General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

150 horse harly gotta love it

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 10:31 AM
Trex
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

To you guys suggesting "Why don't you just buy a busa or a Ducati", I have a suggestion, why don't you mind your own business? People are capable of free thought and generally Harley riders will do as they please, someone wanting to hotrod thier Harley doesn't need any goofballs like you making stupid suggestions like that.I wouldn't want to be seen on a busa myself. Gay lookin thing.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:36 AM
wwNightster
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Splandman
Good friend of mine has a 75 Z1 bored out to 1200 that does 9.30 on a 160 tire (with bars). Not bad for an old air cooled bike. We ride it on the street but it's not exactly streetable. Overheats easily.

Never ridden a modern liter bike. Would like to know the feeling.
Splandman, it is quite a feeling. I love Harleys, but this is going to ruffle some feathers, Harleys are purely about image and fun. I just love how the bikes look and they are a blast to ride, delightfully obnoxious, and extremely easy to wrench and maintain. I also have a 2005 CBR 1100xx (European import, 172 HP) that is is purely for performance and comfort. Having ridden dirtbikes and cruisers for most of my riding experience it was an eye opener to move into the super sport bike world. Here is my take on my scooters:

1998 Electra Glide:
Picked it up cheap and had fun rebuilding it. 90k miles and runes like a tank. Not a big fan of the touring bikes, they are too big, severely underpowered, and with the stock 2 up seat i find them a little cramped. Switching to the my Lapera solo, i get a ton more leg room. I have ridden newer baggers with the 103 but still think the bikes are suffering from lethargic power and torque delivery. Though underpowered I must admit the the bike handles wonderfully for a beast of its size. Always impressed with the ride. The sole purpose for me owning this bike is to take long trips with the wife, I just dont find baggers fun to ride, it is more of a chore.

2009 Nightster:
Fun bike, stage 2 cams, real zippy, not too bad in the handling department, gets about 1/2 my riding time, logged 12k miles this year. Just a fun bike at most speeds up to @ 90 then she gets iffy. The breaks are rubbish, and even though I have upgraded to progressive front and rear suspension the ride is far from plush but it isnt too bad for short trips of less than 300 miles or so. The small tank is kind of a pain but livable. All in all a great Harley. Sporties rock.

2005 CBR 1100xx:
Not truly a crotch rocket as this is a massive bike (@ 496 lbs dry) though it pretends to be one. For a while this was the fastest prod scooter in the world but the zx-14 and hayabusas eclipsed them. 172 mph is as fast as I have had her but unfortunately I hade much more engine left than I did ***** so i didnt get her going any faster though I am confident she can push 200 (the European models arent governed to 186 mph by the ecm like the American models). The large seat allows you to shift positions from hugging the tank to more of an upright stance. Until you ride a bike designed for performance you are missing out. This thing is quite honestly the finest motorcycle I have ever ridden. The bike is designed to handle the high horsepower and never gives you more than you ask for but if you ask for it it gets delivered instantly. The brakes are phenomenal, the acceleration instant, the handling perfect. It is just a more refined experience than the other two bikes. Believe it or not, I much prefer long 1 up trips on this machine than on the Glide.
The down side is with the vtech engine it is orders of magnitude more more complicated to wrench on than my HDs.

Long story short, grab a liter bike and go but dont be surprised if it changes your view on what a motorcycle can be.

Last edited by wwNightster; 12-28-2010 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:42 PM
Splandman
Tourer

Originally Posted by wwNightster
Splandman, it is quite a feeling. I love Harleys, but this is going to ruffle some feathers, Harleys are purely about image and fun. I just love how the bikes look and they are a blast to ride, delightfully obnoxious, and extremely easy to wrench and maintain. I also have a 2005 CBR 1100xx (European import, 172 HP) that is is purely for performance and comfort. Having ridden dirtbikes and cruisers for most of my riding experience it was an eye opener to move into the super sport bike world. Here is my take on my scooters:

1998 Electra Glide:
Picked it up cheap and had fun rebuilding it. 90k miles and runes like a tank. Not a big fan of the touring bikes, they are too big, severely underpowered, and with the stock 2 up seat i find them a little cramped. Switching to the my Lapera solo, i get a ton more leg room. I have ridden newer baggers with the 103 but still think the bikes are suffering from lethargic power and torque delivery. Though underpowered I must admit the the bike handles wonderfully for a beast of its size. Always impressed with the ride. The sole purpose for me owning this bike is to take long trips with the wife, I just dont find baggers fun to ride, it is more of a chore.

2009 Nightster:
Fun bike, stage 2 cams, real zippy, not too bad in the handling department, gets about 1/2 my riding time, logged 12k miles this year. Just a fun bike at most speeds up to @ 90 then she gets iffy. The breaks are rubbish, and even though I have upgraded to progressive front and rear suspension the ride is far from plush but it isnt too bad for short trips of less than 300 miles or so. The small tank is kind of a pain but livable. All in all a great Harley. Sporties rock.

2005 CBR 1100xx:
Not truly a crotch rocket as this is a massive bike (@ 496 lbs dry) though it pretends to be one. For a while this was the fastest prod scooter in the world but the zx-14 and hayabusas eclipsed them. 172 mph is as fast as I have had her but unfortunately I hade much more engine left than I did ***** so i didnt get her going any faster though I am confident she can push 200 (the European models arent governed to 186 mph by the ecm like the American models). The large seat allows you to shift positions from hugging the tank to more of an upright stance. Until you ride a bike designed for performance you are missing out. This thing is quite honestly the finest motorcycle I have ever ridden. The bike is designed to handle the high horsepower and never gives you more than you ask for but if you ask for it it gets delivered instantly. The brakes are phenomenal, the acceleration instant, the handling perfect. It is just a more refined experience than the other two bikes. Believe it or not, I much prefer long 1 up trips on this machine than on the Glide.
The down side is with the vtech engine it is orders of magnitude more more complicated to wrench on than my HDs.

Long story short, grab a liter bike and go but dont be surprised if it changes your view on what a motorcycle can be.
Thanks for the response. I'm certain I will end up with one at some point. I remember reading about the Blackbird when it came out. I believe that's what your bike is..right?

I don't understand all the damn hate for everything not HD. It's really childish. I don't see why it's difficult for some people to see that there are a lot of us that just like engines, wheels, and power. We like hot rods of any type. I'm a big Mopar guy but I don't hate Chevy and Ford muscle cars. I can think of plenty that I would like to own. (Have a 1978 SWB BB Chevy now).

I do understand TREX's frustration over someone saying just go buy a Busa if you want performance. There are a lot of old Hot Rodders out there that enjoy making the things they love faster and more powerful. I just don't see how people can't appreciate what others can build. Even if you don't like it, you don't have to **** on the idea.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:17 AM
wwNightster
Tourer

Originally Posted by Splandman
Thanks for the response. I'm certain I will end up with one at some point. I remember reading about the Blackbird when it came out. I believe that's what your bike is..right?

I don't understand all the damn hate for everything not HD. It's really childish. I don't see why it's difficult for some people to see that there are a lot of us that just like engines, wheels, and power. We like hot rods of any type. I'm a big Mopar guy but I don't hate Chevy and Ford muscle cars. I can think of plenty that I would like to own. (Have a 1978 SWB BB Chevy now).

I do understand TREX's frustration over someone saying just go buy a Busa if you want performance. There are a lot of old Hot Rodders out there that enjoy making the things they love faster and more powerful. I just don't see how people can't appreciate what others can build. Even if you don't like it, you don't have to **** on the idea.

Yeah, the CBR is the Blackbird. Best damned bike Honda ever made but no market for it =/.

I agree, I dig seeing people wrenching on their HDs, trying to squeaze out just a little more juice. A 'busa is an excellent machine but it doesnt give you the same vibe as a big v-twin roaring. 2 different animals. There is just something about Harley.

By every practical definition my Honda is a far superior bike to anything HD has produced. It has twice the hp and torque, goes twice as fast, accelerates over twice as fast, stops in half the distance, rides more comfortably, costs half as much, out handles at any speed, gets better mileage, and is cheaper to operate and maintain. Have said all that which is my favorite? The Sporty by far, just cant explain it.

There is all kinds of fun to be had on two wheels and so many great bikes to ride. The "Anything other than HD is crap" crowd really grate on me. I think ultimately they are hurting the MoCo, forcing them to stay locked into prehistoric engineering and performance. We should have to trade off style and comfort for performance, at the premium HD charges for bikes we should get it all. All that being said, yes this is the HD forums but every time someone mentions another brand we dont have to bring out the torches and pitch-forks.

Last edited by wwNightster; 12-30-2010 at 08:19 AM.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:33 AM
Trex
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

"By every practical definition my Honda is a far superior bike to anything HD has produced. It has twice the hp and torque, goes twice as fast, accelerates over twice as fast, stops in half the distance, rides more comfortably, costs half as much, out handles at any speed, gets better mileage, and is cheaper to operate and maintain." Your trying to show how open minded you are but just showing how ignorant instead. I'd like to see your attempt at proveing any of those stupid statements. Your a fool if you actually believe it as accurate.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:05 PM
thealaskan
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jap bikers are like an infestation of feral cats, they scream (annoying as hell) and fight in the middle of the night and hang around all day looking for a biscuit and a scratch on the back.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:09 PM
sgod1100
Road Captain

Originally Posted by edilgdaor
You DO know how absurd that sounds, right ? I'm assuming you were just trying to be funny, because it took me a while to stop laughing.

Or maybe you WEREN'T trying to be funny. Perhaps you really DID research everybody who was "saying that", and conducted a survey to quantify everybody's knowledge of the subject matter at hand in this thread. Unfortunately, the footnotes that verified and/or supported your assessments are missing. Until your data is confirmed and the errors of measurement are characterized against known traceable standards of measurement, everybody knows just as much everything as you do.

Have you ever seen a post where someone complains because everybody is complaining ?
Nope..I was serious...There are many people on this forum that automatically assume a high hp harley has many mechanical problems. They thinking that the person who has the high hp harley is always working on it and NEVER riding it. As far as confirming the data...just read this thread!!

Old 01-28-2011, 06:49 PM
Mathews
Banned
Angry

Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
Fail out of school before making it to 7th grade English class?
Ever hear of a period to break up a paragrapha so it's not one long dragging on sentence?
"...THEY'RE happy with 75hp", not "THERE happy"...."There" is a location/direction....LMFAO
Oh **** I cant spell eather......8th grade for me Had to go to work.....Do you half to be a good speller to be on here???????????????????

Old 01-28-2011, 08:01 PM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by wwNightster
Yeah, the CBR is the Blackbird. Best damned bike Honda ever made but no market for it =/.

I agree, I dig seeing people wrenching on their HDs, trying to squeaze out just a little more juice. A 'busa is an excellent machine but it doesnt give you the same vibe as a big v-twin roaring. 2 different animals. There is just something about Harley.

By every practical definition my Honda is a far superior bike to anything HD has produced. It has twice the hp and torque, goes twice as fast, accelerates over twice as fast, stops in half the distance, rides more comfortably, costs half as much, out handles at any speed, gets better mileage, and is cheaper to operate and maintain. Have said all that which is my favorite? The Sporty by far, just cant explain it.

There is all kinds of fun to be had on two wheels and so many great bikes to ride. The "Anything other than HD is crap" crowd really grate on me. I think ultimately they are hurting the MoCo, forcing them to stay locked into prehistoric engineering and performance. We should have to trade off style and comfort for performance, at the premium HD charges for bikes we should get it all. All that being said, yes this is the HD forums but every time someone mentions another brand we dont have to bring out the torches and pitch-forks.
rude lookin bike

Old 01-29-2011, 07:16 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Congrats on stepping it up a notch or two.You are forever changed and will never go back.My 02 bike was in the 140hp range,the 06 bike is considerablly more,making the 02 bike our cruiser machine.Good luck with yours,treat it right it will last a very long time or until you want more.When the bug bites it is almost impossible to resist.

Quick Reply: 150 horse harly gotta love it