General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my demo ride: omg

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 10:49 AM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,059 Likes on 633 Posts

... I'm waitin for our Dealer to get a Roadking in so I can take it fur a Spin , Took a new ultra-classic last year fur a Ride , It Was BIG

Old 09-19-2010, 11:14 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

Originally Posted by dmercy
True. Yet my 05 Dyna is rubber mounted and is smooth but I think the weight of the RK on the air ride is absolutely a far leap beyond my Dyna.

I was thinking to try an Electra but after I sat on a used Road Glide in Brian's showroom, I was greeted by the feeling that I was looking from behind the wheel and over the hood of one of my Dad's old cars... you know, like a Ford Galaxie 500... that kind of long hood. I didn't like that impression.

On the demo ride, a fellow and his gal were on a Road Glide Ultra next to me and they thought the new bike was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I'm sure that bike is very smooth too. Maybe I will try the Electra before my final decision just so that I won't wonder about it later on. About the only negative thing I can find (nit picking now) with a R/K is the placement of the speedo. I'd prefer it like my Dyna but like I told my wife, after a month of riding I've got the feel for the speed of the bike and can almost nail any speed limit by feel so that my glances are so quick and they rarely reveal I need to correct my speed. With such a smooth ride as the R/K, it may take me a bit longer to 'feel' the correct speed but I'm sure I'll 'get it'.

Perhaps a rider of a tourer w/fairing can chime in with your thoughts/ observations? Do you ever feel like the gauges in your face make you distracted or do you mostly just ignore them? And did you have the same first impression that you were glancing over a hood like behind the wheel of a car?
i used to have a road king. i put an aftermarket fairing on it mainly for the tunes. a 3000 mile road trip sucks *** without tunes .... turns out i only know the complete words to a very few songs, and i don't sound as good as the band..... the aftermarket fairing is very similar to the factory street glide/electra glide fairing in that with a batwing, everything is 'in your face'....

i now have a road glide. love the fixed fairing. it is spaced out far enough so that you don't feel like your shoved right up into it. takes about a half mile to get used to the fairing not moving with your handlebars. not an issue above 15 mph since you countersteer anyways.

with either fairing, you don't see your front tire. but, you should be looking further down the road than that anyways. it is just a matter of what you want out of your bike, then getting the bike that fits that bill. it doesn't take long to get used to a fairing if that's what fits the bill.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:42 PM
dmercy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
i used to have a road king. i put an aftermarket fairing on it mainly for the tunes. a 3000 mile road trip sucks *** without tunes [..]

with either fairing, you don't see your front tire. but, you should be looking further down the road than that anyways. it is just a matter of what you want out of your bike, then getting the bike that fits that bill. it doesn't take long to get used to a fairing if that's what fits the bill.
Kinda what I figured; thanks much for the feedback. Don't see myself doing a 3k road trip yet going across PA about 600 miles to visit my Dad's grave site, well it's a once/year possibility with a tourer.

Thanks everyone for the info and tips

Old 09-19-2010, 05:45 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Good thing I now steer clear from demo days - hard on the pocketbook

RK is a sweet ride!

Old 09-19-2010, 10:33 PM
pinkfloyd
Stage II

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
That orange is one of the few colors I like this year. I was at Brian's yesterday also and chose to demo the streetglide. Demoed one last year and hated the buffeting I got from the low windshield. This year I tried it with my full face helmet and the difference was amazing.

The SG handled well and had significantly more pickup than my Heritage and out of all the tourers it fits me the best. But my Heritage fits me so much better and I feel like I'm part of the bike and not just riding on it.

So I won't be switching anytime soon. Fun to try out new bikes though.

Still saving for a bike. Been renting once or twice a year for couple days at a time. Have ridden RG ,, RK,, and heritage softail classic.
Gotta agree with jimmers1817....for me the heritage fits the bill.
I feel like i sit down into the heritage and am part of the bike more than the others. I didn't care for the big frame mounted fairing on the RG.
i like the open feeling where you see the road under you in your peripheral vision.... really like the look of the heritage as well.

new to the forum..

thanks

Old 09-20-2010, 05:33 AM
10 RED RK
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Get a RoadKing you will not regret it.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:46 AM
dustineal
Cruiser

I'm with hell bound demo the RG that's where it's at the elite of touring.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:15 PM
crash13
6th Gear

This is the same path I took. Bought a Dyna in 2008, rode it for a year and found out it didn't really fit me for long distances. Traded up to a Road King last year and love it.

Rob

Old 09-20-2010, 07:56 PM
neighbor_boy
Cruiser

I just pulled the trigger on a new RK (Cool Blue). Stepped up from a 92 low rider. WOW!!! what a big difference. I went in to look at a EGC but when I saw the RK.....I knew that it was my bike. I was a little concerned about the weight but after a few hundred miles I don't seem to notice it. (i'm only 5'7")

Anyway......I love my RK

Old 09-21-2010, 09:25 AM
Big_Al47
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 93 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by neighbor_boy
I just pulled the trigger on a new RK (Cool Blue). Stepped up from a 92 low rider. WOW!!! what a big difference. I went in to look at a EGC but when I saw the RK.....I knew that it was my bike. I was a little concerned about the weight but after a few hundred miles I don't seem to notice it. (i'm only 5'7")

Anyway......I love my RK
Congrats! Feels great, doesn't it?

Quick Reply: my demo ride: omg