General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange seeing no helmets

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 11:47 AM
Thor
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Slikroc
I have always felt that helmets and seatbelts should be the choice of anyone over age 18. But, since insurance companies rates are comprised of the collected group of insurers, they should have the choice to deny coverage to anyone injured due to not wearing belts or helmets.
They don't have that choice in States where riders do actually have the choice. If you're trying to base it on it being "careless", we can just expand that to no insurance coverage if you are found to be going 10 over the speed limit....I'm sure you never do that though,,,,,right?

Old 09-23-2010, 11:49 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

If you want to feel free just leave Calif.Never felt freeier as when I left.It's not only the helmets either!

Old 09-23-2010, 12:14 PM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I choose to wear mine for the most part, though running through town or a quick errand I'll skip wearing it. It sucks being in a helmet state and having to put it on to run from the hotel to get food or gas up before morning, I'd hate that.

I think it's weird seeing EVERYONE wear helmets when I'm in Missouri or Michigan, especially can never get used to seeing my Dad in a helmet.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:36 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHoss
If you want to feel free just leave Calif.Never felt freeier as when I left.It's not only the helmets either!
I've heard this from others, too.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:42 PM
VsTheWorld
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hornhonker
I was out on the curling ice the other night for the first games of the season. About 2 minutes into the game a fellow on a neaby team slipped
and fell backwards. SMACK, his head sounded like a water melon as it
hit the ice. I really don't understand why some sports where falling
is not uncommon don't have manditory helmets. I guess motorcycle riders
are seen too much in public to avoid political do gooders from trying to score points.

Yes I also wear a full face when ever I ride.
did the tax payers foot the bill for the ice rink?

the roads are paid for by public money, so if the public wants you to wear helmets while curling on the public roads then you'll have wear them

just like riding on private land - there are very few motor vehicle violations that can be enforced on private land (not just public parking lots, but actual private land)

I'd rather just have a waiver... no helmet, you waive major medical intervention to save you from a head injury and donate your organs "that others may live"

Old 09-23-2010, 02:36 PM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by VsTheWorld
did the tax payers foot the bill for the ice rink?

the roads are paid for by public money, so if the public wants you to wear helmets while curling on the public roads then you'll have wear them

just like riding on private land - there are very few motor vehicle violations that can be enforced on private land (not just public parking lots, but actual private land)

I'd rather just have a waiver... no helmet, you waive major medical intervention to save you from a head injury and donate your organs "that others may live"
They don't need a waiver where hornhonker lives in Canada. They have national healthcare.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:45 PM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If you live or have lived in a helmet free state, then it's as common as sliced bread.

That's what gets me about these guys (on here and elsewhere) that get on their high-horses about helmet use. For almost 20 years I lived in state where everyone, and I mean almost everyone did NOT wear a helmet - Dr's, lawyers, LEOs and fireman off-duty, etc, etc. No one wore a helmet. They still don't.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:30 PM
harleyriv
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
There's an ******* preacher in every town. Welcome to another helmet thread. The OP posted what he observed and did not ask for jaded opinions.
And nobody asked for your dumass response either...............

Old 09-23-2010, 03:31 PM
harleyriv
Road Master

Originally Posted by *NIGHT TRAIN*
I think some people have their helmets cinched too tight.

It's cutting off the blood to their brains, resulting in their deluded assumption that their nanny-esque opinions on my "right to decide" should matter to me.

It's as amusing as always tho...
Here we go again........Just love helmet threads...

Old 09-23-2010, 03:58 PM
BB4xl
Road Master

I think to many people on here are too worried about going down. If you are that worried don't get on the F#%king bike. Helmet or not! Oh, and screw the insurance companies too!

Quick Reply: Strange seeing no helmets