Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proper braking technique?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 03:06 PM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mostly front, I use the rear only on sudden or hard stops. This is of course on paved roads. on loose gravel or sandy roads I NEVER touch the front breaks.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:28 PM
BigAlsRK
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by honestbob
mostly front, I use the rear only on sudden or hard stops. This is of course on paved roads. on loose gravel or sandy roads I NEVER touch the front breaks.
+1....in gravel the front brake is NOT your friend....don't ask me how I know

Old 09-24-2010, 04:43 PM
harleyriv
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by defence18
Not sure if you understood that right. The rear brake applies approx 30% of the stopping power while the front brake applies approx. 70%. That doesn't mean you should apply those percentages. Use both brakes same pressure at the same time.
I's a bit more complicated than that involving weight transfer and turning moment... and rotor surface area. Even on a cruiser you should apply less braking force to the rear brake to avoid stepping out or a rear slide ....30%rear 70%front sounds about right...

Old 09-24-2010, 05:06 PM
Hockey Stick
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I useally go with
OOHHHHH SHHIIIIIIIAAAAAAATT !!

but sometimes a situation calls for
FFFFF#####CCCCKKKK MMEEEEEEEEEE !!!

Old 09-24-2010, 05:07 PM
jad
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also use the 30% rear and 70% front method.
Just another thought. I grew up riding in the dirt and dirt raced for a short time. I bought a 2009 FLTRSE3 and it has the ABS brake thing. I have had them activate a few times now. I don’t like them at all. As a dirt rider I always lock the rear brake in emergencies sliding the tire toward my right. I control the bike from the front tire. If it should become necessary to get off I let the bike lay down on its left side and I continue holding the rear brake until I roll to my back. The problem is that the brake lets loose and the bike stands back up. I would much rather let the bike go and get myself out of the traffic. The instance I’m thinking of is I had a pickup pull out from an intersection on a red light. I wanted to slide the bike to its left side and found myself straight up and heading for the side of the truck. Not fun. It all ended good just very surprised how it reacted.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:16 PM
harleyriv
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hockey Stick
I useally go with
OOHHHHH SHHIIIIIIIAAAAAAATT !!

but sometimes a situation calls for
FFFFF#####CCCCKKKK MMEEEEEEEEEE !!!
Like that.......

Old 09-24-2010, 06:17 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 931 Likes on 573 Posts

With the exception of low speed turns when you should never touch the front brake always use both brakes.

Never in an emergency stab them hard. Apply both with increasing pressure. As the front forks depress add more braking force to them as the increased down pressure will allow more brake force. With the rear in an emergency apply just short of locking. If they lock and the bike is still straight get off and reapply. If the bike is sideways counter steer to get back to straight before releasing the rear brake.

You will only get the shortest braking distance with both brakes. By always using both as a habit you will be ready for the time that you need to make an emergency stop.

Just like every motorcyclist should be proficient at counter steering they should be proficient at emergency braking. Otherwise they wind up on the news as accident victims.

The most important factor is stopping in the shortest distance. Sliding sideways and rear brakes only will result in doubling or more of the stopping distance. It is unlikely that will work out. If you're in an emergency stop you will not have the room needed to begin with.

Last edited by lh4x4; 09-24-2010 at 06:23 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:22 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

we ride mostly country, so i use mostly front and downshifts plus time lights so I seldom come to a stop....

If i had to use a % it'd probably be 90 front to 10 rear on most rides. most times I never use the rear.

On quick stops then I use both being sure as not to lock up the rear..

Old 09-24-2010, 08:29 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get a feel for your ride to find the best balance.....Avoid grabbing a handful of front-brake in a tight-turn on a sand covered paved surface!

Old 09-24-2010, 10:24 PM
95th 1200
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

I apply both at the same time, and progressively apply more front brake and less rear as I slow down. As you're slowing down, weight transfers to the front of the bike increasing the tire's contact patch (and available traction) whereas the rear contact patch gets smaller due to the rear of the bike being unloaded. Larger contact patch (and available traction) = greater braking potential. As mentioned, if you find the rear brake locked up, leave it locked until you come to a stop. If you release it while the rear tire is out of line, the bike will "snap" and the result can be a high side fall. It's a good practice to use both brakes and get a feel for the power and threshold each has, since there are two for a reason. Once using both becomes a habit, you won't even think about it in the event of a quick/emergency stop.

Quick Reply: Proper braking technique?