General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got hit this morning

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006 | 07:25 PM
Doodad
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Got hit this morning

About as minor as it could be. Was waiting behind a landscaping Co. van in the left turn lane when the girl driving the van decided she needed to turn right and backed up to change lanes. Backed right into me. Knocked me a couple of feet straight backwards, didn't go down. With lightning reflexes I hit the horn about the time she hit me.
Apparently very minor damage only to the chrome light housing on the front fender. Fender isn't bent and the light still works. Think the tire took most of the impact.
We pulled off and started to exchange info. She had to call her supervisor and he said the Co. policy is to call the PD (big Co., >200 trucks in Denver area). The LEO was very polite, however, cited her for careless and said it was now the policy is to cite someone in every accident no matter how minor. One of my best friends is a retired Sgt. from this PD - Arvada, CO - and they used to have discretion in a minor accident.
I used to drive trucks in college and know how this can happen. It was her fault but I feel for her in that she's a young gal just making a living and now she's in trouble at work and looking at a fine and higher insurance. The City Atty. will bargain the careless down some but not to a non-moving violation since there was an accident involved. Actually I feel lucky that it was so minor. Guess stuff happens.

Old 09-11-2006 | 07:30 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Default RE: Got hit this morning

Glad you're o.k. It's too bad but perhaps she learned a valued lesson cheaply.

Old 09-11-2006 | 07:36 PM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member

be sure to have the front end checked out really good

Old 09-11-2006 | 07:46 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member

Glad you are OK. And she really deserves to be cited, as do all accident causers. Maybe she will learn from it. Youth does not excuse stupidity.

Old 09-11-2006 | 07:52 PM
Dancemax
Cruiser

I am glad u r ok. How much space you did u hav when you were stopped behind her.I will remember your incident and keep at lease 1 car length behind any thing that i stop.

Old 09-11-2006 | 07:56 PM
Doodad
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Dancemax, Thanks and good point. I probably had about half a car length.

Old 09-11-2006 | 08:02 PM
Hiram
Road Captain

Glad to hear your OK. CO State Patrol also have a similar policy about citations at accidents, or at least they used to. Can you beleive they cited my FD ambulance for sliding off the road in an ice storm!! The company policy for my employer is also that PD needs to be called in any accident. It's not always convenient, but it does cover the companies butt.

By all means get the front end checked out and check the front wheel for trueness, it could set up a harmonic wobble at specific speeds.

Old 09-11-2006 | 08:21 PM
HarleyWood
Outstanding HDF Member

Glad you're ok, I always get spooked at intersections and try to stay as visible as possible..but even then sometimefolks just don't "see' us..

for sure get your wheel checked, I hit a large pot hole going fairly slow and didn't think much of it...until I noticed a vibration from about 50mph...turns out my wheel is out of true (stock spoke wheel), dropping it off tomorrow and it'll cost about $50 to have it trued and balanced...assuming it can be trued....otherwise the rim will have to be replaced. that will add a couple hours labor to lace up and the cost of the rim. almost cheaper to replace the dang wheel.

Old 09-11-2006 | 09:57 PM
Punky Brewster
Banned

Just as long as your not hurt,& not too pissed it's all good.Plus the young girl learned a lesson today,,,,we hope

Old 09-11-2006 | 10:06 PM
rotorhead
Cruiser

Glad you are OK, I have a buddy that went down on his fatboy going about 40mph. It is his fault and he is one of those that ride with shorts and flip flops. I have told him many times that it will cost him some day and that day was yesterday. He busted up his shoulders, messed up his hands (no gloves), gashed up his foot, messed up his face, and got stiches in several other places. Those who dont wear protective clothing take warning, it could happen to you.

Quick Reply: Got hit this morning