General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deer Vs Bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 09:42 AM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Deer Vs Bike

http://lifeisaroad.com/deerkilling.html

This is interesting. The rider did survive.

Old 09-12-2006, 09:48 AM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Deer Vs Bike

ouch, deer are a scarry problem here in upstate New York too

Old 09-12-2006, 10:23 AM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

those have been posted before. I still find it amazing. With all the deer up my way I only hope to be so lucky not to have any serious encounters.

Old 09-12-2006, 11:57 AM
dadofsix
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Around here, deer are so plentiful they are considered vermin.

Kudos to the rider in the story. I am doubly impressed with the fact that he was two up when it happened. I guess it just goes to show that you can't ever practice too much or over-train. Think I'm going to take the next advanced rider course when it comes around.

<><Peace

Old 09-12-2006, 01:00 PM
daveervin
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last week was riding with my daughter when 3 deer ran accross the road in front of us. I slowed way down and when we got to them one decided to go back, barely clearing my front wheel in the process. You never know what they will do. Best defense is to slow down even more than you think necessary.

Old 09-12-2006, 02:14 PM
Wayward Son
Road Master

Be very carefull at dusk and dawn. Seem to move the most around that time. I have seen them move at all times of day and night. Getting ready for the early muzzeloader hunt here in mid October.

Old 09-12-2006, 04:47 PM
torker
Advanced

ORIGINAL: daveervin

Last week was riding with my daughter when 3 deer ran accross the road in front of us. I slowed way down and when we got to them one decided to go back, barely clearing my front wheel in the process. You never know what they will do. Best defense is to slow down even more than you think necessary.
The exact same thing happened to me and the wife a couple of weeks ago but with a different ending.
One crossed the road...I slowed down but saw him jump out of the tall grass in the ditch and carry on his way.
Only thing...there where two of them hiding in the grass and the one that was left streaked out back in front of us.
I hammered the brakes really hard which threw my wife crashing into me and almost knocking me over the tank.
Couldn't go left...there was a pickup coming and the ditch was 6 feet deep on the right.
Tried to get the bike straight up before we clobbered the deer.
He stumbled just before we hit him and that probably saved us. The front wheel hit him square in the rib cage and he was sent flying across the road and into the deep ditch.
He died shortly after with a broken back and prolly a bunch of other ugly stuff.
Got the bike stopped...we both climbed off and caught our breath.
The truck heading towards us was an off duty RCMP officer.
He said that was one of the wildest things he'd ever seen....the smoke from the tires....the big poof of deer hair when we hit him and the deer spinning around in circles on his belly as he disappeared into the ditch. He couldn't believe that we didn't crash and get hurt.
The bike is a Sportster and came through unscathed but for a bent fender and a blown fork seal.
Mostly luck but through the whole slow motion affair all I could think of was to keep the bike pointed straight and to hang on like hell.
This was at 4pm in the bright sunshine. The deer was a duma$$.
Russ