General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

saw a stranded biker

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 08:44 AM
valvestem
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No good deed goes unpunished. Seriously, you done good.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:48 AM
JoeN
Tourer

u r a nice guy

Old 09-27-2010, 09:22 AM
Ricks Ride
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Pagan48
At the end of the day each of us is going to do what feels right. I've helped out lots of people and walked away wondering if I just got scammed. Thought about it a minute and was satisfied knowing that I did what I thought was right at that time. If I got ripped off then it's on them - not on me. Shame on them if that s the way it is. In no case shame on me. If I reach out and help someone I don't lose anything.
I share your perspective. There has been a couple of times that I felt that I may have been taken but take solace in the fact that I did something as opposed to doing nothing.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:29 AM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Healey2Harley
I'd rather gamble on a fellow biker than the lotto. Besides the goverment would probably figure out how to take that $40 anyway.
+1

100% correct

Old 09-27-2010, 10:02 AM
Rick-e
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pagan48
At the end of the day each of us is going to do what feels right. I've helped out lots of people and walked away wondering if I just got scammed. Thought about it a minute and was satisfied knowing that I did what I thought was right at that time. If I got ripped off then it's on them - not on me. Shame on them if that s the way it is. In no case shame on me. If I reach out and help someone I don't lose anything.
Bingo! right on the money. I'd have done the same as the op. My life is pretty good right now but it wasn't always that way. I know what it feels like to be down to my last buck or tank of gas. I'm sure I've been scammed a few times, in fact recently I gave a few bucks to an old aquaintance I hadn't seen in years, he gave me some bullshit story about why he needed the money, I knew it was crap, but I gave him the dough and wished him well. My wife gave me the "look" afterwards, but I just shrugged it off.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:05 AM
slowenwobbly
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by anickel
Always has to be someone thinking negetive. Maybe he pushed his bike across the state line just so he could scam someone out of money. A$$es like you are the whole problem with society now days. Hope some day your down on your luck and no one helps you out!

OP you did good, what comes around goes around.

I see people everyday runnin' scams like this, and yes, they are scams.
If doubting the sincerity of one of these folks makes me an ***, so be it.

I'll help anyone with a legitimate need, but I don't care to be taken advantage of by someone too lazy to help themselves.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:21 AM
Blargh
Road Captain

i don't give cash to individuals - cash goes to charities, they'll make better use of it and make sure it gets used for the intended purchase.

I don't know how many bums have asked me for money for "food" - I offer to buy them some food, and they either refuse - or cuss me out and then refuse.... they want cash for drugs/booze ...anything other than food. Only once when a guy asked for money for food did he take me up on it - i offered him some of my lunch from home, and he gratefully accepted so no problem if they actually want a meal, but no cash.

A news station did a story years back where they watched a "bum" panhandling at the offramp of an interstate (at the red light) - then watched him a few hours later walk up the street and get into his luxury car (believe it was a lexus) and drive off... guy was clearing something crazy like $60k or more a year it turned out (tax free of course).

I break my own rule on occasion - gave some money to an older lady trying to get metrofare back home...everybody was walking past her, myself included out of habit (lots of bums in DC), but then I thought about her and walked back to pay her way - sure wouldn't want my mom to have to stand in a crowded subway asking for a few bucks just to get home... sure, it could've been a scam, but as with the OP sometimes you do it and just leave it up to karma or whatever else is out there to decide if it was the right thing to do.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:56 AM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

I've never been down on my luck on purpose, but I have hit hard times. Been laid off for 7 months now, and behind on my mortgage. But that's another story.

I hope I never have a breakdown that I can't fix out of pocket or my own skills around many of the people here. I might have to put up a mailbox there.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:28 AM
arcticharleyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mcrider1
Or, the guy scammed you? His buddy could have pulled the van back around to load up the pos bike and go home after a good day of scamming the RUB's? Hope that's not what he was doing, but you never know?
Yah...and YOU would have been one of the jerks who just rode on by...right?

Old 09-27-2010, 11:33 AM
HD 472
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slowenwobbly
Left where he was without the money to get where he was goin'.
How legit is that?
A similar thing happened to me a long time ago...I had money when I left, but problems came up.....I spent two nights sleeping on the ground at two different rest stops....It could have been legit......I'm glad not everyone thinks like you.....

Quick Reply: saw a stranded biker