General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M/C cop and cellphone

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 01:58 AM
Nubz
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

total bs
like the idiots cops around here driving around talking on the phone and then pulling people over for it
a law is a law and everyone regardless of their job should obey it(can't use a cell while driving in ny without an ear piece for it)

Last edited by Nubz; 09-24-2010 at 02:00 AM.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:30 AM
Curlybill
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Most LEO"s are exempt from the laws while preforming their duty. I am sure that a victim would not want them driving the speed limit, stopping for stop signs, or waiting in taffic while they are injuried and in need of help. The text could have life saving information in it.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:05 AM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Curlybill
Most LEO"s are exempt from the laws while preforming their duty. I am sure that a victim would not want them driving the speed limit, stopping for stop signs, or waiting in taffic while they are injuried and in need of help. The text could have life saving information in it.
They are not exempt from putting others in danger. They take drivers courses to participate in high speed chances. Those 'chases', alone, puts everyone at risk but outweighs the risk involved just letting the perpetrator go .. Granted information is their biggest weapon against crime but do they have training for 'reading a text' while driving a MOTORCYCLE no less? I repeat .. a MOTORCYCLE! A 2 hand - 2 eye - full attention kinda vehicle. Is there such a thing? I'm surprised they don't have audio texting, so drivers, expecially police don't have to take their eyes off the road...not only for the safety of the general public but the safety of that 'public servant'. The risk to his/her safety is extremely elevated if they use that form of communication. Now there's a million dollar idea.

Last edited by bikergirl40; 09-24-2010 at 08:11 AM.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:06 AM
GrimmRider
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Riiiiiight.

I got a bridge down in San Diego I'd like to sell you too.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:57 PM
Curlybill
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

You do not know what infomation he was getting. There are people with scanners everywhere. If the text had information that was not for others to hear, that may have been the only way for him to get it. As far as training goes, I have no idea what they get. Never been.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:07 PM
DC-LoudSound
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Motorcycles and phones should not be used together. Wait till your off the bike. Who's so important they really need to check their phone while riding anyway ? ....

Old 09-24-2010, 02:03 PM
Blargh
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ord sgt
Watching the news this evening, a news story about a M/C police officer in Florida who was riding in traffic while reading text on cell phone.

thats a good sign - if the tv news leads off with a story like this, or once they get to these types of stories (notice I didn't say "news"), I know there is nothing else important happening in the world so I can turn it off

... or at least change the channel to family guy

Old 09-24-2010, 03:34 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,659 Likes on 2,537 Posts

I've learned not to expect too much intelligence in Florida.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:18 PM
Ironhand
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ok....most "victims" are waiting for the police to come and write down notes on the crime... as fas as a "victim" that is injuried...I'm sure they would rather have a EMT show up

Old 09-24-2010, 06:25 PM
SleeplessinVegas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes when I'm texting, I look at my bike. Beer time.