General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

harley davidsons aging biker problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 08:16 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default harley davidsons aging biker problem

another ridiculous artcile full of overreaction and hyperbole hating on HD:

http://money.cnn.com/2010/09/17/auto...dex.htm?hpt=C2

"Harley's core customer is a middle-aged white American male, a group that will contract in the coming decade. As one blogger wrote, "The 60-70-year old riders have trouble lifting a leg over the seat because of arthritis. And finger joints hurt with the cold air and engine vibration." Women represent just 11% of Harley buyers, and penetration in the African-American and Hispanic markets is similarly limited."

let's analyze this bit of nonsense... most HD riders i see are well under 70 and certainly aren't arthritic. women probably make up LESS than 11% of total riders, and last i checked complete utter domination of the white, middle aged bracket is a pretty sizeable market to command.

i think kawasaki would trade their 18 year old sport bike rider market for HD's 70% of the cruiser share...

Old 09-19-2010, 09:46 PM
Roosterboots
"Utopian Overlord"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by babalu
let's analyze this bit of nonsense... most HD riders i see are well under 70 and certainly aren't arthritic. women probably make up LESS than 11% of total riders, and last i checked complete utter domination of the white, middle aged bracket is a pretty sizeable market to command.
Under 70 - check!
Arthritic - check!
Hip replacement - check!
Patented saddle-up procedure - check!
Women make up less than 11% - check!
Utterly dominated by women - check!
Change oil in wife's sporty ("Da Broom") for free - check!

Teenager on crotch bomb pulling wheelies in the road to impress his girlfriend - check!
Teenager on crotch RPG coasts to a stop to fix clutch lever that fell off while pulling wheelies in the road to impress his girlfriend - check!
Teenager with crotch rock examines my Heritage and sniffs "Whad'ya buy a HARLEY for? Huh?" - check!
Teenager with crotch skate goes back to his broken bike after I tell him that I had wanted a Harley all my life, and now I was finally financially able to buy one for cash - check!
Teenager fixes crotch whistle and recommences his paused wheelie activity while his girlfriend sidles up to me and tells me how much she likes my bike - check!
Miz Roo shows up suddenly - check!

Old 09-19-2010, 10:04 PM
hamdizle
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I waited 10 years to buy my bike.....saving and puting alittle away....I must admit that when I look at the price tag I almost have to slap my self cause 18k for a bike is alot, and for alot of people hard to justify.....but then again you're money doesn't do u any good when you're dead....and the smile on my face when cruzing is priceless...so f%$# it drive fast and take chances....

Old 09-19-2010, 10:09 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

****, i wonder if my bike will make it 50 years until i get to be one of those arthritic 70 year old riders creaking my leg up over the saddle.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:13 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got my first one in 1986 at 29. I helped on the bell curve then.
My second one in 2008. Not sure if I helped or hurt the avg.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:13 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I would bet the guy writing the article has never ridden a motorcycle.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:15 PM
artz
Road Master

crazy world ..... LOL

Old 09-19-2010, 10:18 PM
spaghetti61
5th Gear

Had to wait a while to get my first H-D too. Had to recover from Ex-wife #1 AND #2, child support and all that other stuff. Then Wife #3 wanted a scooter too, so finally this year we were able to afford to purchase a Heritage for her and an Ultra Classic for me, both our dream bikes! Been on rice burners for years but was finally able to make the switch, and now we're never going back!

Both under 70
Neither arthritic
Have a kid on a crotch rocket think my 20 year old daughter on the back of my scoot was my better half? That was priceless. When I told him it was my daughter, he replied, "You never know, you do have a Harley!"

Old 09-19-2010, 10:19 PM
teacherman
Cruiser
Default First Harley at 50...

It's been two weeks, and I already know I will need a bigger bike. Road King, I think. Yah. Road King with the largest possible motor, and some performance stuff, and some skulls and other death chit to make it look purty. I'd say the HD cohort will stay steady. I see more of them on the road than ever before. I don't see the outlaws any more, just doctors, accountants, and insurance actuaries dressed up as outlaws......

Old 09-19-2010, 10:29 PM
jordanball33
Road Master

Originally Posted by toastman
****, i wonder if my bike will make it 50 years until i get to be one of those arthritic 70 year old riders creaking my leg up over the saddle.
im with toastman... but let them know there are a few of us youngsters out here

Quick Reply: harley davidsons aging biker problem