General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

saw a stranded biker

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 09:21 PM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cantankerouscarl
Whether he was legit or not, you did what your heart told you to, i hope if i'm ever down and out, someone does the same, thank you.
And that is the truth. You never know if they might be scamming you or down on their luck. It's a crap shoot. And the $40 might have kept him from getting way beyond desperate and doing something that could have turned out bad for others.

I was passed by a panhandler the other day who needed some cash. He looked rough. i had a few bucks in my pocket and gave him a couple. That might have been what kept him from going hungry that night or maybe he did take it and buy a beer. I didn't question it. It didn't hurt me to give him the money.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:32 PM
shiftharder
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It`ll come back to you - 40$ ain`t gonna buy a tow but it probably got him a meal or 2 and some smokes. - good on ya.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:53 PM
csbreeze
Road Warrior

I understand there are bad people out there scamming and yes it does mess it up for the next person in our heads. The first poster did the right thing. If it was a scam so what. The guy showed he was in trouble, he road a bike, and he needed help. I would have done the same thing.

Would you rather take the chance on a biker being in trouble and not getting help or being scammed.

I will take the chance it is not a scam with a dude on a motorcycle. The chances are much lower its a scam if he drives a bike.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:02 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

i could of easily been in that same situation.. i usaly go out having with little more $ then enough for gas.. if there was a broken down bike good chance the rider needed help..i was at a truckstop once a guy came up to me ,said his truck broke down and needed money for a hotel for the nite with his daughter.. i was 600 miles from home with only $40 in my pocket and a tank of gas... trust me i have heard this story plenty of times but i had a feeling he was honest,i had a truck to sleep in and figured wht..i gave him $20 for a cheap truck stop room,figured if he was panhandling at least i felt good about it.. then a little scared dirty 7yo girl came around the corner and thanked me.. as far as i know it might of been an angel testing me,mabye the guy got a 24pack and a happy meal??.. i have a good consious..

Old 09-26-2010, 10:14 PM
Bigiron
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You did good, and good things come to those that help others.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:19 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

how odd is this... my friends bike just had a pulley bolt back out , caught the frame and ripped the pulley off the wheel . both the pulley and rear wheel are now junk. only difference is he didn't have to beg for money., well that and doesn't smell

Old 09-26-2010, 10:39 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

This has scam written all over it. If he was traveling, he'd need to have traveling money. Now, he's somehow somewhere along his trip from PA, but doesn't have $40 or a CC. How was he going to continue on his trip with no coin?

Old 09-26-2010, 10:47 PM
chopperglide
Advanced

A “good deed “is only a good deed if goes Un-told.
Once told, you have received your reward in the form of praise& gratitude.

Not to say that’s what you are looking for or what you did was not good, because it certainly was!!!
I use to look like that and believe me nobody ever went out of there way for me. You r a good person.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:22 PM
SteveO-ll
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To the OP and all the others who have helped others, congratulations on being real human beings.
I like to think the glass is half full, and not half empty, it's doing the right next thing for the right reason. Nothing more, nothing less.

"Ne' Obliviscaris"

Old 09-26-2010, 11:30 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

Doesn't sound like a scam. Bike was visibly broken, I doubt he loads/unloads a bike with broken sprocket bolts into a trailer daily and then goes home.

Maybe he wasn't too smart, maybe he was just out of reach of friends along the way. Who knows?

KARMA. I believe in it. Your pocketbook is lighter, either way you have $40 less. I hope you felt good about it, that is what counts.

If he was a fraud, you don't know, so it should make you happy.

I wish more were like you. If I see a bike broke down, any type of mc, any race of rider, I offer to help.

If I ever find myself in that situation, I hope someone else would help me.

RD

Quick Reply: saw a stranded biker