General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

saw a stranded biker

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 07:37 PM
anickel
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slowenwobbly
Yeah, hate to be cynical, but I wonder what he would have said had you offered to come back with a trailer.

I'm bettin' he lived within a quarter mile of the Shell station.

How come people with no money, always have the coin for tatoo's and crap?
Always has to be someone thinking negetive. Maybe he pushed his bike across the state line just so he could scam someone out of money. A$$es like you are the whole problem with society now days. Hope some day your down on your luck and no one helps you out!

OP you did good, what comes around goes around.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:40 PM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

In my years, I have learned you cannot judge by a person's appearance whether they are really destitute & down on their luck, ask me how I know. This senario appears to be legit IMO & I would also have helped him. If this was a con, it is problem & he is the one who will have to live with it. It's all about in your mind you are doing the right thing...

Old 09-26-2010, 08:00 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slowenwobbly
Yeah, hate to be cynical, but I wonder what he would have said had you offered to come back with a trailer.

I'm bettin' he lived within a quarter mile of the Shell station.

How come people with no money, always have the coin for tatoo's and crap?
i can get free tattoos all day long....there is always a guy at parties giving them for free to gain experience.OP didn't say the dude had GOOD tattoo's lol

Old 09-26-2010, 08:13 PM
32vld
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in the suburbs and panhandling is rare.

I have known of stories of people scaming for money. It's said the best way to prove a fake is when they claim they are hungry offer to buy them a meal instead of giving them cash. The addicts and drunks will walk away.

About twenty five years ago I pull into my regular gas station to fill up. A middle age beer gut guy in a tacky polyester dress shirt with top three buttons undone with a gold chain was going from pump island to island asking for money to buy gas. He said he was embarrased to admit he left his house without money and now won't make it back home. He seemed slimmy. I didn't believe him but tossed him two quarters (gas was 50 c a gallon) just to get him to move on.

As I was done and returning the nozzle to the pump this guy goes walking by me with the bigest strut and smirk he could muster and get into a nice late model car with a six pack and drive off without buying any gas.

About 10 years ago I was in the gas station across the street from the earlier one. I was out of work and had been for a while. This woman, middle aged had a mid sized car about the size of a 1985 Buick Regal a few Islands over I saw her beening nervous as she approached several people. She came over to me saying she had a long ways to go and was out of money. She was dressed plain, acted reserved yet embarrased. I had about two dollars in change in my pocket (mad money holding out on the wife) reached in while pumping my gas me and gave it to her. I told her that was all I could do because I have been out of work for a while. She thanked me, went in to the cashier to buy whatever gas she could.

I went into the mini mart and got $2 change back. When I came out I saw her by her car at the pump and it looked like she was living out of her car full time. So I approached her and said if this helps you can have my change. This woman's response to what I did was total surprise and her thanks made me feel that she wasn't scaming anyone.

I know I didn't give that woman much money but I left that station with my pockets empty. Left there feeling good because this time I helped someone in trouble.

All we can do is help in the way we can. Do our best to judge well enough to avoid the scammers.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:22 PM
warrconn
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good for you, but the guy sounds like a meth-head

Old 09-26-2010, 08:36 PM
louisianaSVT2001
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't mind helping people at all but would not give cash. I've seen too many scams from people. But if you had that deep down feeling that his situation was honest, you did the right thing.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:45 PM
JimmySGC
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember when I was a kid a guy telling my Grandma outside a bank that he had just gotten to town and he didn't start work until Monday (it was Saturday) and he needed money to feed his wife and little boy. My Grandma gave him $50. We got into the car and I asked her if she thought he really needed it or did she just buy him booze or worse. She said it didn't matter, she gave it out of kindness and hopefully he'd do the right thing. Wasn't more than an hour later we went to the grocery store before heading back to the farm and guess who we saw, yep, the guy, his wife and their little boy buying grocery's. He waved across the store to us and his wife smiled and mouthed "thank you".

I've never forgotten that, and to this day I give down and out people what I can and I don't worry what they do with it. I do it because it makes me feel better. You did a good thing OP, whether or not it was a scam.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:50 PM
rodnock
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmySGC
I remember when I was a kid a guy telling my Grandma outside a bank that he had just gotten to town and he didn't start work until Monday (it was Saturday) and he needed money to feed his wife and little boy. My Grandma gave him $50. We got into the car and I asked her if she thought he really needed it or did she just buy him booze or worse. She said it didn't matter, she gave it out of kindness and hopefully he'd do the right thing. Wasn't more than an hour later we went to the grocery store before heading back to the farm and guess who we saw, yep, the guy, his wife and their little boy buying grocery's. He waved across the store to us and his wife smiled and mouthed "thank you".

I've never forgotten that, and to this day I give down and out people what I can and I don't worry what they do with it. I do it because it makes me feel better. You did a good thing OP, whether or not it was a scam.
Excellent!

Old 09-26-2010, 09:02 PM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I've been scammed 2 times or could be said as, just lied to. It had nothing to do with bikers, just reg folk. Anyway, it makes you leary. But,
I try to help if I can cause I have been helped in the past

Old 09-26-2010, 09:11 PM
fhaley
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good job OP. Regardless of whether it was a scam or not, you feel better about it, and very well may have saved his day. Sounds like you did the right thing to me. I understand that a lot of people are just scamming, makes it hard on those who are truly in need, we just have to try and help the ones we feel really need it, knowing that at some time we are gonna get taken. I think I could sleep better knowing I helped someone who really needed it, than if I thought I could have helped someone in need and didn't. Anyway, hope it all comes back tenfold.

Quick Reply: saw a stranded biker