General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

California: AVOID the Cobra Fi2000

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 12:07 PM
Tycho124
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default California: AVOID the Cobra Fi2000

Purchased the Cobra Fi2000 for California Models and had it installed. Went for a ride to Northern California a few days later and the bike ran like CRAP at highway speed or during climbs (e.g. Going over the Grapevine). It ran ROUGH. I managed to make it back and called Cobra to ask them what was happening as was basically told "don't blame us, blame the state of California." WTF? If your unit is going to make things WORSE than why sell it? Now I've got to spend money to get the effing unit pulled from my bike.

If you live in California and are looking for a Fuel Management system...AVOID THE COBRA unit at ALL COSTS.

You've been warned, my brothers and sisters. I've officially taken one for the team.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:11 PM
artz
Road Master

ain't that the shizt ??? Cobra engineering is located in Yorba Linda, CA.
That just ain't right. Screw them.....

Old 09-20-2010, 12:14 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts

Did you get the right model? Also taking it off should be child's play. From their website:

California Models
The industry's best electronic fuel management system is approved for sale in California. The California Fi2000R-ARB fits fuel-injected Harley-Davidson, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha and Victory motorcycles. The new models are available for both closed loop and open loop applications, and are legal for sale and use in California.
The Fi2000R ARB units are model specific and arrive preset for each bike. Each uses OEM-style connectors for easy installation. Like the Fi2000R available in the other 49 states, the Fi2000R-ARB corrects for lean air fuel mixtures under acceleration and load, and at full throttle applications.
To meet California standards it does not, however, adjust for those conditions while in cruise mode. Nor does it allow the user to adjust the unit in any way.

California residents should purchase the Fi2000R ARB, which is approved for sale in California. ARB E.O. No. D-633-1

Old 09-20-2010, 12:16 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,838 Likes on 2,548 Posts

Wasn't that unit designed to ride piggy back on the injectors and just "lengthen" the injector open time? I've never seen one in person but the pics make like they would be pretty simple to install/remove. I also have a DFO on my 05 FXDLI and it's a simple job. Seems the folks at Cobra would have been a more more concerned about their product. Did who ever installed the unit put in the adjustments?

Old 09-20-2010, 12:24 PM
Tycho124
Novice
Default Unit is a joke

I purchased the unit for California models which does not allow for any adjustments at all. When I called the tech to discuss the issues I experienced he told me "yeah...we've been hearing that from California riders." So, they KNOW they have a product that doesn't deliver as promised and are continuing to sell it. Seems dishonorable to me.

I'll just pull the system myself.

Any recomendations on a Fuel managment system? Anyone know a good mechanic who can install it (I'm based in the Los Angeles area).

Old 09-20-2010, 12:36 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by Tycho124
I purchased the unit for California models which does not allow for any adjustments at all. When I called the tech to discuss the issues I experienced he told me "yeah...we've been hearing that from California riders." So, they KNOW they have a product that doesn't deliver as promised and are continuing to sell it. Seems dishonorable to me.

I'll just pull the system myself.

Any recomendations on a Fuel managment system? Anyone know a good mechanic who can install it (I'm based in the Los Angeles area).

Jamie at Fuelmoto. I put in 2 PCV's with his maps. Both bikes run like a top. Do it yourself installs, 15-30 min max. each.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:43 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

the cobra tuner doesnt work very good on any japenese bike i know of..i wouldnt buyone for a harley

Old 09-20-2010, 12:55 PM
kerrycorcoran
Tourer

I think I'd make another call in hopes of getting in touch with a different technician.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:12 PM
brianmz1
Intermediate

Seems pretty lame to me. Im not familiar with theses management systems but are they only setup for a stock motor? Would mods to exhaust or intake have a negative effect? If they cannot not resolve your issue and the tech mentions simuliar reports, I'd asak for a refund. If they dont I'd file a complaint with the BBB. Keep records of calls, names and conversations. Good Luck.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:32 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Quick Reply: California: AVOID the Cobra Fi2000