Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remedy for chipped paint?????

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 09:28 PM
Bigsarge71
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remedy for chipped paint?????

Commuted to work on my Road Glide yesterday and heard a little mettalic clink. After getting home and doing the wipe down i see this mark on my front fender. I rub across it and its a chip down to the metal. I am not wanting buy another fender not just yet. Wondering if there is any other solutions before I go new fender route.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:37 PM
TxCowboy
Road Captain

Paint touch up kits. You should be able to get the paint number(s) on your bike from the dealership. There are probably other sources of this info so others will likely chime in with that info.

Match the paint number to the touch up kit and you're good to go.

BTW, the touch up kits that I've seen look like felt tip markers. Very easy to use.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:07 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

touch up paint from the stealer,new fender or repaint.. only options.. i would touch up,because it is going to happen as long as you ride it on the road..you would be fixing it more then riding

Old 09-18-2010, 10:14 PM
Mr Haus
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by j1mmy
touch up paint from the stealer,new fender or repaint.. only options.. i would touch up,because it is going to happen as long as you ride it on the road..you would be fixing it more then riding

Or he could leave it alone... adds a little character to the bike...

Old 09-18-2010, 11:11 PM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Factory touch-up paint, followed by Langka Blob Eliminator. It works wonders! Since you're down to bare metal, you'll have to dab a bit of primer in there first. The secret to success with the Langka stuff is to use a low-nap cloth with the Langka solution. A microfiber will remove too much of the touch-up paint. A well worn cotton tee that is ready for the rag pile is perfect. BTW, you don't need their special pre-cleaner. Any mild solvent that doesn't leave a residue will work. It's only to remove any built-up wax from the area. I use mineral spirits. On a solid color, you can't even tell there was ever a chip.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:23 AM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

Touch up paint works pretty well...if you take your time. By that i mean plan on several applications. Mistakes are made trying to do it in one touch. Use just a dab, let it dry and then another dab, etc. when you have achieved the depth you want use a fine scratch remover ( I like Meguiars) to blend it in.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:55 AM
juscoop
Tourer

now you can ride it and not have to worry about the little things. If you ride the bike your going to get another one

Old 09-19-2010, 05:14 AM
painey
Road Warrior
Received 241 Likes on 115 Posts

If you was in the Tampa area I could suggest a paint man who could fix that for you for a very reasonable cost

Old 09-19-2010, 05:20 AM
harleyriv
Road Master

Originally Posted by BassCatcher
Touch up paint works pretty well...if you take your time. By that i mean plan on several applications. Mistakes are made trying to do it in one touch. Use just a dab, let it dry and then another dab, etc. when you have achieved the depth you want use a fine scratch remover ( I like Meguiars) to blend it in.
That's the one..................no good on denim though....remedy there, view it from a distance....

Old 09-21-2010, 01:23 PM
smketr7139
Cruiser

agreed on the multi-coat touch up job...use a fine hair brush helps too then like stated earlier use a scratch eliminator to finish... it wont look perfect but a damn site cheaper than the new fender or repaint bill

Quick Reply: Remedy for chipped paint?????