General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange seeing no helmets

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 10:34 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 558 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by NoBoldRider
Anyone whose misplaced confidence in the ability of a helmet to save their life should also realize that same helmet may not save their brain......just sayin'
The above statement is true, a helmet won't save the life of a rider that might be killed because of trauma to some other part of their body. And a helmet also is not a guarantee against the rider suffering a head injury in the event of a crash. My helmet didn't prevent my injury when I crashed during a desert race.

On the other hand, my helmets prevented a head injury during any other crashes I had while riding off road for several years. And helmets prevented any injury to my head after my two street 'incidents'.

I don't really care if anyone wears a helmet. We all make our own choices about the risks we take in life. I'm just sayin' that anything that can save a rider's brain from being damaged in an accident is worth having. Of course I might feel different if anyone posted about having an accident that resulted a head injury and they didn't regret having said injury. Anyone?

The bottom line is that whatever reason anyone has for nor wanting to wear a helmet only means anything for the few minutes/hours they are forced to endure the 'agony' caused by wearing a helmet. Death or a head injury is forever. Anyone have any experience in which their unhelmeted head bounced off something solid that they can share with us? Anyone?

Ron

Last edited by rjg883c; 09-23-2010 at 11:39 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:38 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Yeah, I'll share one with you rig883c. It did not happen on a bike but with a car.

When I was 19 years old I rolled a car going about 80-85 mph. I was not wearing a helmet. On the first rollover, the roof caved in and struck my head causing me to lose consciousness. On a subsequent roll I was ejected and slid/bounced down the highway for about 150 feet (according to a witness). I woke up on the shoulder when I heard the air brakes on a semi stopping to check on me. I suffered a broken back, fractured pelvis, damaged knee and big toe. I lost my watch and shoes. I had a gash on the top of my head requiring stitches but no other head injury. I was not wearing a seat belt because I was driving a 1952 Ford and American cars did not have seat belts back then (only European sports cars). I suffered no injuries to my face or other parts of my head.

This happened many, many years ago. I still do not wear a helmet when driving a car and seldom when riding a Harley. I have gone down at moderate (under 50 mph) speed twice. Once without a helmet with no head or facial injuries. Once with a 3/4 helmet with face visor which resulted in gouges to the visor and scratches to the helmet.

My personal, unscientific, opinion is that if I had not been wearing the helmet and visor I would not have received any facial or head injuries. I believe the weight and diameter of the helmet led to the contact with the road.

If one is scared to ride without a helmet then wear one. Feeling safe will make for a more enjoyable ride. I have never once had a negative thought about someone for wearing a helmet. I think most riders that choose not to wear one feel the same. Unfortunately, going by this forum, it seems many who always wear a helmet like to put down those of us that prefer to ride without one. I read the same critical opinions on other forums by riders who think everyone should ride with ATGATT. They even make fun of riders that wear full face helmets but no armor.

Dress like you want, ride what you want, but please grow up and quit preaching.

Last edited by txfxstrider; 09-23-2010 at 11:40 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:02 AM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VsTheWorld
to some, image and fashion may not be as important as it is to you

All the other guys here compliment me on the blonde in my sig pic, and YOU'RE fixated on MY personal style?

This ain't THAT kind of forum, Sweet Pea...

Old 09-24-2010, 12:06 AM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
Yeah, I'll share one with you rig883c. It did not happen on a bike but with a car.

When I was 19 years old I rolled a car going about 80-85 mph. I was not wearing a helmet. On the first rollover, the roof caved in and struck my head causing me to lose consciousness. On a subsequent roll I was ejected and slid/bounced down the highway for about 150 feet (according to a witness). I woke up on the shoulder when I heard the air brakes on a semi stopping to check on me. I suffered a broken back, fractured pelvis, damaged knee and big toe. I lost my watch and shoes. I had a gash on the top of my head requiring stitches but no other head injury. I was not wearing a seat belt because I was driving a 1952 Ford and American cars did not have seat belts back then (only European sports cars). I suffered no injuries to my face or other parts of my head.

This happened many, many years ago. I still do not wear a helmet when driving a car and seldom when riding a Harley. I have gone down at moderate (under 50 mph) speed twice. Once without a helmet with no head or facial injuries. Once with a 3/4 helmet with face visor which resulted in gouges to the visor and scratches to the helmet.

My personal, unscientific, opinion is that if I had not been wearing the helmet and visor I would not have received any facial or head injuries. I believe the weight and diameter of the helmet led to the contact with the road.

If one is scared to ride without a helmet then wear one. Feeling safe will make for a more enjoyable ride. I have never once had a negative thought about someone for wearing a helmet. I think most riders that choose not to wear one feel the same. Unfortunately, going by this forum, it seems many who always wear a helmet like to put down those of us that prefer to ride without one. I read the same critical opinions on other forums by riders who think everyone should ride with ATGATT. They even make fun of riders that wear full face helmets but no armor.

Common courtesy and respect for others...what a concept!

Thanks...

Old 09-24-2010, 12:17 AM
GameShark
Intermediate
Location: Southern Ca, 5 miles north of the Santa Monica Mtns
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GameShark

It's not so much the helmet, it's the stupid helmet construction requirement, 2 plus pounds and 3/4" plus of ridged foam.
On second thought it's the fricken helmet. God, save me from the King.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:22 AM
sparky1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What ever floats your boat,been riding here in chicagoland since 1981,had about 12 accidents,never wore a helmet and never will,but thats just me.When its your time to go ,you're goin no matter what you're wearin or doin.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:26 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 558 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by txfxstrider

As I have posted many, many times, I don't care if anyone wears, or doesn't wear a helmet.
I'm just sharing my experience. And that doesn't include being 'scared' to ride without a helmet. Why would I be 'scared'? I have never suggested that anyone wear a helmet. My only objective is to clarify the issue for people that don't seem to really understand the downside of a crash with no helmet.

I 'grew up' years ago and I never 'preach'.

It is news to me that some people feel they are being 'put down' for not wearing a helmet? I have never seen those posts. But people shouldn't do that. And if anyone is frightened by reading posts that cause them to think about bad things that might happen, there might not be a reason to worry. Quite often a head injury results in immediate death, or leaves a brain so scrambled the rider might never know what has happened.

I believe in freedom of choice. But to be truly 'free' a person should make their choice understanding more of what can happen. And since there are people that still post things like "It's my choice to live or die, so every body STFU", it indicates to me that a lot of people really don't understand the possible ramifications of a head injury.

Ron

Old 09-24-2010, 01:35 AM
harleyriv
Road Master

Originally Posted by *NIGHT TRAIN*
Me too...and here's a pic of my favorite helmet....Hail To Your Chief!

....and to be polite I guess I'll hail to yours......

Last edited by harleyriv; 09-24-2010 at 01:37 AM.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:39 AM
harleyriv
Road Master

Originally Posted by jlbeebe

Thanks for tellin me and the world how fing wise you are. I'll make my choices you make yours!
Thanks for taking the trouble to tell me.......

Old 09-24-2010, 01:42 AM
harleyriv
Road Master

Originally Posted by WWECOUGAR
I agree. Rather pompous ain't he?
Opinions?...pomposity?.....boneheadedness?.....Tha t's life..

Quick Reply: Strange seeing no helmets