biker