General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

saw a stranded biker

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 12:12 AM
El Dee
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The evel one

Several years back I was heading thru the UwHarrie Forrest on my way to the SmokeOut in Salisbury. I decided it's time for a cigarette and pull off at the entrance to a landfill. Actually it was a grassy field with a nice sign with directions to the landfill. I walked around my scooter while smoking and realized a "Valdez" puddle of oil was forming underneath it...Yeah....Long/short the internal return line had sheared inside the oil tank and had become the oil drain...Great. I had hitched my trailer to my truck and thrown my keys under the seat before my departure just in case I needed a rescue. I phoned a friend and told him where I was and he headed my way. It was a good two hour trip for him. I sat by the highway and saw many, many HDs heading to the SmokeOut. Not one damn scooter stopped...some waved but none stopped. One dude in a pickup pulled up to offer help. I passed on his offer but at least he offered. We chatted it up until my friend arrived...Now a fella like RandyDowdy would turn around.....Can you say the same for yourself?? There was once a day you didn't ride on by a fellow rider...Sadly that day has passed...Now if you're dressed in the latest leather and riding the latest from the MoCo I might ride on by too.........

Old 09-27-2010, 04:33 AM
05Hog
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been riding 30+ years and remember when there was a VERY good chance I was going to need that tool kit I carried. Used to be when you broke down bikers would stop and check. Old bandana on the mirror if you REALLY had a non repairable. Today people are either more untrusting or just don't give a rats ***. Hey if I pass you and you need help I'll give you what I got. Ain't nothin I can carry on that bike that is gonna change my life if I give it away or loose it. You never know, it could be you. Do what you feel is the right thing to do and feel good about it. Don't worry about getting scammed life is too short.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:53 AM
DMas
Road Master

Originally Posted by Pagan48
At the end of the day each of us is going to do what feels right. I've helped out lots of people and walked away wondering if I just got scammed. Thought about it a minute and was satisfied knowing that I did what I thought was right at that time. If I got ripped off then it's on them - not on me. Shame on them if that s the way it is. In no case shame on me. If I reach out and help someone I don't lose anything.
+1 I had a guy come up to me in a parking lot and he said something like-"I see from your truck you're probably in the trades (I'm not), can you help a brother out?" Can't remember what his story was but it seemed legit. Gvae him a few bucks to get some gas. Having been stuck on the side of the road (just the other day) and seeing bikers of all stripes keep goin', I'd rather help a guy out and get scammed than get so cynical as to not help. Like Pagan said- it's on them, not me.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:48 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Your definetly a good person.In 06 was stranded,and was amazed how many rode on by and some looked the other way.Very sad day for me because I'm one that always has stopped and always will no matter what the vehicle.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:11 AM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder how many fellow bikers gave him the goofy two finger wave as they passed him up?

Old 09-27-2010, 07:46 AM
tas_todd
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 793 Likes on 386 Posts

We ALL will have to answer for our actions one day. I've helped out people like this guy and wondered if it was a scam or not. If it was, they'll have to answer for it. Either way, I could help so I did.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:59 AM
toby61
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No matter what anyone else thinks, you did the right thing.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:03 AM
Healey2Harley
Road Master

I'd rather gamble on a fellow biker than the lotto. Besides the goverment would probably figure out how to take that $40 anyway.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:27 AM
32vld
Road Master

"A “good deed “is only a good deed if goes Un-told.
Once told, you have received your reward in the form of praise& gratitude"

I think it's good to share the knowledge gained through one's experiences. Better then getting to "feel good" is to help other's learn how to weed out the swindlers from those going through a hard time.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:43 AM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same thing goes with helping women broke down with flat tires on the road. I haven't seen one lately, but have stopped before and helped them.

Even with all the equipment, some women aren't physically capable of changing a flat. So I have helped.

I have no idea if this will help me on the Other Side, or just with Karma. But it feels good to help someone sometimes.

I do believe what goes around comes around. So a little sweat may be worth its weight in gold. Who knows?

RD

Quick Reply: saw a stranded biker