General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my demo ride: omg

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 08:47 AM
dmercy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my demo ride: omg

Yesterday, I decided to try a Road King on account I've had my Dyna a few months and really wish I could take her on very long rides (two + hours) without feeling the pegs.

Harley provided a demo ride yesterday at Brian's HD of Langhorne, PA. It's across the street from my house, so what the heck right?

OMG: what an awesome smooth ride!

Things I had to adjust to: the rear brake required more foot pressure and the hand brake was a bit grabby. Probably just me or the fact this is a new bike. Dunno, I'm really still a newbie with only one season riding... albeit daily riding back/forth to work as well as w/e pleasure rides.

Not sure what the deal was with the blinking ABS light when the bike started. Did notice though after about two minutes, the light stayed out. Dunno if that is normal or if it was an indicator that the brakes were hot from a previous demo ride. No problems I could perceive with the brakes during my ride.

I rode a Sedona Orange one. Never thought I'd like 'orange' but to me this really looks like a copper/orange blend... maybe due to the fine grind of metal flake in the paint? Looks fine to me but the showroom had a 'sold' one in blue... love that color best!

So now I want to find a new unit with ABS, Security, and Cruise.
Sheesh... twice as much dough as my Dyna but I am so impressed with this ride.

When the demo ride comes to your neck of the woods, you'll be in a small group (at least ten riders) and the loop we drove was twelve miles with about half highway and half local roads. Gee, if I had the money, I'd have written a check right there but isn't that a problem I share with nearly everyone?

Wow what a bike.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:08 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

Originally Posted by dmercy
Things I had to adjust to: the rear brake required more foot pressure and the hand brake was a bit grabby. Probably just me or the fact this is a new bike. Dunno, I'm really still a newbie with only one season riding... albeit daily riding back/forth to work as well as w/e pleasure rides.

Not sure what the deal was with the blinking ABS light when the bike started. Did notice though after about two minutes, the light stayed out. Dunno if that is normal or if it was an indicator that the brakes were hot from a previous demo ride. No problems I could perceive with the brakes during my ride.
my road glide with abs is that way with the rear brake requiring more pressure than my old road king did.

the blinking light is the normal operation of the abs. once you get moving past a certain mph, it will go out.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:12 AM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the report! Glad to know my color choice looks great in person And you want all the options I am getting

Old 09-19-2010, 09:17 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

cool
sounds like a good bike for you
only one thing left to do and that is START SAVING
I am scared to test ride a new road glide because I know I would love it and want one, if that makes since

Old 09-19-2010, 10:00 AM
Big_Al47
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 93 Likes on 40 Posts

There is a reason why it's called a Road King

Old 09-19-2010, 10:06 AM
harleyriv
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep...rubber mounting works...

Old 09-19-2010, 10:19 AM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, I did demo rides yesterday too.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...h-d-demos.html

I had the same question about the ABS light. Turns out it's normal, and goes out after a certain speed is reached (I forget what he told me). I agree about the Sedona Orange. I didn't think it sounded very good but was actually awsome in the sunlight... similar to Atomic Orange on the new Corvettes.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:26 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

That orange is one of the few colors I like this year. I was at Brian's yesterday also and chose to demo the streetglide. Demoed one last year and hated the buffeting I got from the low windshield. This year I tried it with my full face helmet and the difference was amazing.

The SG handled well and had significantly more pickup than my Heritage and out of all the tourers it fits me the best. But my Heritage fits me so much better and I feel like I'm part of the bike and not just riding on it.

So I won't be switching anytime soon. Fun to try out new bikes though.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:37 AM
dmercy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyriv
Yep...rubber mounting works...
True. Yet my 05 Dyna is rubber mounted and is smooth but I think the weight of the RK on the air ride is absolutely a far leap beyond my Dyna.

I was thinking to try an Electra but after I sat on a used Road Glide in Brian's showroom, I was greeted by the feeling that I was looking from behind the wheel and over the hood of one of my Dad's old cars... you know, like a Ford Galaxie 500... that kind of long hood. I didn't like that impression.

On the demo ride, a fellow and his gal were on a Road Glide Ultra next to me and they thought the new bike was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I'm sure that bike is very smooth too. Maybe I will try the Electra before my final decision just so that I won't wonder about it later on. About the only negative thing I can find (nit picking now) with a R/K is the placement of the speedo. I'd prefer it like my Dyna but like I told my wife, after a month of riding I've got the feel for the speed of the bike and can almost nail any speed limit by feel so that my glances are so quick and they rarely reveal I need to correct my speed. With such a smooth ride as the R/K, it may take me a bit longer to 'feel' the correct speed but I'm sure I'll 'get it'.

Perhaps a rider of a tourer w/fairing can chime in with your thoughts/ observations? Do you ever feel like the gauges in your face make you distracted or do you mostly just ignore them? And did you have the same first impression that you were glancing over a hood like behind the wheel of a car?

Last edited by dmercy; 09-19-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:47 AM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

The RK is a nice bike but if you want to stick with a Dyna try a Fatbob. Very smooth, handles great and that big front tire is great for long hauls. I tried a RK but I'll stick with my Fatbob.

Quick Reply: my demo ride: omg