General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hit from behind

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 08:46 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

After the fact I know, but what I got from the Motorcop manual was to always stop a ways back from the vehicle in front of you, aim the bike between the cars ahead and stay in gear for that hole shot you might need. I take it out of gear when I have several cars blocking behind me if it's a long wait, but otherwise stay in.
I've found over time that if you pull up to the vehicle in front of you, the car behind you will always pull up to your rear fender. Staying back sort of demands your space as a registered motor vehicle. Most of the time.
Glad you weren't badly hurt man. Get yours if you can.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:45 AM
Buzzardbait
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ssager1
waiting to see if he even has insurance?!?
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr that is a sore subject with me......

I found out the hard way that "un-insured Underinsured" motorist coverage on my policy only covered ME if i was in a hospital after some jackass with no insureance hit me once.......

"dont call the cops... i dont have isurace"

Well... Bitch.... you just INSURED that the cops are going to be here...

I figued i'd need the report for my insurance company.. My insurance company said, "tough luck.. You'll have to sue her to get your money back, that part of your policy only covers your medical expenses..."

bitch was on welfare.. never saw dime one and she went to jail.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:13 AM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a cage turn left in front of me a couple months back and miraculously I swerved and avoided the collision. He not only tried, but succeeded in leaving the scene, leaving me for dead. I'm way up in somebody's front yard, shaking off the cobwebs, looking back at a huge cloud of dust. Earlier this summer I escaped injury also when I was in the same exact scenario as you. I always scan behind until I have a stopped car behind and keep my clutch in. Maybe that techique may have saved you. I blasted ahead and out of the way of a lady on her cell in her nice new mercedes benz.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:52 PM
SMF
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad your ok brotha

Old 09-24-2010, 06:22 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been told that the police are required to ask if a helmet was worn even when there is no helmet law. It's part of the statistical reporting.

It like before wearing seat belts were required by law. They would generally ask if seat belts were in use.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:33 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

Received 2,224 Likes on 820 Posts

Originally Posted by ssager1
Sitting at red light Monday morning 7 a.m. about 1/4 mile from my office.

All of a sudden I get hit from behind - not super hard hit but startled the heII out of me. While I am collecting my thoughts mentally assessing situation - am I injured, what is damage to my bike, etc.. I quickly pull over.

The guy that hit me was driving a pick up and decided to leave scene of accident - however, rush hour traffic no where for him to go.

He proceeds to broadside another vehicle and then slams into the back of a third.
Sager,

The two most important words in the English language for you now are:

LAWYER UP

Don't let this chump slide.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:26 PM
S/SixPack
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you're okay!
I got slammed from behind several years ago while stopped for a red light. Almost totalled my two year old Gold Wing.
Stay on top of the situation and make sure you look out for yourself. And good luck!

Old 09-25-2010, 06:42 AM
1957buick
Club Member
Received 209 Likes on 161 Posts

Keep us informed as to what happens . This could happen to any one of us, the better informed we are the better we can deal with it. Nothing beats experience in a bad situation. HOPE YOU ARE OK ...... LET US KNOW