General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stationing in Japan...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 10:41 AM
evo_zero
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stationing in Japan...

I will be transfering to Japan in dec/jan.
Does any one have insight on how this works with bringing mine and my wifes bikes with us?
I appreciate any help and or other information.
Thank you brothers and sisters.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:58 AM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have a few members who are currently stationed in Japan...

I seem to remember one post that was discussing how much time it takes to get a transfered bike certified to be compliant with their emissions or something. Again, if I remember correctly, the majority thought it to be less difficult to purchase over there? I'm sure some one will provide a more definite answer than I have...

Old 09-21-2010, 02:27 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,267 Likes on 1,311 Posts

I heard what CroK heard and also that it was expensive as heck. You going to Okinawa?

Old 09-21-2010, 02:49 PM
bjewell
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 348 Likes on 134 Posts

Your wife and kids will love Japan. Where are you stationed? In the Tokyo region, you will find lots of things to do. The people are great. I'd leave the bikes at home and pick up something there. Roads are incredibly narrow.

It rains. Alot. Ninety percent of all bikes are outside under covers. Rust never sleeps. Traffic drives on the left. Japan makes high quality plonk and "Yebisu" is the best beer and Nihonshu (sake which means liquor in Japanese) is drunk cold. A real joy is ramen at a small ramen-ya on a cold winter night.

Sumo tournaments are fabulous. They are held for 15 days on the odd months with three in Tokyo -- January, May and September. The Tokyo Giants (the Tokyo Kyojin) are universally hated in the rest of Japan, the same as the Yankees here.

The trains are terrific; in fact all public transportation is the best in the world. Riding the Shinkan-sen bullet trains is unbelievably cool. There is almost no crime, and Tokyo has more Michelin Star restaurants than all of France -- in other words, the food in Japan -- all kinds -- is outstanding.

If you ever have questions, please contact me. I lived there for 20 years up until two years ago.

Tom Quinn
aka bjewell

Old 09-21-2010, 03:29 PM
Motorbones
Road Master

Spent 2 yrs at Yokota AB (Apr 78-80). Talk to the section at base HQ that's responsible for shipping your household goods. If things haven't changed much, you should be able to do it, but who knows what restictions there are these days.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:33 PM
TxCowboy
Road Captain

In addition to checking with your local transportation office about shipping the bikes as part of your household goods (lots of special prep is needed to do it), you should also ask about any special licensing and insurance requirements that might be part of the Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) with Japan.

I was in Korea twice (sorry, not Japan) and a few folks either had their bikes shipped over or bought one there and I do recall there were some unique hoops they had to jump through to make it "legal" based upon the SOFA.

And thanks for your service!

HTH.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:53 PM
Kilo6
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I had a friend who just moved there from the ROK and went through this. He moved in June and still hasn't had his bike registered because of his exhaust. First, go to the link below and get certification from HD. I think you will need your brakes certified. Start early because I think they have one guy that provides certification. Also highly recommend you take your stock exhaust so you can pass noise standards or something like that. That's what my friend wished he had done. I would also make sure your bike licenses are in order. Ride safe.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/C...bmLocale=en_US

Old 09-21-2010, 06:44 PM
FREEFALL
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try this.
A great Okinawa based motorcycle forum.

http://www.ggok.com/index.htm
click on forums...

I was in Okinawa for 3 years. Bought a bike there, rode it for 3 years then sold it before I left. PM me if you have specific questions. I'm sure Ron will see this and chime in.

S/F
Freefall

Old 09-21-2010, 07:31 PM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 121 Likes on 87 Posts

I currently live in Japan, but I bought my bike over here because that was less trouble and expense than bringing one over from the U.S. Your bike will need to pass safety and emissions to Japan's standards, which I believe will involve more modifications than just putting the stock exhaust back on. I'm not sure of all the procedures, but I do know this: it ain't gonna be easy or cheap. There will be a lot of red tape involved, unless you can somehow get it waived thru military exemption, which I doubt.

Go to www.gaijinriders.com

There is a forum on which to do a search and ask questions. You can get detailed answers to all your queries there, since it is a forum made up of foreign bikers in Japan.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:56 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I was stationed in ROK and took MAC flights to Japan a few times. ALways had a great time there as a GI (and when I went back as a civilian).

So, maybe it is different in Japan, but.....

Most guys seemed to find it cheaper to buy a bike where they are stationed. WAAaaaaay easier and cheaper than transporting your bike and dealing with local gov't to mod it for local laws.

When it's time to PCS back to CONUS.....just sell your local bike to another GI.

Quick Reply: Stationing in Japan...