General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my demo ride: omg

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 09:35 AM
pugs
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same experience after renting a RK recently. Only thing I didn't like was sitting so far up and forward. Going to test ride a SG and RG to compare. Don't really want to get rid of the superglide so I may have to consider being a two bike garage...

Old 09-21-2010, 10:55 AM
neighbor_boy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Big_Al47
Congrats! Feels great, doesn't it?
(got the RK a week ago today)

It sure does...... Took me 6yrs after my divorce to get my chit and my finances in order.......had a bit of a tear in my eye when I left the dealer...lol

Old 09-21-2010, 12:07 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

IMO, its looks, ride and then Ergonomics when choosing a bike.
Before U buy I believe U should ride more than one to compare.

For me I rode a RK and Heritage.
Bottom line IMO I thought they were almost equal on ride.

Believe me a Heritage rides better than most other Softails, the comfort comes from a lot bigger seat (I love the stocker), bars that fits most people perfect, the floorboards and the FL front end.

I'am over sixty and kinda of ole school, so i love the leather, the spots and the fringe look, I know that look turns a lot of younger riders away.

As stated above and I'll agree the RK made me feel like I was sitting up on top of the bike and the Heritage sits U in it.

The Kings seat is 1 1/2" higher causing that feeling. Plus the bars IMO were to low, just didn't feel as good as the mini apes on the Heritage to me.

I think thats why I see a lot of ad Kings that have changed out the seat and bars... too make them more comfortable.

I've did change the rear seat and rear sissy bar pad for the wifes comfort plus added floorboards for her in the rear, the 07 pillion seat really sucked, but now, 4yrs and 30k miles later I haven't touched or even wanted to change the bars or the stock front seat.

We ride anywhere form 1-5 hrs almost daily, with no pains and that even with my back that I shattered a vertebrae 13 yrs ago.

Either is a great bike and ride.
We just have to find the one that we like and fits us, or spend $$$$ changing it till it does.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:51 PM
jimgaf
Cruiser

I was at Brian's also and thought it was a great event. I requested to demo the Street Glide and got the CVO edition. Lucky I guess but not reality to what i can afford. I currently have a RK and am considering a SG, the radio and ABS is the main reason. I do have concerns with the buffeting and will need to consider a larger w/shield.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:25 PM
dmercy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jimgaf
I was at Brian's also and thought it was a great event. I requested to demo the Street Glide and got the CVO edition. Lucky I guess but not reality to what i can afford. I currently have a RK and am considering a SG, the radio and ABS is the main reason. I do have concerns with the buffeting and will need to consider a larger w/shield.
Yeah, when I asked about a larger windshield, I was told it was an unsafe thing to have one so large as to have your eyes below the level of the windshield. The explanaton had to do with rain on the windshield. I don't get it because if I'm in a rain, I'm probably gonna pull over asap or get off the road completely if I see it coming. All the same, I trust the advice.

To be sure, I will try a unit with a fairing. Can't make up my mind between SG and RG to try. Heck, I'll just try what I can find when I'm more ready to buy.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:11 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by pugs
I had the same experience after renting a RK recently. Only thing I didn't like was sitting so far up and forward. Going to test ride a SG and RG to compare. Don't really want to get rid of the superglide so I may have to consider being a two bike garage...
I find the Dyna's ergonomics fit me better than the Touring models (even better than the Heritage, probably my second favorite HD) ... so, made a DIY convertible based on my Super Glide basic platform .... Someone was mentioning feeling like being 'in' it rather than riding 'on' it ... definitely the way I feel about mine ....

Dyna 'Street Bob' trim -

'Road King' trim -

'Ultra Classic' trim-

Haven't got a truly 'quick-detach' system for the saddlebag brackets, but doesn't take more than about 5 minutes to strip them off ....

Oh ... all in, net of the sale of my take off front end and a few other stock parts sold, I have less than $17,500 including 'tax, title and license' ... still have a few more bucks I could spend to really make it equivalent in 'finish' items ....

R/
'Chop