Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Colorado Rides

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 09:02 PM
Pass Rider
Road Captain
Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

I've been riding in Colorado since 1974 so I have a few suggestions.

1. North on Diagonal highway to US 287. North to Fort Collins. West on State highway 14 over Cameron Pass, down through Walden (watch out for moose). South from Walden to Granby, North through Gran Lake and into Rocky Mountain National Park. Over Trail Ridge Road (closed during the winter) Colorado 7 to peak to Peak highway, then down through Lyons and back to Boulder

1a. Same route but instead of going to RMNP, go south through Winter Park and over Berthoud Pass, Then I-70 to US 6 and into Golden. North on 93 back to Boulder.

2. South to US 6 then up into the mountain and cook up with I70. Get off I70 and take US6 over Loveland Pass then down into Keystone where you reconnect with I70. From there, east back to the Denver area, or west to Vail or west and South to Breckenridge and Hoosier Pass

There are an unbelievable number of great rides in Colorado. If you want to know more, just ask.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:02 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

There's just to dang many nice rides and not enough time to mention them all here. Just get on your bike this Saturday, head north towards Estes Park...over to Grand Lake...head SW to Granby...fill up with gas...head north over Willow Pass to Walden...turn east and head to Ft. Collins...and south to Boulder. Get an early start cuz that's a long ride!!! And watch out for the moose.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:06 PM
rinja64
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Agree - Colorado is great - I love Arizona as well. 5 of us went to Durango last weekend and had THE BEST weather. Blue sky and sunshine. Lots of color in the landscape. Pictures do not do it justice. Just start riding and I bet you will not be disapointed.
Good luck

Old 09-23-2010, 09:24 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

We rode the entire state North to South.
The ride over Rabbit Ears pass and then over looking Steam boat Springs as you come down off the mountain, the view is stunning.
The weather was odd. It would be sunny and warm then.....BOOM, a thunder storm would hit us most everyday we rode.
Expect snow at the oddest times at higher elevations also.
It,s got some cool roads but any State in the West does too and better weather.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:47 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

........ make sure you've got a set of lowers, some heated grips/gloves & a balaclava or a full face so that when it does get chilly, ya don't have to stop ridin' !

Old 09-24-2010, 12:01 AM
hagger
Banned

A lot of great suggestions here. Another close one would be - Berthoud to Carter Lake,
(just follow the signs from Berthoud), once past the lake go north to Big Thompson Canyon.
From there it's all good.

Here is a good link.
http://www.sundaymorningrides.com/road/states/CO.shtml

Old 09-24-2010, 12:08 AM
hagger
Banned

For real close to home head up the canyon just west of town. (Boulder Canyon).
That leads to Nederland & beyond.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:28 AM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've only visted the state a couple of times but man I am itching to get back out there on a bike....the Colorado Springs area is one that I am really looking at when I retire.

I remember Boulder being pretty congested traffic wise......we made the trip down from the Springs all the way out to Cortez and it was absolutely fantastic.

Some of the roads in RMN park were pretty torn up when we went through there so might be a little dicy on a bike

Can't wait to get out there again

Old 09-24-2010, 06:58 AM
SUPRPIG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Estes Park... Leaves should be turning golden, Elk are bugling... wait a minute maybe I'll ride out and join you.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:41 AM
hbarleatherneck
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

peak to peak is nice. i rode it yesterday. during the week is best. less traffic. although coming down 34 from Estes yesterday, the traffic was slow going down. but, you could enjoy the scenery more.

Quick Reply: Colorado Rides