General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange seeing no helmets

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 06:38 PM
LRHD
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I work in contstruction and always wear a hard hat. I also snow board and wear a helmet then as well. It's doesn't bother me to wear one when I ride. I've seen to many people hurt by not wearing one. To each his own. It was just wierd to see riders without them.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:41 PM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,059 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by Hockey Stick
Before Cal had the law, I sometimes rode with and sometimes without.
________ I didn't even own a Helmut back in the Good Old Days

Old 09-22-2010, 08:58 PM
AThousandHurricanes
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I go to AZ I always do a double take too. I still see most crotchrocketeers wearing FF, prob for wind deflection. It can't be for safety because they also wear shorts and flip flops and...wait that is here too.

Enjoy the freedom out there in free America.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:24 PM
mswmn
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Minnesota is a helmet free state...I chose to wear my daytona skull cap anyway. At least I have a choice.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:27 PM
Hobojo
1st Gear
Thumbs up Being seen

Originally Posted by Sarge19D4M
Live in Arizona here. I only wear my halfie to school campus for the sake of the kids seeing me in one. When I'm off campus- so is my brain bucket.
Thanks for thinking about someone besides yourself. That shows character. Little wonder you do what you do.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:55 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 541 Likes on 241 Posts

I find it interesting that California requires helmets but allows lane splitting. It seems to me you would have more chance to get hurt lane splitting than not wearing a helmet. On my recent trip (which included California) I couldn't force myself to trust cages enough to ride etween them. Had a rider there thell me I could get a ticket for NOT lane splitting in heavy traffic (I didn't believe him). Maybe they require helments BECAUSE they allow lane splitting.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:38 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

i havnt owned a helmet for the last 14years

Old 09-23-2010, 12:01 AM
DZLDR
Road Warrior

My MOM said if I don't wear my helmet,
SHE will VOID "my" warranty!

Old 09-23-2010, 06:37 AM
VsTheWorld
Road Master

Originally Posted by FXDXTSport
I find it interesting that California requires helmets but allows lane splitting. It seems to me you would have more chance to get hurt lane splitting than not wearing a helmet. On my recent trip (which included California) I couldn't force myself to trust cages enough to ride etween them. Had a rider there thell me I could get a ticket for NOT lane splitting in heavy traffic (I didn't believe him). Maybe they require helments BECAUSE they allow lane splitting.
lane splitting is just riding up a skinnier piece of highway for a portion of your ride, not wearing a helmet is taking a chance with your head 100% of your ride

no way splitting is more dangerous than not wearing a helmet, but both should be riders choice in all 50 states (though of the 2, I'd much prefer lane splitting if only one ever gets legalized)

Old 09-23-2010, 07:45 AM
hoosierhog88
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in Indiana. We used to have a helmet law and it was repealed by the state lawmakers.

I hate wearing a helmet, but it seems every time I go for a ride without wearing it, my emergency room RN daughter spots me and rakes me over the coals. She's seen more than her share of why I'm supposed to wear one. I've even wore it to the outskirts of town, stop and take it off... and she, or one of her friends, spots me and I'm in trouble. I rather enjoy the attention, but funny how I'm getting scolded like a teenager coming in past his curfew.

I love the feeling of not having to wear one, but understand the reasons why I should. But I do feel it should be a choice and not mandated by policy or law.

Quick Reply: Strange seeing no helmets